Age of Pashley frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
phillp

Age of Pashley frame

Post by phillp »

Hi,
I am trying to date a Pashley frame but can find nothing about Pashley frame numbers on the internet. I have sent an email to Pashley but they haven't replied. The frame number is 45263. I have only managed to find one other Pashley frame with the same seat tube transfer - may be that gives some indication of its age? Some photos are attached.
IMG_8711.JPG
IMG_8710.JPG
IMG_8709.JPG
IMG_8708.JPG
Many thanks,
Phil
gaz

Re: Age of Pashley frame

Post by gaz »

The BS sticker would suggest it is no earlier than Sept 1992 (edit - seems I was mistaken :oops: ).

The petrol hub conversion would suggest it is now a moped :( .
Last edited by gaz on 6 Aug 2021, 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
phillp

Post by phillp »

OK - thanks gaz. That gives me some idea. Yes it now sports a Cyclemaster and goes very well.
phillp

Post by phillp »

It seems there was also a BS 6102/1 published in 1981
gaz

Post by gaz »

If any components are original they may have manufacturing date codes, although not ones that I am familiar with.

Saddle (Brooks?), hub (esp. rear Sturmey Archer IGH if you still have it), possibly the handlebar stem. Take a look, then google or report back with what you find.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
phillp

Post by phillp »

Hi Gaz - I think I've cracked it! No Sturmey Archer gears on the rear as I bought the bike with the Cyclemaster fitted. However the front wheel incorporates a dyno hub and on this is stamped '8 82'. So it looks like the bike is nearly 40 years old. Still a bit puzzled about the seat tube transfer though - I can't find any info about this anywhere.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When first enacted, in 1983, the major requirement of PBSR was to ensure that every new bicycle sold conformed to the British Standard for bicycles: BS6102 part 1.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... egulations
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

With that conversion that bike now needs to be registered as a motorbike and needs plates, tax and insurance otherwise illegal to use in the Uk and at risk of seizure if stopped by police.

Also illegal to use on cyclepaths etc too.
phillp

Post by phillp »

It's OK - it is registered