Frame damage - opinions please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Syd

Frame damage - opinions please

Post by Syd »

Mrs Syd got hit from behind today, whilst stationary, by a driver not looking where they were going.

The resulting impact on the bike frame has caused deformation of a seat stay and, what looks like, one of the disc brake posts begin to lift.

The frame is an aluminium one by Cannondale. I’m assuming this damage is effectively terminal for the frame. Anyone able to confirm or suggest how it could be repaired (at the driver’s expense of course).

Last edited by Syd on 4 Aug 2021, 10:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
PH

Re: Frame damage - opinions please

Post by PH »

It's a write off.
Even if it could be repaired an insurer is going to want reassurance that it would be repaired to it's original condition and no one is going to give that. Any bike shop, that isn't too busy, will do you a damage report, the LBS I used last year charged £25 which the insurer refunded.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks. Glad your thoughts concur.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Agree it’s a right off. I hope Mrs Syd isn’t too badly shaken after her experience.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Write off. However if it was then retained and everything was in the correct position I would ride it as a pub bike etc.
Syd

Post by Syd »

When I went to meet her, and pick the bike up, I did my usual of wheeling the bike whilst holding the saddle. It just didn’t feel right, something was just a bit off, like it wasn’t tracking straight.

The video from the rear facing camera let me know where to look or it’s possible I’d have missed the damage as I’d assumed the driver had hit the wheel (which it still round and true).

She’s taking today off work; a bit bruised and grazes with the odd bump or too. Feeling a bit sick, after effects of shock most likely, and will be off bikes for a bit due to pain in hand and wrist.

British Cycling have been contacted and she’s waiting for them to get back to her regarding a claim against driver’s insurance.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I expect the insurers would insists on some form of evidence to justify the amount of a payout eg as already mentioned a report from a bike shop.

As you seem on the point of instructing solicitors, I'd wait for their advice.
PH

Post by PH »

Syd wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 7:57am She’s taking today off work; a bit bruised and grazes with the odd bump or too. Feeling a bit sick, after effects of shock most likely, and will be off bikes for a bit due to pain in hand and wrist.
British Cycling have been contacted and she’s waiting for them to get back to her regarding a claim against driver’s insurance.
Hope she makes a quick recovery.
There's a minimum claim level* that qualifies for the solicitor support offered by BC or CUK (Or any other no win no fee agreement), I'm sure BC will advise. I don't know what they offer if not eligible, CUK have an information pack detailing how to make a claim without solicitors.

* I think it's £5,000 of which £1,000 has to be personal injury, they'll let you know.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have dealt with British Cycling myself on a previous occasion when I was taken out by a car and , having spoken to a friend of Mrs Syd who still works for them, the processes haven’t changed. I have already given her advice in terms of what I do know from my own experience.