Indexing Alivio gears

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
belgiangoth

Indexing Alivio gears

Post by belgiangoth »

(I think I haz the limit screws right.)

If I get the cable tension right to change the high gears (small cogs) then I can't shift to my lowest gear. If I increase tension to be able to shift the lowest gears (biggest cogs) I get a jump between gear 7&9 *small cogs, high gears).

I seem to have a choice between skipping gears or not changing gears on one click near the middle.

(And I was so pleased with my gear indexing on the 7 speed SRAM and all...)
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Eyebrox

Re: Indexing Alivio gears

Post by Eyebrox »

Could be the inner cable sticking. If this has been renewed the problem could be with the derailleur hanger. It could be bent. Check that your mech is hanging in line with your rear wheel. If not the hanger or the mech itself is needing straightened. The hanger can be realigned using an alignment tool. The derailleur could be straightened using brute force but with some care in not overdoing it. Plenty you tube videos explain the various fixes.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I think you have a outer cable compression issue. Do you have specific SIS cable outers and are they cut well, seated properly and in good condition?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Issues included:
Chain too short
Cable attached to the shifter the wrong way round.

Yup, I was never going to figure that out.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.