Cinelli 1R bar clamp bolt

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Norman H

Re: Cinelli 1R bar clamp bolt

Post by Norman H »

M7 X 1mm cap head screws are readily available. If and when the existing M7 X 0.75mm screw fails you'd have nothing to loose by drilling out the female threaded part and fitting an M7 X 1mm Helicoil. The Helicoil thread should be stronger than the original fine thread.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Norman H wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 9:59pm M7 X 1mm cap head screws are readily available. If and when the existing M7 X 0.75mm screw fails you'd have nothing to loose by drilling out the female threaded part and fitting an M7 X 1mm Helicoil. The Helicoil thread should be stronger than the original fine thread.
Just on that note; is the M7 x 0.75 thread cut directly into the alloy stem, or is there a steel insert of some sort?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I suspect it will be cut directly into the alloy. As I understand it best practice is to use a steel thread insert but cost considerations usually means that this isn't the case. I'm sure Brucey would have an opinion.
slowster

Post by slowster »

531colin wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 3:01pm Just on that note; is the M7 x 0.75 thread cut directly into the alloy stem, or is there a steel insert of some sort?
Photograph of the parts from here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vint ... -stem.html

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thankyou.

And the screw of interest is the one going into that receiver with the angled face?

Jonathan
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Looking at slowster's picture it's possible that the wedge itself is manufactured from steel. If not anyone who was handy with a file ought to be able to manufacture one that was.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Wow.
Whatever was wrong with a pinch bolt?
I thought all those things had died and been buried long, long ago.
(note the crack in the ali. wedge piece in the photo!)
rjb

Post by rjb »

It might be feasible to drill the wedge and retap it to 5/16" UNF. Its needs a tapping drill of 6.9mm :wink:
Table of thread dimensions here.
https://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/thread- ... ns-4-w.asp
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have one of these on my 1980 Bob Jackson bought thanks to the largesse of the patron saint of police officers Lord Edmund-Davies. That was the first new bike I had ever owned and I splashed out on all what was then the top-spec kit including this stem. IIRC, the big gripe was that they often creaked, especially if not tightened up "just right" first time. Mine has never been undone since it went on the (Cinelli Mercx) bars. When it's been in for a respray I removed the stem and bars as a single unit. I suppose it shows that a posh name may mean little.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 3:32pmAnd the screw of interest is the one going into that receiver with the angled face?
Because if it is and the thread is damaged and it's a size that's hard to find then I'd consider getting a new receiver made with a more common thread.

As well as having the cracked aluminium piece repaired.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I bought a 1R in 1978 but whilst it looked the dogs, because the wedge tended to ovalize the bars, it was a complete b@*!h to make later adjustments. I went over to the rare as hens teeth (literally 6 month delivery from the factory in Japan) Shimano Dura Ace, which, whilst looking quite similar at first glance, used a different clamping arrangement that doesn't ovalize the bars.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

25miles today.
The bars were solidly in position.
Tried to move them, braked hard a few times on the hoods, and held the drops and pulled and pushed.
Solid as a rock.

Fitted in 1986, and only really released recently. Same Cinelli 64-40 bars.

Sleeping dogs.
Leave it alone, it works, and looks lovely. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pq

Post by pq »

Of course if it gives no trouble you should leave it alone. I had a 1R long ago but soon sold it because it was heavier and worked less well than a 1A. But I missed the look of the 1R so bought an XA which looked like a 1R but had a 1A clamp which was almost completely hidden - best of both worlds. In fact it's still on the bike now although it's been gathering dust in the attic for a long time now.

But the best quill stem I've ever had was a Dura-Ace AX. Like the 1R it had a hidden clamping mechanism, but unlike the 1R it was properly executed so it worked and didn't flatten your bars. Cleverly it came with a very long allen key which meant you could have a short (and therefore very light) expander bolt which you reached with the supplied key. The same principal applied to the clamp mechanism.
One link to your website is enough. G