Kool Stop Break Pads

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
groberts

Kool Stop Break Pads

Post by groberts »

I have been using Eagle 2 Kool Stop brake pads on my Trek 830 converted to a road Ebike for a while and just wanted to order some replacements and am beweildered by the choices now available - what are the differences?

The bike currently has the orginal Shimano cantilever brakes (Ergo I think) fitted with Kool Stop black blocks which are OK but I'm wondering if one of the other compounds might be better e.g. salmon pink, whatever that is, hopefully not salmon?

Graham
PH

Re: Kool Stop Break Pads

Post by PH »

Kool Stop's own explanation is here
http://www.koolstop.com/english/compounds.html

The standard black are fine in the dry but there's better in the wet. IMO the Salmon are good all round pads, they maybe grab more than ideal in the the dry, but that's offset by better wet performance. There's a mixed compound option, but I haven't tried them.
BBB Tristop are also very good, these have, as the name suggests, three different compounds, I find they stop me as well as the Salmon's and last a bit longer.
Other than braking, the advantage of either the above, compared to many standard pads, is the softer compound is kinder to rims, you don't get the shards of aluminium imbedded in them.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Many thanks, just ordered some salmon pads. :)
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I was very disappointed in my Koolstop brake blocks - back to Swiss stop for me.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Koolstop Salmons do seem to have a pretty incredible reputation.

someone who uses them told me that he never has to clean his rims, which sounded somewhat odd to me.

Also claimed that it never rained on bikes fitted with them.

Me, I save my money, just buy cheap pads, clean rims now and again, inspect pads for any debris pretty regularly.
Sweep
nsew

Post by nsew »

Kool-Stop Salmon (Scott-Mathauser compound)

Sheldon Brown “nothing else comes close” “un-equalled”
Jobst Brandt - “my solution for pad quality is Kool-Stop salmon red pads”

- Scott-Mathauser and the "Salmon" pad.

Despite the superior design of Kool Stop brake shoes, for years, Scott-Mathauser brake shoes were the finest available, due to their patented salmon-colored rubber formula. (The "secret ingredient" is iron oxide, a.k.a. "rust", which is what gave them their distinctive color.
Even though they were ugly and had crude hardware, they were favorites of knowledgeable cyclists for their superior stopping power and durability.

Scott-Mathauser brake shoes were manufactured under contract by Kool Stop, but the hardware and shoe shape was determined by Scott-Mathauser. The less expensive Scott-Mathauser shoes had rather clunky mounting hardware; the deluxe models were overpriced and featured bogus "cooling fins." Despite these limitations, the very special Scott-Mathauser compound was so much better than anything else available, that Scott-Mathauser brake shoes were widely recognized as the best perfomers in their day.

Kool Stop "Salmon": The Best Of Both!

Now, the un-equalled Scott compound is available in the excellent Kool Stop designs. The "salmon" colored Kool Stop models are the ones made with the Scott-Mathauser material..
The traditional Kool Stop compounds and colors remain available, but we strongly recommend the salmon-colored Scott type. -

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 11:48am Me, I save my money, just buy cheap pads, clean rims now and again, inspect pads for any debris pretty regularly.
It may well be that the cheap pads increase the wear on the rims which will cost you more in the long run.
For me, I want the best braking, it's not something I'm going to compromise on for a couple of quid. YMMV but the two pads previously mentioned stop me better in the wet than any others I've tried.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 6:40pm
Sweep wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 11:48am Me, I save my money, just buy cheap pads, clean rims now and again, inspect pads for any debris pretty regularly.
It may well be that the cheap pads increase the wear on the rims which will cost you more in the long run.
For me, I want the best braking, it's not something I'm going to compromise on for a couple of quid. YMMV but the two pads previously mentioned stop me better in the wet than any others I've tried.
Saved far more than a couple of quid - I bought loads ages ago for a very cheap price - mostly V brake pads. They stop me just fine.
I must admit I remain mystified by why these pads are so good - the manufacturer's description describes them as "aggressive" - so are they somehow aggressive yet gentle with rims?
Also, I don't understand the thing about lack of the odd metal bit in them if they are "aggressive". Is it perhaps that they do take the odd bit of metal off the rims but that they shed it quickly?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 6:48pm I must admit I remain mystified by why these pads are so good - the manufacturer's description describes them as "aggressive" - so are they somehow aggressive yet gentle with rims?
There's several definition of aggressive, here's one that might fit
strong or emphatic in effect or intent
The braking comes from the friction between pad and rim, it doesn't follow that stronger braking necessarily results in more damage to the rim.
Whatever, if you're happy with what you use, that's great. It's not unreasonable though to point out the reputation these have and that in my experience they live up to that.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

A brake pad needs to be hard enough not to embed chips of alloy or grit (which REALLY wear the rim), but soft enough not to unduly wear the rim itself. And have high friction, wet or dry. It's.not simple.

If Kool-Stop salmons are too pricey, Aztecs are always good.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

I'm liking Disco brake pads. Seem better than Koolstops on V-brakes. No squeal. Just as much power as far as I can tell. Cheap. Good reviews.

I've got black Koolstops on the front and Salmon on the rear of my road bike. Salmons are wearing faster. Normally I wear front and rear about the same. I like black better. I've had the Salmons squeal on another bike whereas the black didn't. I don't ride in the rain.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PH wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:13pm
Sweep wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 6:48pm I must admit I remain mystified by why these pads are so good - the manufacturer's description describes them as "aggressive" - so are they somehow aggressive yet gentle with rims?
As in
"Sweep was aggressive in his criticism of Kool-stop fans."
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 12:29pm
PH wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:13pm
As in
"Sweep was aggressive in his criticism of Kool-stop fans."
just asking that's all.
Sweep
nomm

Post by nomm »

My deep drop calipers run salmons on the back and salmon dual compound on the front - this is a good balance for me on fast audax/light touring in all weathers - I find the performance excellent (recent down pours have really been a good test)

For all the disk V rim talk - I regularly ride cable disk TRP Spyre's on the load carrying commuter, hydro disks on mountain bikes and mini V on the tandem - each works well in its own domain.

Tried Swiss stop pads - similar performance, always seemingly a bit more pricey
Tried a few other brands (Aztec/TRP/Shimano) always a bit Meh, although cheaper

I seemingly have been able to pick up Kool Stops on the cheap at sale prices or New/unused on ebay - stopping is not one area of performance I want to skimp on
nsew

Post by nsew »

The better you’re able to stop, the less force is required, the less rim you’re eating up. The tell-tale sign is the minimal aluminium paste on the rim when using salmons.