Ergon GP2

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ontherivet77

Ergon GP2

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Anyone use the Ergon GP2 grips (rubber or cork) if so what's your opinion on them and are they worth the money? Many thanks in advance.
Jdsk

Re: Ergon GP2

Post by Jdsk »

Lots of comments in the archives:
search.php?keywords=ERGON+GP2&terms=all ... mit=Search

Jonathan
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> I've used those Ergon grips for many years now and they have lasted very well.
> However, seeking a new pair I was taken aback a little at the £40 price tag so instead opted for some equivalent looking ones from Ali Express at less than half the price.
> https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 1621005407

> They are virtually identicle in weight, size and look and feel as good - obviously I'll need to use them for 5 yrs/5,000 miles or so to tell if they are as good!
grips.jpg
Last edited by bikes4two on 5 Aug 2021, 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Had Ergon GP2s on my old Diamondback when I first got back on a bike a few years ago at 23st. Regular grips hurt my hands (lots of forward weight, no core strength at the time). The GP2s really helped with that, as well as being able to move hand position onto the bar ends. (There are other GP models with larger bar ends, if that floateth your boat).

A couple of years on, I don't have the problems I had back then and I'm more than happy with standard grips.

Are they worth the money? They were, for me, though I don't think I would buy them now as they don't really offer me any benefit over what I have.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Yes, they are. But now cheaper alternatives are available, which may offer better value for money

I have a pair on a commuter which is circa 12 years old. Really helped on the chip-laden roads the local councils favour round here. Took the road buzz out of the palm and wrists.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I bought a cheap pair for my bike for casual riding and Ergons for my touring bike.
After 1 year of simple riding, the cheap ones are losing nubs, the Ergons, after 2,000 kms still look like new
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've got them on my 2 Surlys, not the 2 model, but just the grips. I use separate bar ends as this allows me to have a bar end mirror.

The ones on my main tourer are 2013 vintage. Showing signs of wear but still fully usable. Probably around 50,000kms.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Anyone using these on bars with any degree of back sweep or are they designed for pure flat bars only?
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I've used them on straight and backswept bars (up to 25 degrees), to me they work just the same
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

20201124_092103.jpg
I'm still experimenting, but on handlebars with a sweep of between 14 to 40 degrees they seem to improve comfort.
Attachments
20201124_092137.jpg
Last edited by cycle tramp on 8 Aug 2021, 12:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Post Script - What I did find is that on 'bars with a 67 degree sweep, where the handlebar follows the line of the thumb muscle (which is the more softer part of your palm) the ergonomic grips were actually counter productive and twisted my wrists away from its natural position as my hands move to place the palm on the grips and not the actual bar. Not only that I felt that I had less direct feeling to the front tyre. As a result I rode the three miles home from the shop without the grips! My hands and wrists felt more natural and I had greater feed back from the front wheel
20210808_111111.jpg
On therivet77 I'm more than happy to send you the egon grips (well scrubbed!) for your experimentation. Drop me a PM with your safe address (always be mindful that Russia and China are listening) and I'll pop them in the post for you :-)
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

cycle tramp wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 11:42am Post Script - What I did find is that on 'bars with a 67 degree sweep, where the handlebar follows the line of the thumb muscle (which is the more softer part of your palm) the ergonomic grips were actually counter productive and twisted my wrists away from its natural position as my hands move to place the palm on the grips and not the actual bar. Not only that I felt that I had less direct feeling to the front tyre. As a result I rode the three miles home from the shop without the grips! My hands and wrists felt more natural and I had greater feed back from the front wheel

20210808_111111.jpg

On therivet77 I'm more than happy to send you the egon grips (well scrubbed!) for your experimentation. Drop me a PM with your safe address (always be mindful that Russia and China are listening) and I'll pop them in the post for you :-)
That's very kind of you. I'll drop you a PM. I'm using a Nitto Jitensha bar so not as big an angle of backsweep so hopefully they will be okay.