Holdsworth 'Trentino' advice....

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slothman

Holdsworth 'Trentino' advice....

Post by Slothman »

Hi, I have been offered a Holdsworth 'Trentino' carbon road bike (2014 Tiagra set up) and it could be a good deal.

However I know nothing about the brand other than it was owned by Planet X and may no longer be in production.

The seller claims it is a medium (men's) but from looking at pictures of the rear vertical frame post it is only 45cm from the pedal spindle to the top of the post (not counting the actual seat post itself). Now in my book that would make it a very small frame and possibly a women's but as I said I am not an expert.
Also, I have read that Holdsworth frames were often 'compact' and perhaps relied on a longer, extendable seat post and this may make their sizing different.
I can get no sense from Planet X and they don't have phone lines (I never buy new from a company that doesn't want to speak to me but as this is a private sale I suppose that's a moot point).

Does anyone know anything about this bike, is it any good and is the frame a small or is it a medium but using a different sizing methodology?

Thanks
cycleruk

Re: Holdsworth 'Trentino' advice....

Post by cycleruk »

"Compact Frames" with sloping top tubes need to measured horizontally where an imaginary normal top tube would be.
My Dolan is classed as a 54cm frame but the seat-tube is only 49cm from C-T.

Check out this video at 1.50 showing measuring a bike with a sloping top tube :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7mPbF0U270
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Planet X kindly sent me these for the Holdsworth frames...

Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Here's a few pics of the actual bike. It looks nice enough and plenty well spec'd for me but will it be too small?
I am 5'8" male with an inside leg of between 30-31cm.

Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

51cm is indeed a Medium according to Planet-X.5'7"-5'10" for the Holdsworth they still make/sell.
All my road bikes have been 'compact frames'.My Planet-X RT58 was a 52cm,Boardman 51cm,Focus 51cm,Canyon Ultimate 51cm.
I'm 5'6.5".51cm is classed a S or M depending on manufacturer.
I would say if it is 51cm/M then it will be fine.It might look odd to you if you're used to the old school road frames of the 60/70/80s etc but many modern frames are 'compact'.

How tall is the seller and is he selling it due to sizing or other reasons?
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Thanks.
By 51cm I presume you refer to the 51cm of the top horizontal tube? I thought the sizing was based on the vertical tube i.e. 54cm from sprocket centre to top of tube where it meets the seat post?
Thing is none of the measurements on the photos match the dimensions on the sizing chart? Am I missing something?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Slothman wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 3:05pm Here's a few pics of the actual bike. It looks nice enough and plenty well spec'd for me but will it be too small?
I am 5'8" male with an inside leg of between 30-31cm.

Same height as you. I would think that's likely too small for me.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Do a measure of the "effective" top tube and it will probably be about 53cm. Your seat tube measurement shows 44cm and that is a 'small' on the chart. The chart shows a recommended height up to 5'7" for a small frame.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Who is measuring in the photographs?
You can see where they’re measuring to but not from?
The Planet X geometry table will be measured centre to centre.You cannot accurately do this with a built bike especially measuring at the side of the top tube as in the photos.
At 5’8” I can ride 51cm or 53cm.
Why do some use even numbers,some use odd numbers and some use S,M,L etc?
Confusing?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yeap confusing......

But think that frame does look small, looks more like a average ladies (5'6") frame.

Cheers James
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Without sounding patronising in any way,are you a regular cyclist,casual or hardly at all?If the latter then don,t be tempted by this good looking bike if it doesn,t feel right.Ok,on modern bikes,there is overlap in sizes so a S/M may fit you.Saddle height and setback,reach and bar height can all easily be changed but how will the bike feel,handle and steer at the extremes of these settings?You are a medium so look for a bike that you know is in the middle of the range for you.I,m your size as near as damn it and I ride a medium,54cm and a large,56cm.The medium,a giant tcr is a perfect fit from the word go.The large,a Scott carbon is ,with a shorter stem,a good fit and very comfy.Incidentally,an old injury prevents my arms from straightening properly and,despite this,both these fit well.I,m not convinced the Holdsworth would,it just looks like a small bike.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Yeah thanks, good advice, I agree with all of that.
I am I think in danger of turning this into a 'Cinderella's slipper' scenario, whereas I try and try to make this right but it just isn't a good fit.
I will forget this one and keep on looking for a bargain in the (more obviously) right size.

Thanks guys for the excellent responses :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Is there a size sticker anywhere on the frame?
Every road bike I've had has had one!If it is what the seller says it is then theoretically it's the right size for someone at 5'8".
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

No size sticker is visible on the photos and the seller would have mentioned it if there was as I did query the size?
mig

Post by mig »

that bike is tiny.

at your height (although ,as mentioned, i think that your inside leg is 30-31 inches) you'd need to put the saddle height up maybe 4-5 inches from where it stands now.

there is no way that you'd be able to do that as the seatpost would be beyond its extension.

there's something about the wheels that look a little like 650c ones too...?? :? but i can't see from markings on the tyres.