Forks - tinkle, tinkle, tinkle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Forks - tinkle, tinkle, tinkle

Post by David9694 »

Just starting a resto on a 531 Dave Quinn frame with quite a bit of surface rust. A lot of forks have what sounds like a few flakes inside - this sounds and even feels a bit more substantial than that. Some forks have a 2-3 mm hole drilled on the insides of the blades (made before assembly, presumably) - these don’t, so how did it get there?

Ideally, I’d like to remove whatever it is, but I don’t think there’s any economic way - is there..?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
KM2

Re: Forks - tinkle, tinkle, tinkle

Post by KM2 »

You are unlikely to be able to stop the noise, as you won’t be able to get the stuff out.
The small hole was there to let expanding gases out. It could have been filled in.
I guess if it didn’t have one, on cooling, the air must have been drawn in through a minute hole in the brazing, which might have led to the problem. Air pressure is a powerful thing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My 531c Mercian frame and forks have no breather holes at all.

You can see up the seat tube and down tube by looking up the BB. Just about able to see into the chainstays too.
Squirted Waxoyl into them some years ago, but in all it's 35years of life, there is no rust at all.

If I felt that the insides of the fork blades were at risk, I'd drill a small hole probably down at the dropout ends and squirt Waxoyl in.
Mick F. Cornwall
KM2

Post by KM2 »

The waxoyl might stick the bits of flux/brass that’s rattling around.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 8:47am My 531c Mercian frame and forks have no breather holes at all.

You can see up the seat tube and down tube by looking up the BB. Just about able to see into the chainstays too.
Squirted Waxoyl into them some years ago, but in all it's 35years of life, there is no rust at all.

If I felt that the insides of the fork blades were at risk, I'd drill a small hole probably down at the dropout ends and squirt Waxoyl in.
You wont get breather holes in the frame tubes. You only need breather holes in tubes that end up being sealed during the brazing process. ie - front forks, seat stays and sometimes chain stays depending on the BB construction..
Some frame builders will seal the holes after the heat work is finished.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

KM2 wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 9:13am The waxoyl might stick the bits of flux/brass that’s rattling around.
Yes.

Jonathan
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

cycleruk wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 10:51am
Mick F wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 8:47am My 531c Mercian frame and forks have no breather holes at all.

You wont get breather holes in the frame tubes. You only need breather holes in tubes that end up being sealed during the brazing process. ie - front forks, seat stays and sometimes chain stays depending on the BB construction..
Some frame builders will seal the holes after the heat work is finished.
The breather holes in frame tubes are drilled in the head tube, BB shell and seat tube before assembly.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

The breather holes in frame tubes are drilled in the head tube, BB shell and seat tube before assembly.

Good point, would be done for welded frames.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Zero breather holes in mine.
None whatsoever.

Maybe they were brazed over when the frame was finished.
Mick F. Cornwall
David9694

Post by David9694 »

As I clean the pain away, I can see evidence of other breather holes infilled.

I drilled two new holes and managed to get out - not sure what - grit, the sort of thing that you get in your shoe. The main thing is that it wasn’t a load of rust flakes.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great!
No rust!
:D

What was it though?
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Probably a bit of braze from manufacturing. I've had the same with frame tubes in the past. Never anything to worry about.