Seized hub nuts/cones

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
doffcocker

Seized hub nuts/cones

Post by doffcocker »

Hi all,

I am currently trying to follow this procedure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XxoPHWbI4

but have hit a brick wall when I get to the step at 1:30, removing the cones and lock nuts. It's just not moving at all and I have tried boiling water soak etc.

Is it normal for this to be so difficult or am I fighting a losing battle? The next thing I was gonna try is a penetrant oil.

Any other tips and advice?
Jdsk

Re: Seized hub nuts/cones

Post by Jdsk »

The cassette is off?

And you're now working on the other side?

Can you add a photo of the two wrenches on the nuts?

Jonathan

PS: If you're going to try a release agent then do use a penetrating oil such as PlusGas rather than anything general purpose, just as you say. And give it a bit of time to work.
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

When you say, give it a bit of time, how long would you recommend?
Attachments
bikkkk.jpg
bikk2kk.jpg
rjb

Post by rjb »

If it's too tight to budge and it looks like you have rounded the locknut, Its worth tightening the left side cone a fraction using a spanner on the right side locknut and the cone spanner on the left side cone. Using a correctly size spanner (usually 17mm) would be best. I wouldn't use an adjustable in this circumstance as it's not a good secure fit on the locknut. Tightening the cone a fraction should enable easier removal of the left side locknut. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
nsew

Post by nsew »

Grief
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Removal of that nut
doffcocker wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 9:53pm When you say, give it a bit of time, how long would you recommend?
Overnight is good.

Is that locknut rounded, as suggested above? if it is and has no flats left for an appropriate wrench than to remove it I'd use a self-grip wrench such as a Mole. But only to remove the one that's damaged.

After removal of that nut

What's the across-face diameter of the nuts?

As above, don't use an adjustable wrench, and I strongly agree about getting some appropriate wrenches, eg:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?ter ... d=icetoolz

And you're going to need a new nut.

Jonathan
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

As you're going to need a new nut anyway, you could use a file or a Dremel to make two large flats on that damaged outer nut. Then you could grip it properly with the adjustable spanner in your photo. (I presume you don't have a bench vice, which would be best of all)

Alternatively, use the file or Dremel to take so much off the nut that the remains fall away :mrgreen:
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Thanks all. Still no joy even after an overnight deep penetrating oil soak.

Assuming this is a chizzel away with a drill type job in the end, how will I know exactly what replacement nuts etc I need to buy?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

doffcocker wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:44am Still no joy even after an overnight deep penetrating oil soak.
What tools are you now using?

Try some heat.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

doffcocker wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:44am... how will I know exactly what replacement nuts etc I need to buy?
What's the across-face diameter of the good ones on the other side?

Jonathan
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:48am
doffcocker wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:44am... how will I know exactly what replacement nuts etc I need to buy?
What's the across-face diameter of the good ones on the other side?

Jonathan
The measurement I am getting from the adjustable wrench is 16mm.
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:46am
doffcocker wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:44am Still no joy even after an overnight deep penetrating oil soak.
What tools are you now using?

Try some heat.

Jonathan
I'm not sure it's relevant anymore as the situation just took a whole new turn.

I have somehow inadvertently unlocked the hub from the cassette side resulting in a number of bearings spilling out.

I have managed to group everything according to which side it belongs to but I'm now just left with pieces.

Is it salvageable?
doffcocker

Post by doffcocker »

Attachments
bikkssqskk.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have another look at the article on overhaul to which I linked in your earlier thread.

As you'll see the next step is to look at the track on the cones where the ball bearings run.

If this is in good condition (and nothing else is bust) then you can rebuild the whole thing. You might need some new parts in addition to the locknut...

Jonathan
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Salvagable - yes - depending on the state of the cones, in the hub...

What hub is it?