Frame choices

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mr riff raff

Frame choices

Post by mr riff raff »

Right, I’m in the market for a new frame.

2 choices. Both fit the bill on spec.

Steel. Carbon forks. Ready in November. £1300.

Aluminium. Carbon forks. Ready now. £400.

I’d prefer the steel because it’s steel so I know it will last for as long as I look after it. Aluminium has a life span, but £900 buys a decent pair of wheels and most of a groupset.

First world problems!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
rogerzilla

Re: Frame choices

Post by rogerzilla »

The lifespan is academic - don't rely on the fatigue limit, as it is easily negated by poor welding or brazing.

I'd still hold out for the steel one, as I like the way a steel frame twangs on the road, and you can have it modified if you want.
mig

Post by mig »

the steel one is bespoke?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

If worried about life span, then why the carbon forks?
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

mig wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 3:11pm the steel one is bespoke?
No, but built to order so not a mass produced in a factory somewhere job.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

tatanab wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 3:18pm If worried about life span, then why the carbon forks?
I’ve had cracks in aluminium and titanium (twice). Every bike I’ve had for the past 15 years, except the current all steel Jackson tourer has had carbon forks. No issues.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve just scrapped an aluminium frame the corrosion/ oxide under some of the peeling paint was worrying. I gave £100 for the bike 8 or 9 years ago so owed me nothing.
Replaced it with a s/h van nic titanium and my thoughts now are , …"what on earth was I doing riding around on aluminium."? Saving a few pennies maybe.
My advice wait for the steel and enjoy the ride when it comes.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mig

Post by mig »

steel for me too but i'd opt for steel forks if possible.

i believe that the aussie team pursuiters are hunting for a set of steel 'bars in tokyo bike shops as we speak :wink:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve had plenty of steel frames that haven’t lasted. Including an original 531 Holdsworth Professional (6 years), a 531 Mercian (5 years) and a 631 Langdale (5 years), but I had another 531 steel Langdale that lasted 25 years. So steel is no guarantee of longevity.
Last edited by TrevA on 2 Aug 2021, 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

TrevA wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 4:15pm I’ve had plenty of steel frames that haven’t lasted. Including an original Holdsworth Professional (6 years), a Mercian (5 years) and a Langdale (5 years), but I had another Langdale that lasted 25 years. So steel is no guarantee of longevity.
But generally it lasts, doesn’t it.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mr riff raff wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 4:17pm
TrevA wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 4:15pm I’ve had plenty of steel frames that haven’t lasted. Including an original Holdsworth Professional (6 years), a Mercian (5 years) and a Langdale (5 years), but I had another Langdale that lasted 25 years. So steel is no guarantee of longevity.
But generally it lasts, doesn’t it.
Not for me. These aren’t the only steel frames I’ve broken. I had 3 531 steel Puch frames that all broke after 18 months and were replaced under warranty, due to a design fault ( where the rear stop for the gear cable was brazed to the frame caused a weak spot, which is where the frame broke each time.)

If a steel frame has a weakness, then I’ll eventually find it.

Perhaps if you are a flyweight, your steel frame will last forever.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

An earlier poster said they had a steel frame last around 5 years-seems very short and may have been abused. I have ridden a steel bike for s daily for at leat ten years and all that is needed is a regular wash and allow to dry before putting inside.A steel frame will outlast mkost riders who value their bike.Personally I would seek a used frame and refurbish to suit.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

mumbojumbo wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 4:30pm An earlier poster said they had a steel frame last around 5 years-seems very short and may have been abused. I have ridden a steel bike for s daily for at leat ten years and all that is needed is a regular wash and allow to dry before putting inside.A steel frame will outlast mkost riders who value their bike.Personally I would seek a used frame and refurbish to suit.
I buy new. I’m only changing from the Jacko as I want disc brakes and Shimano.

And a new bike!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Oh dear-can you maintain/repair hub brakes?If not you have problems if you are on tour and hit a problem. Perhaps you are a home bird?
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Oh dear-can you maintain/repair hub brakes?If not you have problems if you are on tour and hit a problem. Perhaps you are a home bird?