inline adjuster - am I going potty?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonineaston

inline adjuster - am I going potty?

Post by simonineaston »

I popped this neat barrel adjuster in the cable run for my hub gear, but was finding that it didn't really seem to affect any adjustment. So I looked at it more closely and I see that as much as it extends one end, it appears to reduce the other! Surely that's not how it's supposed to work. Any ideas?
before...
before...
after...
after...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Re: inline adjuster - am I going potty?

Post by Jdsk »

What make and model is that?

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Jagwire BSA044
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm just wondering if I should have two inserts in place - the piccies show one only, at the top of the adjuster. I could of easily dropped one when I put it all together...
S
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Try adjusting it with a bit (not too much) of compression on the outer cable (so tension on the inner). I have found in the past sometimes you turn it and nothing happens, apply some compression and it mysteriously starts to adjust! However, I think I might be referring to the other Jagwire inline adjuster design (see below). Also, if unsure, try turning both ways.
There are 2 designs of Jagwier inline adjuster (the other looks more like a cyclinder rather than the bowed appearance of yours), 1 version (I think yours) has surprisingly little adjustment compared to the other.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've had another twiddle and it does look like it's possible to over-extend it, so that the threaded portion is retracting and pushing the other end up at the same time... seems an odd design, but a bit of user-error mixed in there too I think!! Anyway gears all bang on now :D
S