Bontrager Racellite Hub Bearing Removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JS1C EVO

Bontrager Racellite Hub Bearing Removal

Post by JS1C EVO »

Hi I have a pair of Bontrager Racellite hubs, the rear has 3mm lateral play so I assume that the bearings need replacing. I think they are of the cartridge type and I'd like to do the work myself so need a puller and press. I've looked online but there are many to choose from and I don't want to pay £££ for the universal Parktool set. Can anyone advise how I determine which puller and which press I need, images attached.

Many thanks
Attachments
IMG_20210730_103717.jpg
IMG_20210730_103709.jpg
Valbrona

Re: Bontrager Racellite Hub Bearing Removal

Post by Valbrona »

1/ There's usually several hundred videos on Youtube of people changing the bearings in hubs like these.

2/ Often it is the case that the axle has shoulders, meaning you can use the axle to remove each bearing by simply striking it at each end.
I should coco.
rjb

Re: Bontrager Racellite Hub Bearing Removal

Post by rjb »

It's sometimes possible to adjust such bearings to remove the play in them. Normally by carefully tightening the locknuts and frequently checking you don't overdo it. Some hubs have a separate adjustment on the left side. You may find a search will come up with something specific for your hub. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D