Broken frame. New XC/Trail bike...?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
esuhl

Broken frame. New XC/Trail bike...?

Post by esuhl »

In 2010, I bought my first "proper" bike -- a B'Twin Rockrider 8.1 for £500 (a hardtail XC mountain bike). It's been my pride and joy, but unfortunately the frame has split at the top of the seat tube.

Annoyingly, I JUST spent £800+ upgrading the brakes/rotors, fork, and and front shifter/derailleur. But the frame is for 26" wheels and a 3x9 drivetrain, and it's been hard to find replacement components. So I guess it's not worth replacing the frame, and I need a whole new bike...?

I sort-of know what I want from a new bike... But I'm overwhelmed with all the options...

----------

My old XC bike was great, but it was nearly impossible to fit a heavy-duty (50 kg max) pannier rack -- I'd like that to be a LOT easier on my new bike. I also had to raise the stem and reduce the reach for a much more upright riding position.

I was very happy with the 3x9 drivetrain (22-44t/11-34t) once I upgraded to SRAM X9. And the new fork is a (~£240) Rockshox Recon Silver TK Solo Air with 100mm travel and a remote lockout on the handlebars. Again, it's perfect.

And I'd want to use my existing SRAM Code RSC brakes and 6-bolt rotors on the new bike. So would it be worth getting a cheap bike with basic components and upgrading the drivetrain (and fork?) as well? I have all the tools. :-/

I don't ride any "gnarly"/sporty MTB trails. So I'm guessing 27.5" wheels would be better (lighter, stronger, cheaper) than 29" ones...? Are through-axles the new standard replacing QR skewers...?

---

Can anyone give me ANY vague hints or tips to narrow-down the "perfect" bike for me...? Even a rough idea of how much I need to spend would be helpful!

Cheers :-)
peetee

Re: Broken frame. New XC/Trail bike...?

Post by peetee »

esuhl wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:09pm
Annoyingly, I JUST spent £800+ upgrading the brakes/rotors, fork, and and front shifter/derailleur.
Good Lord! Who charged you that much and what did you have fitted?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

peetee wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:47pm Good Lord! Who charged you that much and what did you have fitted?
I used Rose Bikes, Wiggle, Amazon and eBay. I got a Rockshox Recon Silver TK Solo Air fork (~£240), SRAM Code RSC brakes (~£230 each), and SRAM X9 front derailleur/shifter (~£70). The rotors are 180 mm Avid Centerline (£45 each) and needed (~£15 each) mount adaptors.

So that's about £800 without tools (bleed kit adaptor, star-nut setting tool, hydraulic cable cutters, hacksaw, mallet...). And I won't mention the fact that I used the mallet in the living-room, where the head flew off and smashed the TV. Sigh. It's been an expensive few months. :roll:

I was really happy with these components. They were the perfect upgrades.

Hopefully I can use the brakes on a new bike, at least.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Might sound a bit too simple, but is it possible to repair the frame? Certainly in the short term till the supply issues ease.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

New bike might be nice. But, you'll take a financial hit on all the used components to dispose of from the broken bike.

Another approach might be to search the s/hand ads for an older bike with a good quality frame to take the existing parts. There will be such things around, just spotting them.

My off-road bike is now over 20 years old.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Whereabouts are you?

There's a SH Decathlon XC frame for sale on Gumtree at the moment. It's in SE London, and you'd be wise to check for damage beneath that chainstay protector before you purchased. I've no connection with the vendor.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycle-acces ... 1401037705
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

simonhill wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 7:40am Might sound a bit too simple, but is it possible to repair the frame? Certainly in the short term till the supply issues ease.
I don't know... I assumed a split round the seat tube couldn't be repaired. Are there companies who might be able to weld/fix it...?
Nigel wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 8:21am New bike might be nice. But, you'll take a financial hit on all the used components to dispose of from the broken bike.

Another approach might be to search the s/hand ads for an older bike with a good quality frame to take the existing parts. There will be such things around, just spotting them.

My off-road bike is now over 20 years old.
Yeah... Good advice! It would make sense to just replace the frame if possible.
Norman H wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 9:09am Whereabouts are you?

There's a SH Decathlon XC frame for sale on Gumtree at the moment. It's in SE London...
I'm between Camberley and Woking town centres in Surrey. Unfortunately it looks like that frame has been sold, but thanks for the tip. :-)

I saw an eBay listing for a B'Twin XC bike, 3 or 4 years old, that's very similar to mine. It's £350, but it's local (collection only), and the wheels/rims would be worth having... Mine have been badly abused! And the frame looks immaculate. Hmmmmmm..... :?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Admittedly everything has a Covid premium at the moment but I bet you would find a frame. if you are after heavy load carrying capacity consider an old steel one. Rack mounts etc are likely although does any frame have a planned 50kg load capacity. Not sure of the length of your new forks so, if matched to a much older frame, the handling may suffer. Or it may become more modern with longer forks and a slacker head angle.
You will take a hit on selling those parts second hand although inch and eighth forks are in demand if that is whhat you have.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re mending the frame.

As it is ali, it will need special welding, and/or maybe a sleeve - but I'm no expert. If interested in trying this, maybe post photo of the failure or a better description. Some of the techies will be able to advise. Otherwise you could ask at your local bike shop.

Getting a 'new' secondhand frame would be easier, but carefully check it or you could be back to square one.