rigid fork replacement for 2003/4 Gary Fisher MTB?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
KatyFox

rigid fork replacement for 2003/4 Gary Fisher MTB?

Post by KatyFox »

The front Rock Shocks forks on my 2003/4 Gary Fisher Tassajaro are completely shot and need replacing but I am unsure whether to put new suspension forks back on (lockable ones) or change to rigid forks. Nowadays I don't do any downhill and not much rough riding. I mostly ride off road but on gravel tracks, fields, green lanes etc and I also do bike packing (off road). I am not heavy (9.5 stone) and noticed that my suspension forks weren't ever working too hard anyway but I am used to the softer ride in my arms/shoulders on bumpy/stony ground. My husband has just bought a new gravel bike to replace his 1980s Gary Fisher but I want to keep my beloved Tassajaro going - any advice?
Last edited by KatyFox on 29 Jul 2021, 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
rotavator

Re: rigid fork replacement for 1994 Gary Fisher MTB?

Post by rotavator »

If you decide to get a rigid fork, you need to match the axle to crown distance to keep the geometry similar; measure it when the suspension fork is lightly loaded. Also measure the steerer's width and axle OLN length before you go hunting for a suitable replacement.

Also decide:
Do you want to keep your existing brake? This would be a good time to switch if you are not happy with your current front brake.
Do you want/need eyelets for attaching mudguard or rack?
Material/s?
Colour? But you are unlikely to have much choice
Maximum tyre width that you want to fit.

Check out Surly and https://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php to get an idea about what is available.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thorn/SJS make a Reynolds rigid fork specifically to replace MTB suspension forks (with a travel of 80/100mm) , the 'Mt Tura', I have a similar twin plate design fork of theirs on a bike, it's a well made, nice springy fork.
You would need to check with them if it's suitable for your needs, dependent on the travel/length etc of your existing fork - £110.
Somebody over at the Retrobike Forum might be able to point you at something cheaper, lots of knowledge about 80's / 90's MTB's over there.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/26-th ... att-black/
Last edited by colin54 on 27 Jul 2021, 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
Bice

Post by Bice »

Well, I am having great fun on my Marin of the same vintage, done up as a tourer.

I went from Salisbury to Frome on it in the heat of last week and it performed really well. Also the 37-mile Shoreham to Guildford 'downs link' track, which was rough and very muddy, and which I praised (perhaps excessively) here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=146678&p=1619697#p1619697

The Marin is a bit heavy and slow - esp compared with a fancy "gravel bike" - but then it can carry weight and survive anything. So great for heavy shopping, as well as touring. The simplicity and reliability of these bikes may be a consideration, and as you really like yours, why not stick with it?

The pic is Hampton Court in March, when I went along the Thames to Windsor from SW London and back, so 64 miles.

Sorry, I have never owned a bike with suspension forks (the fat tyres are enough for me), but doubt that they are difficult to swap out.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
slowster

Post by slowster »

KatyFox wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 9:56am my suspension forks weren't ever working too hard anyway but I am used to the softer ride in my arms/shoulders on bumpy/stony ground.
What tyres are you currently using, and what width are they? If they are relatively narrow, e.g. 2.0", I would suggest fitting wider. The choice of 26" MTB tyres is not as wide as it used to be, but for example Continental make Cross King tyres in 2.2" and 2.3", and I think the Cross King is a reasonably fast rolling cross country tyre.

Check what tyre width your proposed replacement rigid fork can take. There might not be enough clearance to fit the same width tyre on the rear wheel, but there is nothing wrong with having different widths on the front and rear.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You may find that you have no choice depending on what size head set you have. I'll bet it is either a 1 1/8" straight steerer or even possibly an older 1" . Finding suspension forks for the former is almost impossible nowadays although cheapies from China exist, or knackered ones on ebay.
I would be looking for a pain of carbon ones just to sweeten the ride a touch.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

It looks like the 1994 Tassajara is 1-1/8'' threaded (at least for the rigid fork version ), see the Tassajara picture and spec's at the bottom of the linked Gary Fisher catalogue (courtesy of The Retrobike Forum). I don't know if the O.P's existing suspension fork is likely to be threaded or threadless as the Tassajara is only pictured fitted with a rigid fork in the catalogue.
Looking at the spec's Gary Fisher were using either 1-1/4''ahead threadless, 1-1/8''ahead threadless & 1-1/8'' threaded depending on the model in 1994.

To fit the Thorn fork (or any other threadless 1-1/8'' fork) I linked to up thread, you would also need a new handle bar stem a star nut/spacers, cable hanger, steerer cap & screw and a new headset at least.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/4 ... fisher.pdf
Some of the issues you can run into are shown here on RJ the Bike Guys youtube channel where he is swapping an 1-1/8'' threaded rigid fork for an 1-1/8'' ahead (threadless) set-up (albeit a suspension fork).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHcjh4O20ko
The simplest & cheapest way might be to put a want ad on The Retrobike Forum for an 1-1/8'' threaded fork explaining what you want to do ; assuming your existing suspension fork is indeed of the 1-1/8'' threaded type.
Good luck.
Nu-Fogey