Top eye engraving - how to pick out?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Top eye engraving - how to pick out?

Post by David9694 »

The lettering is very fine as you can see - looking for advice on methods and materials for picking this out in contrast paint. I was never good at art…
Evans engraved top eye
Evans engraved top eye
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
tatanab

Re: Top eye engraving - how to pick out?

Post by tatanab »

Similar circumstances I have run paint into the engraving, and then immediately wiped the surface. It has worked well.
peetee

Post by peetee »

If you want any paint to last you need to get in there and clean out all the crud and loose corrosion. A firm toothbrush and cleaning solution will prob do the job.
I would buy a tin of modellers enamel paint and apply with a fine brush. Any stray paint on the surrounding area can be removed with a smooth, non-fluffy cloth held tight to your finger so it only touches the top surface. This may draw the paint out of the recesses making a bigger mess but a bit of practice will get you there.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Are you having the frame refinished? If yes, then ask the refinisher's advice as engraving is likely to be filled with whatever finish they're using. If not, then pick out the engraved letters with a compass point, add paint of choice then either: do the wet wipe thing, (which is likely to drag wet paint out of the letters when you wipe, as remarked) or else, let the new paint dry properly (at least 48 hours) and remove excess with a craft blade, then gently polish whole top back to a shine with something like Solvol Autosol. Which of the two techniques you choose may depend on how flat the top of the tube is - if it's anything other than good & flat, you may be better off with the wet wipe technique. If good and flat, you'll be able to scrape the excess dry paint off without hitting proud parts.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

The easiest way I've found is to use a car touch-up needle paint pen
Humbrol works well, you might want to add 5-10% white spirit to thin the paint
Miles easier than a brush, can be used for luglining too. You can rub out mistakes with white spirit and a cotton bud
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (2.28 KiB) Viewed 145 times