Transformation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

Re: Transformation

Post by Valbrona »

Do what you have done and you typically end up with a bike that has its handlebar positioned so far away from the saddle that to all intents and purposes it is unrideable.
I should coco.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Valbrona wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 2:31am Do what you have done and you typically end up with a bike that has its handlebar positioned so far away from the saddle that to all intents and purposes it is unrideable.
Only if the flat 'bars were in the correct position for the rider in the first place - the flat 'bars may have been too close to the rider for a comfortable position, in which case the dropped 'bars may have solved the problem.
Good work - I love seeing older bikes modified and re-used :-)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
nsew

Post by nsew »

cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 7:53am
Valbrona wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 2:31am Do what you have done and you typically end up with a bike that has its handlebar positioned so far away from the saddle that to all intents and purposes it is unrideable.
Only if the flat 'bars were in the correct position for the rider in the first place - the flat 'bars may have been too close to the rider for a comfortable position, in which case the dropped 'bars may have solved the problem.
If the position on the hoods is ahead of the dropouts the steering will be a disaster. Potentially dangerous.
Krashper

Post by Krashper »

Great work! Just goes to show any alu frame can look like a pro without the silly high-street-cheapo colours and branding.

You've returned dignity to that frame. The bike's got class! :D
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

nsew wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 8:09am
If the position on the hoods is ahead of the dropouts the steering will be a disaster. Potentially dangerous.
Really? I thought that when riding on the hoods the riders weight should be close to or directly over the contact patch of the front tyre- helps keep the wheel straight and gives direct feel to the steering
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
nsew

Post by nsew »

cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 6:04pm
nsew wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 8:09am

Really? I thought that when riding on the hoods the riders weight should be close to or directly over the contact patch of the front tyre- helps keep the wheel straight and gives direct feel to the steering
Yes, on a racing bike which is designed to travel at speed and requires the steering to respond to small shifts. Those riders lean to steer. Hence the shorter top bars and long stems of pro racers. That kind of steering is not stable at slower speeds when negotiating trails, paths, people, in traffic etc.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"...on a racing bike which is designed to travel at speed and requires the steering to respond to small shifts. Those riders lean to steer. Hence the shorter top bars and long stems of pro racers. That kind of steering is not stable at slower speeds when negotiating trails, paths, people, in traffic etc."

My carbon KTM frame was factory race issue a few years ago. I regularly ride it in urban traffic and on tow paths, bridleways, dry tracks. I had not realised I am in such danger.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Krashper wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 4:28pm Great work! Just goes to show any alu frame can look like a pro without the silly high-street-cheapo colours and branding.

Well said!
jb

Post by jb »

warey4life wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 9:16pm
jb wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:26am
warey4life wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 8:53am

I used one of these:
Neat idea. Shame it doesn't fit steel frames or I'd do the same with my Muddy Fox.
What about one of these?

Screenshot_20210705-211351~2.png
Yeah I've seen them thanks. The trouble is they put all the force on the one seat stay tube, A steel frame designed for calipers had a little brace down to the chain stay to spread the load.
I suppose I could make a brace to clamp in place some how. It's just trying to keep it neat looking and not like you've fastened a scaffolding structure onto your frame.
Cheers
J Bro
nsew

Post by nsew »

djnotts wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 8:22am "...on a racing bike which is designed to travel at speed and requires the steering to respond to small shifts. Those riders lean to steer. Hence the shorter top bars and long stems of pro racers. That kind of steering is not stable at slower speeds when negotiating trails, paths, people, in traffic etc."

My carbon KTM frame was factory race issue a few years ago. I regularly ride it in urban traffic and on tow paths, bridleways, dry tracks. I had not realised I am in such danger.
Your KTM doesn’t have the hoods set up ahead of the dropouts. However as a middle aged overweight bloke in Lycra you are statistically in danger.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

" ....middle aged overweight bloke in Lycra you are statistically in danger."

Does being over 70 and BMI sub-20 protect me? Weird!
nsew

Post by nsew »

The OP can easily rectify the obvious dodgy steering / geometry problem by running a shorter stem and fitting shallower bars with less reach. Otherwise the only comfortable steering position on the bike is riding on the tops with poor access to the brakes.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

My old 1996/7 Saracen PowerTrax in raw allu is in my father in laws shed!I gave it him 20-odd years ago.I might ask him if I can have it back :mrgreen:
It originally had a rigid fork but he put a cheap suntour fork on it.

*Edit*

It's now mine again.I can feel a project coming on 8)
jb

Post by jb »

Judging by the height of the seat in the first picture & the height in the second picture I would say that the OP is taller than the original owner. So the steering stem could well be just the right distance for him. But what's it matter, if it's not I'm sure it can be shortened.
I think it's a great conversion and good use of an old frame that probably still has many miles left in it.
Cheers
J Bro
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

Krashper wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 4:28pm Great work! Just goes to show any alu frame can look like a pro without the silly high-street-cheapo colours and branding.

Cheers 👍