Shimergo

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fredN4

Shimergo

Post by fredN4 »

Bonjour
grateful for advice from anyone who has successfully fitted a 9 speed shimano cassette to campagnolo 10 speed Ultra shifters and campag record RD. FD is campag record 50/34 carbon.
I also have a 10 speed Centaur equipped bike that I would like to make the same mod.
From what I have read the cable pull ratio is almost identical.
I have RD droppers ordered
I have a shimano freewheel hub for my mavic wheels.
Campag sprocket spacers necessary?
I would index from the centre sprocket.
I know about the jtek thingy
Many thanks
sportivement
Fred
Last edited by fredN4 on 20 Jul 2021, 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.
colin54

Re: Shimego

Post by colin54 »

He's some previous threads about Shimergo set-ups, worth a read .

viewtopic.php?t=34934
viewtopic.php?t=42982
viewtopic.php?t=31110
viewtopic.php?t=38963
Nu-Fogey
fredN4

Re: Shimergo

Post by fredN4 »

thank you
slowster

Post by slowster »

The difference in sprocket pitch is 0.2mm (4.35mm for Shimano 9 sp vs 4.15mm for Campagnolo 10 sp, per Chris Juden's article linked below). Therefore the maximum mis-alignment will be plus or minus 0.8mm for sprockets 1 and 9 with indexing centred on sprocket 5.

I use a 7 speed casette with 8 speed down tube levers, which similarly have a 0.2mm differential with a maximum mis-alignment of plus or minus 0.6mm for sprockets 1 and 7, and the indexing is fine. With two more sprockets on a 9 speed cassette you would be 'pushing the envelope' by another 0.2mm (from 0.6mm to 0.8mm). I think you would probably find it OK, but the only way to find out is actually to try it.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... ocketpitch

(Post edited to take account of the fact that in these scenarios indexing of the chain on the largest and smallest sprockets will not be determined by the limit screws.)
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

many thanks for the link. that was where I had read about C10 working withS9.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

fredN4 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:19pm many thanks for the link. that was where I had read about C10 working withS9.
For years I have been using the following set-up on my bikes:
* Campag 10s Ultrashift levers
* Campag 9s or 10s front derailleurs
* Campag 9s or 10s rear derailleurs
* Shimano 9s rear hub
* Shimano 9s cassette

All of the above has provided crisp, accurate shifting.

Some of the later generation Campag 9/10s derailleurs can be used with Campag 9 or 10s levers.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I would try a 9 speed Shimano cassette to see if the shifting was good enough. If it proved not to be, I would try respacing the cassette to match the Campagnolo 10 speed sprocket pitch.

To do that the cassette would need be the type that comprises individual sprockets riveted together, as opposed to the more expensive versions with some of the largest sprockets on a single carrier, e.g. XT. It would be necessary to drill out the rivets, and then replace the spacers with 0.2mm thinner ones. According to Sheldon Brown Shimano 9 speed spacers are 2.56mm. A possible source of thinner spacers would be a Shimano 10 speed cassette, which uses 2.35mm spacers.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

However, according to that webpage Campagnolo 10 speed uses variable sprocket spacing. The extent of the variation is not clear, and differences in sprocket and spacer widths, plus differences in them between the ranges, adds to the confusion. There has been at least one previous thread covering that subject with posts by Brucey and MickF. Rather than try to get to the bottom of it all, at least to begin with, I would just respace a Shimano 9 speed cassette with uniform spacing.

Note that if you remove the rivets from a cassette, you will probably not be able to get away with significantly less than the recommended torque for tightening the cassette lockring. Even if the lockring is fully tightened to minimise sprocket movement on the freehub, if the freehub is aluminium alloy (as opposed to a standard steel freehub as used by Shimano), I suspect you may be likely to find that the sprockets will 'bite'/gouge into the freehub splines.
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

De Sisti wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 2:33pm
fredN4 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:19pm many thanks for the link. that was where I had read about C10 working withS9.
For years I have been using the following set-up on my bikes:
* Campag 10s Ultrashift levers
* Campag 9s or 10s front derailleurs
* Campag 9s or 10s rear derailleurs
* Shimano 9s rear hub
* Shimano 9s cassette

All of the above has provided crisp, accurate shifting.

Some of the later generation Campag 9/10s derailleurs can be used with Campag 9 or 10s levers.
many thanks.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

slowster wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:04pm Note that if you remove the rivets from a cassette, you will probably not be able to get away with significantly less than the recommended torque for tightening the cassette lockring. Even if the lockring is fully tightened to minimise sprocket movement on the freehub, if the freehub is aluminium alloy (as opposed to a standard steel freehub as used by Shimano), I suspect you may be likely to find that the sprockets will 'bite'/gouge into the freehub splines.
I have not found this to be the case.
slowster

Post by slowster »

De Sisti wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 8:24am
slowster wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 8:04pm Note that if you remove the rivets from a cassette, you will probably not be able to get away with significantly less than the recommended torque for tightening the cassette lockring. Even if the lockring is fully tightened to minimise sprocket movement on the freehub, if the freehub is aluminium alloy (as opposed to a standard steel freehub as used by Shimano), I suspect you may be likely to find that the sprockets will 'bite'/gouge into the freehub splines.
I have not found this to be the case.
Gouging of aluminium freehub bodies is enough of a problem that Hope offer the alternative option of stainless freehubs, and Spa even make a point of supplying that version as the default. Bitex freehubs have stainless splines embedded in their aluminium freehub bodies to prevent the problem.

The subject was discussed in some detail in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=142975.
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

C10 record shifters working nicely with S9 12-36 cassette and 50-34 campag chainset. Only gear I cant get is 50 front 36 rear, even with a dropper. But my RD is an ancient campag record 10 speed short cage. Small front to big rear works v nicely, which was the required aim.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

What is the advantage of a Shimergo set up nowadays?

I appreciate that when Shimano had “washing line” shifters, it was hard to fit a bar bag, but they did away with these a few years ago and all cables are routed under the bars with their modern shifters, which are available in 8 speed (Claris), 9 (Sora), 10 (Tiagra) or 11 (105 and above). Not sure which group sets have a triple, if any, which could be one reason for using Shimergo.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

bar bags? do keep up. read my original post.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I presume that when we are talking Shimergo that it marries up Campag' shifters with a Shimano RD.
In which case 10 speed Ergo's do not directly match 9 speed Shimano unless using the "Hubbub" style cable attachment.
Campag' 10 pulls 2.8mm and Shimano 9 pulls 2.5mm. So over 9 sprocket's (8 clicks) gives an total over-shift error of 2.4mm. Half this if you setup the RD on the middle sprocket giving and error of 1.2mm over-shift at each end. Whether this would work sweetly I don't know. ?
(Slightly off-topic, Campag' 10 works spot on with Shimano 8. )
You'll never know if you don't try it.
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

campag RD. As posted!