MKS 'easy' removable pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonineaston

MKS 'easy' removable pedals

Post by simonineaston »

I've had a few pedals from Japanese maker MKS over the years and always thought they were nicely designed and made. My newest bike came with a pair of Ezy Promenade pedals, which are quick-release. This is a new feature to me so I thought it might be helpful to tell fellow forum readers about my experience. This isn't a long-term test as I've only had them a couple of weeks.
MKS Ezy removable pedal
MKS Ezy removable pedal
As you can see, they're a straightforward rat-trap style pedal, which I find comfy to use. The centre X body is large enough to act as platform for the foot. They're light at 140g each. I don't use clips, but they could easily be fitted. MKS make their own. They clip into & out from a socket with a sprung collar, visible in the picture above, which is tightened into the crank arm in the usual way. As the axle of the pedal is free to rotate, it's not possible to tighten the pedal onto the crank with a hex wrench applied from the rear of the crank arm. A slim pedal or cone spanner must be used instead.
The pedal feels as well made as all the other MKS pedals I've used and the end cap that covers the bearing adjustment nut looks familiar too. I anticipate that they will be easy to maintain and so will have a long life. So far, so familiar.
So to the QR element. I live in a modestly sized flat and choose to take my bikes up and down to street-level. Quickly removable pedals aren't essential but I have to say, I've quickly learned that they are jolly useful - I'm sold!! My bike feels so much slimmer in corridor and lift and the removal / replacement of either one or both pedals is the work of a moment, needing only one hand to effect once I'd got the hang of it. By happy coincidence, the Promenade model supplied with the bike is exactly the type I'd have chosen anyway, but I imagine that folk will want different models, so I can reassure everybody that MKS appear to make the Ezy feature available across a wide range of pedals, inc SPD-type, as well as making the socket available separately, which fits with their company ethos of servicability and long product life.
So far I'm pleased with them and am very glad I've been introduced to this clever and useful feature. Hope that helps.
MKS rang of Ezy pedals
MKS rang of Ezy pedals
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mumbojumbo

Re: MKS 'easy' removable pedals

Post by mumbojumbo »

Sounds a lot cheaper than extending your residence-and presumably fewer bruises on your shin as you pass.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

A friend uses that type and it’s great for packing in the car. Even better if packing two bikes, less protrusions to cause damage.
PH

Post by PH »

The yellow plastic clips are very loseable, by me anyway :oops:
I stopped using them, as I think do others, though it makes me a little nervous to do so.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Never seen one but they look like they have adapted plug in hose couplings. And the yellow washer thing looks like a later addition to prevent an unscheduled release.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Has anyone tried the MKS Ezy Superior type of pedal? If so, have these done away with the easily loosable yellow washer? It is not shown in their photos.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rotavator wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 9:55pm Has anyone tried the MKS Ezy Superior type of pedal? If so, have these done away with the easily loosable yellow washer? It is not shown in their photos.
There's couple of comments on this in SJS's Q and A:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-clea ... or-pedals/

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

rotavator wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 9:55pm Has anyone tried the MKS Ezy Superior type of pedal? If so, have these done away with the easily loosable yellow washer? It is not shown in their photos.
Yes, I have some Lambada, no yellow bits, but a little more fiddley to fit and remove.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Rest assured, dear reader, there is no structural requirement to use the yellow clips - they are simply a belt/brace option for those who think they might not manage to click the pedal into place properly... it is entirely safe to use the product without using the yellow clips.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Thanks for the replies. So it sounds as if the Ezy Superior pedals can be fiddly to fit but there is nothing to lose, apart from the pedals.
pwa

Post by pwa »

My son has had Ezy pedals for quite a few years and no problems to report other than losing the plastic security clip things. Reliable MKS pedals with a nice extra user-friendly feature.
slowster

Post by slowster »

MKS sell the yellow clips in case of loss, and say
The stopper must be fitted.If it could not be fitted, the pedal attachment is incomplete. Without the stopper, the adapter would be broken, or the pedal may fall off and will result in serious injury.
https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/67
jb

Post by jb »

I think you would notice if they started to come out, its not like you'd fall off.
The clips are the Lawyers lips of the pedal world.
Cheers
J Bro
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

ie lawyers' clips, natch :roll:
S
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Have been waiting for a one side spd one side caged version for my Brompton for touring.....with public transport use.
old fangled