Quite proud....

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
al_yrpal

Quite proud....

Post by al_yrpal »

Had an argument with a curb a couple of days ago resulting in a very wobbly front wheel. So, purchased a spoke key, tuned into some YouTube videos and sorted the wobbles in about 30 minutes. On the UK videos folk gabbled and told you what to do too quickly so you couldnt catch it but I found a US video which described things step by step clearly and descriptively so you could take it in.

https://youtu.be/zcwVsxnF6pc

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Re: Quite proud....

Post by simonineaston »

Well Done! There is something very satisfying about building / trueing a wheel yourself. And cost-effective too - in a fit of generosity, I took a wheel and rim to a local trader to build recently and nearly passed out when I saw the quote!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Well done Al, you'll be building wheels next, well maybe when the house is finished. :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, well done! :D

Eons ago, I had an old bike to fiddle with.
Never done any wheel truing or building, so I bought a spoke key to have a play.
Took the front wheel completely apart and then rebuilt it using my front wheel as a pattern piece. After an hour or so, the old wheel was back in one piece and then I used the frame to spin it and true it up.

Took me ages, but I learned, and have never forgotten it.
Still have that old spoke key too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’m impressed, Al. Not just doing it but the courage to attempt it. You leave me standing!
John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thats me John. Have a go!
Its like this house we bought, £63 grand to put it straight according to the surveyor but now we are settling in we reckon we can get it totally up to scratch for half that figure. Pretty traumatic experience.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Site needs more emoji's so I could give you a thumbs up.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Good tip in the video about the pencil. I've tended to attach some tape to the spoke that's
rubbing, and then loosen it off. The bit about tightening the two spokes either side is something
that I didn't know. :idea: It won't be forgotten now.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

In In youth pretty much everyone got their wheels sorted at a shop or had a man who did. As a result I never learnt the black art until I was forced to when I get a job in the trade.

I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert but I can do it okay if often work to closer tolerances than many shops seem to.

Congrats on having a go, who says you can't teach old dogs! I'd certainly encourage anyone to give it a go, the basic tools are cheap and once you get your head around which way to turn which nipple it can be very therapeutic.

As for the difference in the how to vids i've seen this before UK offerings seem t expect you to already know the theory US vids tend to start from a point of no knowledge whatsoever. That can be good or annoying depending on where you are on the tech scale.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!