How to centre Suntour SE Brakes ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zenitb

How to centre Suntour SE Brakes ?

Post by zenitb »

I am currently renovating a rather nice early 1990s Thorn Discovery tandem. It has lots of thoughtfully specced classic '90s kit on it including Suntour "Self Energising" cantilever brakes front and rear. The front one has what I think is a Thorn sourced adaptor and sits behind the forks.

I have seen in previous posts there are a few people on this forum that have used these brakes successfully although I cant find anything regarding centering them.

Although the brakes seem powerful the front one is not well centred and I cannot see any adjusting screw (as you would find on a modern V-brake). Did this type of brake use the three holes in the canti stud mounting for centering adjustment ? or do you use some sort of adjustment on/within the brake body itself ?

I know I am being a bit lazy - I could take the things off and play with them but rather than break something on this classic tandem I thought I would ask first....
Jdsk

Re: How to centre Suntour SE Brakes ?

Post by Jdsk »

zenitb

Re: How to centre Suntour SE Brakes ?

Post by zenitb »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:35pm Instructions:
http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/S ... ctions.pdf

Jonathan
Johnathan that looks perfect ..I can see the explanation at Step 3. Many thanks.