Transformation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
warey4life

Re: Transformation

Post by warey4life »

Hellhound wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 1:04pm My old 1996/7 Saracen PowerTrax in raw allu is in my father in laws shed!I gave it him 20-odd years ago.I might ask him if I can have it back :mrgreen:
It originally had a rigid fork but he put a cheap suntour fork on it.

*Edit*

It's now mine again.I can feel a project coming on 8)
Do it!!

My brother has just given me this beaten up Pace frame so looks like I'll be occupied for a while
Attachments
Pace
Pace
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

Valbrona wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 2:31am Do what you have done and you typically end up with a bike that has its handlebar positioned so far away from the saddle that to all intents and purposes it is unrideable.
I originally put a 50mm stem on it which I found put me in too much of an upright position, so I painted up a 100mm stem that used to be on an old Kona Roast MTB.
Took the new bike out last night on its maiden voyage 20miles along the Blackdown hills and back on the A38.
Very rideable indeed.
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

I have also considered stripping the paint off an old aluminium frame, but I wonder, how will bare aluminium fare in the long run exposed to the elements without any any protective treatment ior polishing at least?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Well I've got it back!
It's actually a Sararcen Dirt-Trax Sport and it's chromed not raw allu!
It's in a bit of a sad state.Weird raised stem and bars and 'V' brakes instead of the cantis it originally had.h.I'm not sure which way to go with it.Needs either re-chroming or stripping back to raw.
Last edited by Hellhound on 2 Aug 2021, 5:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

warey4life wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 9:16pm
jb wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:26am
warey4life wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 8:53am

I used one of these:
Neat idea. Shame it doesn't fit steel frames or I'd do the same with my Muddy Fox.
What about one of these?

Screenshot_20210705-211351~2.png
I had one of those cheaper brackets and its now in its perfect habitat - the bin! Every time I braked hard it bent or moved so had to keep stopping the bike to recentre it. My advice would either be to stick with rim brakes, buy the A2Z mount or try and pick of a disk frame
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

Hellhound wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 7:33pm Well I've got it back!
It's in a bit of a sad state.Weird raised stem and bars and 'V' brakes instead of the cantis it originally had.h.I'm not sure which way to go with it.Needs either re-chroming or stripping back to raw.
If your willing to part with some cash you could take it to get shot blasted and powder coated. I've a two frames done before, the last one cost me £60.
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

Cyckelgalen wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 4:15pm I have also considered stripping the paint off an old aluminium frame, but I wonder, how will bare aluminium fare in the long run exposed to the elements without any any protective treatment ior polishing at least?
My bare alloy frame still looks good, I just used car polish on it.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

warey4life wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:51pm
Hellhound wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 7:33pm Well I've got it back!
If your willing to part with some cash you could take it to get shot blasted and powder coated. I've a two frames done before, the last one cost me £60.
I can shot blast it at work.
I'm hoping to leave the finish raw rather than paint.pics here:-
viewtopic.php?p=1626903#p1626903
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

Mine is raw ally. I think it looks OK. I just have to polish it once in a while and dry it off when it's been out in the rain.
Attachments
IMG_20210717_095458_0~4.jpg