Replacing XT v-brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pliptrot

Replacing XT v-brakes

Post by pliptrot »

I have XT v brakes - 1998 models with the parallelogram mechanism - and was wondering about their durability. They were always rattly but may be getting worse. Does anyone have any experience of failure on these? I may change them as a precaution but thought I'd canvass opinion first. The choice out there is getting much less.
TheBomber

Re: Replacing XT v-brakes

Post by TheBomber »

I have first generation XT V brakes so probably about the same age. They have lots of play in them and consequently can be difficult to setup so the blocks don’t howl in the wet. The rattling has largely been tamed by a zip tie loosely fitted around the parallelogram bit. Despite all this they still work well so not thinking of changing them.

There used to be a service kit for replacing the parts that wear and cause the slop. Doubt it’s still available.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

XT V brakes were among the best of this calibre of brake. Solid and reliable, a step up from LX, two step ups from Deore and considerably better balanced stopping power than Alivio and Acera. Can't fathom out why they would rattle unless the pivots have been extraordinarily hard-worked or the springs are worn out. Are the brake arms greased and tightened on to the bosses? Are the return springs centring the brake unit of their accord? I see SJS Cycles have a stock of XTs. Might be worth swapping them over if the existing calipers are way too worn.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Eyebrox wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 10:04am Can't fathom out why they would rattle unless the pivots have been extraordinarily hard-worked or the springs are worn out.
I believe the OP's XT brakes are a little different - probably like these:
IMG_1204.jpg
The extra gubbins keep the blocks parallel to the rim as they wear down. Unfortunately they also rattle. At some point Shimano have given up with this design so XTs now operate like every other V brake.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Those are they. I have been informed that they can be disassembled, so I am going to do that and inspect all parts. They are on a Voodoo Bizango - my first Taiwanese built frame (bought off ebay as an interim measure while I pondered on a replacement for my Croydon-made jewel (crashed)) and it is my absolute favourite MTB. So I will persevere with 26" wheels and v-brakes. Sad really, but it was less than 20% of the cost of a UK built equivalent.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

The Bomber - thanks for info.