Gear Inches Calculator - Revamped Version [2021-09-07]

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Manc33

Gear Inches Calculator - Revamped Version [2021-09-07]

Post by Manc33 »

I have improved that Excel gear inches calculator I posted a while back, it's miles better now:

- I scrapped "Distance Traveled" on the middle chart and replaced it with "Speed in MPH"
(as long as you enter a cadence figure).

- Now you can enter zero into the sprocket boxes (hey, we're not all on 12-Speed!) and it blacks out those boxes.
The old calc threw "#DIV/0!" errors if you used a zero and it looked nasty.

- The best new feature: Instantly see if gears overlap, colour coded in green (doesn't overlap) and orange (does overlap).

Spockets on the INNER chainring:
- Green = Gears lower than the lowest gear on the middle chainring.
- Orange = Gears higher or equal to the lowest gear on middle chainring.

Spockets on the MIDDLE chainring:
- Green = Gears higher than the highest gear on inner chainring.
- Orange = Gears higher than the lowest gear on outer chainring,
or lower than the highest gear on inner chainring, or equal to
the lowest gear on the outer chainring.

Spockets on the OUTER chainring:
- Green = Gears higher than or equal to the highest gear on the middle chainring,
- Orange = Gears lower than the highest gear on middle chainring.

The calc can handle anything up to 12-Speed with a triple and it already has a fictitious setup filled in to show you how it displays the results.

Everything is explained by hovering over the "Info" boxes.

Enjoy! :D

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hnbvhwam55r4q ... 0.zip?dl=1
(Includes new and old file versions for new and old Excel)

Screenshot:

EDIT: I messed up before not colour coding the middle chainring properly. I knew something was off about it. It's fixed now. Also swapped to orange so it's easier to see and contrasts well against the bright green "unique" gears.

Funny isn't it that on an old 22-32-42 chainset and 9-Speed 11-32t cassette, you get sold a bike with "27" gears but you actually only have 3 gears on the inner that don't overlap with the middle and just 2 gears on the outer that don't also overlap with the middle.

This colour coding on overlapping gears is something I always wished the Sheldon Brown calc did but it doesn't do it.

It got pretty complicated with the conditional formatting in Excel but I managed to complete it in the end. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Manc33 on 19 Sep 2021, 4:59pm, edited 7 times in total.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Manc33

Re: Gear Inches Calculator - Revamped Version [2021-09-07]

Post by Manc33 »

Anyone trying it? Just uploaded a new version but it's only had a cosmetic change, making the orange a bit brighter.

No other gear ratio calc can do what this does, that I have ever seen. :mrgreen:

Instantly being able to see which gears are overlapping is the best thing about it.

I have updated a few other calcs and need to upload the whole package again at some point but it's getting messy with a bunch of my own text files in it that don't need to be (for anyone else using this).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Some of the columns are not wide enough (so you have to unlock the sheet to cange column width and avoid seeing #'s. In case of my bike config column J. Your alculations match-up with those I made when selecting gears etc.

Ian
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:15pm Some of the columns are not wide enough (so you have to unlock the sheet to cange column width and avoid seeing #'s. In case of my bike config column J. Your alculations match-up with those I made when selecting gears etc.

Ian
Are you using a 1001t outer chainring? :P
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Manc33 wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:19pm
Psamathe wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:15pm Some of the columns are not wide enough (so you have to unlock the sheet to cange column width and avoid seeing #'s. In case of my bike config column J. Your alculations match-up with those I made when selecting gears etc.

Ian
No, 44. (22-44 triple and 11-36 cassette on 26" wheel).

Might be different fonts - I'm running it on a Mac using Office 365 (or Microsoft 365 whatever it's branded as these days) for Mac.

Ian
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:21pm
Manc33 wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:19pm

Ian
No, 44. (22-44 triple and 11-36 cassette on 26" wheel).

Might be different fonts - I'm running it on a Mac using Office 365 (or Microsoft 365 whatever it's branded as these days) for Mac.

Ian
That's odd. It uses Arial throughout.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 20.36.05.png
Only for your info. It's not hard to unlock the sheet and change the column widths. But some people not so familiar with Excel might not be aware of locked cells (maybe).

Ian
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Thanks for letting me know Psamathe. Updated with new link with slightly wider columns now. 8)

It may still be cut off but it should have fixed it hopefully.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1aq21wtakhyf ... 0.zip?dl=1

I would love to turn off that sheet protection but it's not worth risking the formulas getting messed up.

Another one revamped recently is the Torque Calc (unreleased) :mrgreen:

https://i.imgur.com/jXzKnCs.png

Is there even such a thing as a "foot kilo" :lol: there is now. :wink:

Now anyone without a torque wrench can just get 8 bags of sugar from the cupboard and do it that way. :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about a power meter approximator....

You put in BMI, bike type, wheels, tyres, clothing, speed and out pops a wattage figure ... .

There again I'd rather not know!

Cheers James
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Jamesh wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 10:25pm How about a power meter approximator....

You put in BMI, bike type, wheels, tyres, clothing, speed and out pops a wattage figure ... .

There again I'd rather not know!

Cheers James
:lol: Same here. I'm sure I actually put out 50W to 100W, maybe 150W for a ten second burst, that nearly kills me.

I have all the gear and no idea. :mrgreen:

There's even more variables than what you've listed like tyre PSI, average gradient, wind... it gets impossible. You'd only ever get an average out of it too - not like a proper power meter where you can look at a screen while going up a hill and compare it to the flat. If only they were £100 instead of £1,000, or £50 instead of £500 - whatever they cost it's ten times too much for me to justify paying it to see my wattage output.