Nitto 135 25.4 centre section

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
biketips666

Nitto 135 25.4 centre section

Post by biketips666 »

I've just bought a Nitto 135 Randonneur bars, with a 31.8 centre.

Looking at it just now, the centre bulge will be covered completely by the stem. Then there's a slope down to the 24mm section.

I like cross top levers, but there's 35mm either side of the stem that couldn't be used for cross-tops, or anything really.

I thought I might change them for some 25.4mm ones. There are two Tektro RL levers that should work, for 24mm and 26mm bars.

Has anybody got a 25.4 Mod135 bars? How soon do they slope down to the 24mm, or is it a step? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Thanks.
nsew

Re: Nitto 135 25.4 centre section

Post by nsew »

There’s not much room on the tops of the Randonneur’s anyway but yes there’s more room on the 25.4. However that’s a bar best suited to a 1inch steerer (and 1inch stem)

Page 9

http://nitto-tokyo.sakura.ne.jp/No29-2015.pdf
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

nsew wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:18pm There’s not much room on the tops of the Randonneur’s anyway but yes there’s more room on the 25.4. However that’s a bar best suited to a 1inch steerer (and 1inch stem)

Page 9

Thanks.

If I go for the 25.4 I'd have to change stem, and there seem to be stems available that go from a 1 1/8 steerer to 25.4 bars. In which case I might try a Noodle instead. I went for the Randonneur because there's a 31.8 version.

My bike is a steel framed tourer, with a 1 1/8" steerer. I've never had a bike with a 1 inch steerer. Why do you say that a 25.4 bar is better suited to a 1 inch steerer?

EDIT. Just noticed the Noodle is 26mm, whereas the Randonneur is 25.4. No matter, the same applies, if I'm changing the stem I'm changing the stem for whichever one suits the bars.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I had Tektro RL720 levers on my drop bars with a 26mm clamp and they fitted the 24mm section no problem.
I was last using the Condor Strada Handlebar but I don't see any reason the dimensions on the Noodle would be any different.
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Ontherivet77 wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 8:08am I had Tektro RL720 levers on my drop bars with a 26mm clamp and they fitted the 24mm section no problem.
I was last using the Condor Strada Handlebar but I don't see any reason the dimensions on the Noodle would any different.
Thanks.

Looking at Tektro's specs, the 720s are for 24 mm and the 726s are for 26mm. I've got 721s at the moment on the centre bulge. I'll try out the bars and see where I want to mount the levers. It depends really on how wide the centre clamping area is. There's probably a little bit of flexibility. And I suppose if I get the 726s I can always shim the bars out if I need to. I often use helicopter tape as protection anyway, which adds a little to the diameter.
nsew

Post by nsew »

biketips666 wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:25pm
nsew wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:18pm There’s not much room on the tops of the Randonneur’s anyway but yes there’s more room on the 25.4. However that’s a bar best suited to a 1inch steerer (and 1inch stem)

Page 9

Thanks.

If I go for the 25.4 I'd have to change stem, and there seem to be stems available that go from a 1 1/8 steerer to 25.4 bars. In which case I might try a Noodle instead. I went for the Randonneur because there's a 31.8 version.

My bike is a steel framed tourer, with a 1 1/8" steerer. I've never had a bike with a 1 inch steerer. Why do you say that a 25.4 bar is better suited to a 1 inch steerer?

EDIT. Just noticed the Noodle is 26mm, whereas the Randonneur is 25.4. No matter, the same applies, if I'm changing the stem I'm changing the stem for whichever one suits the bars.
I recommend the Noodle (b177) for all round comfort - they’re a superb bar with what I think is just the right amount of flex for a touring bike. I double wrap mine (46cm) with 3.2mm tape and regular tape on top.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/nitto- ... 3335757697
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

nsew wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 11:16pm
biketips666 wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 10:25pm

Page 9

Thanks.

I recommend the Noodle (b177) for all round comfort - they’re a superb bar with what I think is just the right amount of flex for a touring bike. I double wrap mine (46cm) with 3.2mm tape and regular tape on top.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/nitto- ... 3335757697
Thanks.

I bought a 44cm Noodle today. Off the bike it feels good, even though I know that's not much of a test. I bought a new stem, to avoid using shims. I don't like the idea of using shims there, and I wanted a shorter stem anyway. I got a pair of 24mm Tektro cross tops too. I like the extra bar space I've got for mounting bits and pieces, now that there isn't a slope down from 31.8mm to 24mm. My old bars have that and it loses quite a bit of bar space, plus dictates where the cross tops have to go. The slight bend back feels like it'll be comfortable too, I can see me riding a bit more on the flats.

My old bars were nominally 42cm. But I measured them at the hoods and they were 40, whereas the Noodles at the same point are 43cm. Despite calling themselves 44cm these Noodles are actually 45cm C-C. They might be a bit wide for me, we'll see.

I liked the Randonneur, and I think the ramps were longer, but then of course the reach is longer too. I'll see how I get on with the Noodle, and might one day experiment with the Randonneur, but it would have to be the 25.4 clamp one, to try and keep some bar space.

I'll ride it unwrapped until I'm happy with the position of everything, then wrap it. I single wrap, but with gel pads.

Thanks for the input.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

One thing you may want to pay close attention to is the brake lever position. I have a FSA Vero bar on the road bike which is nominally 42cm but 40 at the hoods and had a 44cm bar on a touring bike. I found that my wrists were bending outwards on the 44cm and could never get comfy on the hoods. It's not always given that wider drop bars are better for comfort. Apologies if I'm telling you something you are already aware of.
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Ontherivet77 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:52am One thing you may want to pay close attention to is the brake lever position. I have a FSA Vero bar on the road bike which is nominally 42cm but 40 at the hoods and had a 44cm bar on a touring bike. I found that my wrists were bending outwards on the 44cm and could never get comfy on the hoods. It's not always given that wider drop bars are better for comfort. Apologies if I'm telling you something you are already aware of.
Thanks for the input. As it happens your situation is almost exactly mine. My current bars are nominally 42cm, but measure 40cm at the hoods, whereas the new Noodles are nominally 44cm, and measure about 43cm at the hoods.

I bought the original bars using the highly sophisticated method of the bloke at the shop looking me up and down and saying - "42cm should be about right for you".

When I was buying the 44cm Noodles, and now I've got them home, I've wondered if they're a bit wide. But to be honest I think that handlebars are a bit like saddles. You can read all the reviews you like, but in the end there's enough variety in human shape and what sort of position we adopt on the bike, that the only way is to try them. If I don't settle with them, and it feels like it's just due to width, I'll try something else, either 42cm Noodles ones, or something else.

One thing this has confirmed for me though is that 26/25.4 clamps make a lot more sense if you want to mount cross-tops and lots of other things on the bar. On my current bars the "slope" from the 31.8cm clamp area to the 24cm bar is 35mm on each side. That's 70cm that can't be used (at least not easily) for mounting stuff.
nsew

Post by nsew »

A couple of things to take into account. Wider bars provide better control, noticeably so off road. A shorter stem effectively narrows the bar.
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

nsew wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 7:19am A couple of things to take into account. Wider bars provide better control, noticeably so off road. A shorter stem effectively narrows the bar.
Thanks

If I'm riding on the hoods, does it make any difference whether the distance from saddle to hoods is in the handlebar reach, or in the length of the stem?

Old bars:
42cm wide (actually 40 at the hoods)
8cm reach
with an 8cm stem

New bars:
44cm wide (actually 43cm at the hoods)
9.5cm reach
with a 6 cm stem.

It looks to me like my reach from saddle to hoods is 0.5cm less, but with 3cm wider bars. I don't know how that all works out it terms of control, I suppose I'll find out.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

biketips666 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:26pm
Ontherivet77 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:52am One thing you may want to pay close attention to is the brake lever position. I have a FSA Vero bar on the road bike which is nominally 42cm but 40 at the hoods and had a 44cm bar on a touring bike. I found that my wrists were bending outwards on the 44cm and could never get comfy on the hoods. It's not always given that wider drop bars are better for comfort. Apologies if I'm telling you something you are already aware of.
Thanks for the input. As it happens your situation is almost exactly mine. My current bars are nominally 42cm, but measure 40cm at the hoods, whereas the new Noodles are nominally 44cm, and measure about 43cm at the hoods.

I bought the original bars using the highly sophisticated method of the bloke at the shop looking me up and down and saying - "42cm should be about right for you".

When I was buying the 44cm Noodles, and now I've got them home, I've wondered if they're a bit wide. But to be honest I think that handlebars are a bit like saddles. You can read all the reviews you like, but in the end there's enough variety in human shape and what sort of position we adopt on the bike, that the only way is to try them. If I don't settle with them, and it feels like it's just due to width, I'll try something else, either 42cm Noodles ones, or something else.

One thing this has confirmed for me though is that 26/25.4 clamps make a lot more sense if you want to mount cross-tops and lots of other things on the bar. On my current bars the "slope" from the 31.8cm clamp area to the 24cm bar is 35mm on each side. That's 70cm that can't be used (at least not easily) for mounting stuff.
This picture may help you with that. These are 40cm bar with a 26mm clamp as you can see the clamp bulge is nearly as wide as the Condor logo. You do lose handlebar space if like me you like to rest your hands closer to the stem when on the tops.
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

Ontherivet77 wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 8:56am
biketips666 wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:26pm

This picture may help you with that. These are 40cm bar with a 26mm clamp as you can see the clamp bulge is nearly as wide as the Condor logo. You do lose handlebar space if like me you like to rest your hands closer to the stem when on the tops.
Thanks for the photo.

The Nitto handlebars with either a 26 or 25.4 clamp area (why are there two standards so close together!?) have a "step" to go down to 24mm. Which, compared to the Condor bars, is a sort of mixed blessing. When fitting something with a hard metal clamp, like my cross-tops, it means you have to make a definite decision about where they go, and if you don't like using shims, which cross-tops to buy. But the clamp is only 15mm wide, so there isn't huge decision to make, if I find that the perfect position is right on that step. Which I don't think is likely to be honest. If I'm fixing other stuff to the bars, I'm always going to want it in between the levers, so they're going to be the furthest things from the stem.

On the other hand, things that have a more flexible mounting, like all the various lights, bike computer mounts, could maybe be made to sit on that gentle slop from 26/25.4 to 24, whereas they'd just wobble on the step.

The slope from 31.8 to 24 is a lot steeper and probably longer. I'm not sure things would sit on that as well.

An advantage of getting the 44cm bars is there's plenty of room. I don't use a bar bag (washing line shifters), but I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I can clutter the bars with!

Here's the layout so far:
IMG_3320.JPG
nsew

Post by nsew »

biketips666 wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 7:49am
nsew wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 7:19am A couple of things to take into account. Wider bars provide better control, noticeably so off road. A shorter stem effectively narrows the bar.
Thanks

If I'm riding on the hoods, does it make any difference whether the distance from saddle to hoods is in the handlebar reach, or in the length of the stem?

Old bars:
42cm wide (actually 40 at the hoods)
8cm reach
with an 8cm stem

New bars:
44cm wide (actually 43cm at the hoods)
9.5cm reach
with a 6 cm stem.

It looks to me like my reach from saddle to hoods is 0.5cm less, but with 3cm wider bars. I don't know how that all works out it terms of control, I suppose I'll find out.
I think you’ll be fine as it’s a mere 1.5cm shift for each arm. The Rivendell guy upthread is the designer of those bars. Get the ramps nice and flat as he suggests.
biketips666

Post by biketips666 »

nsew wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 11:31am
I think you’ll be fine as it’s a mere 1.5cm shift for each arm. The Rivendell guy upthread is the designer of those bars. Get the ramps nice and flat as he suggests.
Thanks. I'm doing the three year "complete strip and rebuild" this week, so I'll fit them then and let you know how I get on.