Cargo bike with rear child seat big enough for two kids about 8?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

Cargo bike with rear child seat big enough for two kids about 8?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Saw a solid bike that had a rear seat rack inside a security frame that carried two kids about 8 years old. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Only clue I could find is it had very confusing symbols that looked like coubo or oubo.

It also had a motor. Didn't see the motor but the battery was a cylinder on the downtube where you normally see a bottle cage. That cylinder was black with a green LED light band about 2cm from the top. Anyone know if this is part of an aftermarket ebike conversion kit? I think the guy said he put a motor on it implying aftermarket refit.

There's probably a few options but I have no idea what.
Jdsk

Re: Cargo bike with rear child seat big enough for two kids about 8?

Post by Jdsk »

They're often called longtails... might help with the search.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Looked again and Google worked! It's the yuba mondo bike with a few extras pushing it up to £3050.

I've got no idea about the motor kit. Apart from the battery pack I have no idea about the motor, didn't see it. There was a dynamo lighting system too. The rear light was still on a good few minutes after he stopped. Anyone got ideas for the motor and system?

I really curious because it looks like the whole package could be a few grand more making it about the price we pay for our cars when we get one. Big expense.
PH

Post by PH »

What's the question?
Doesn't sound like there's a huge saving on fitting a kit compared to buying the E version, which would also get you the purpose built frame and maybe some beefed up components. Plus they always look a much neater.
https://www.leftfieldbikes.com/shop/tra ... do-series/

Yes they're expensive, but there's no point buying lesser quality if you're going to give it the use that justifies having one in the first place. To offset that, running costs are minimal, compared to the cost of the journeys it ought to be replacing.
I've looked at a few various sorts of E-bikes over the last six months, all with decent mid drive motors and higher capacity batteries. Whatever the cost of the equivalent non assist bike, the E part appears to add £1,500 - £2,000. That seems to apply across a range of bikes, Cargo, Longtail, Hybrid.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Surly Big Dummy or, better, Big Fat Dummy. Plus Bafang mid drive if you want e. Job done :)

Child seating kit is called Kid Corral because it has a safety rail.
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

I have this bike, but without the motor. It will certainly seat two 8 year olds, I've picked up a couple of adults from the train station on it in the past. We took it on a 3 week camping holiday in northern Germany this summer and it was excellent.
Attachments
DSC00683.JPG
PH

Post by PH »

tenbikes wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 9:18am Surly Big Dummy or, better, Big Fat Dummy. Plus Bafang mid drive if you want e. Job done :)
Have you priced that? What's the cost difference between that and Surly's Big Easy?
PH

Post by PH »

BerlinMatt wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:08pm I have this bike, but without the motor.
That looks great, but rather your legs than mine!
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

PH wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 9:18pm
tenbikes wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 9:18am Surly Big Dummy or, better, Big Fat Dummy. Plus Bafang mid drive if you want e. Job done :)
Have you priced that? What's the cost difference between that and Surly's Big Easy?
Unless things have changed, the Big Easy is not available in the U.K.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

BerlinMatt wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:08pm I have this bike, but without the motor. It will certainly seat two 8 year olds, I've picked up a couple of adults from the train station on it in the past. We took it on a 3 week camping holiday in northern Germany this summer and it was excellent.
I think it was that make I saw but different model possibly. Most cycle racks take 10 to 40kg total weight. What do the racks/ seats take on these?
PH

Post by PH »

tenbikes wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:49pm
PH wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 9:18pm
Unless things have changed, the Big Easy is not available in the U.K.
That's a shame, when I've made that comparison with other manufacturers, going DIY has not been a huge saving, unless you already have the bike of course.
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 6:40am
BerlinMatt wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:08pm I have this bike, but without the motor. It will certainly seat two 8 year olds, I've picked up a couple of adults from the train station on it in the past. We took it on a 3 week camping holiday in northern Germany this summer and it was excellent.
I think it was that make I saw but different model possibly. Most cycle racks take 10 to 40kg total weight. What do the racks/ seats take on these?
The rack is welded to the frame and I'm told it can take 200kg (I won't be trying that out but that must be around 8 kids aged about 8!). A motor is probably sensible in most parts of the UK, where i live it's very flat.
The seat is a cheap one from Decathlon which can be made to fit.
https://www.decathlon.de/p/fahrrad-kind ... R-p-119955
Yuba would like you to buy a Thule Yepp which is much nicer but cost 4 times as much. My son is 5 and sits on a foam mat which i originally bought to protect my knees whilst gardening. Going round the whole rack is a "Monkey Bar" which was a bit pricey but I'm glad to have bought. I would guess 8 year olds may not need it.
https://www.yubaeurope.com/bikes-add-on ... onkey-bars
BerlinMatt

Post by BerlinMatt »

PH wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 9:19pm
BerlinMatt wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 8:08pm I have this bike, but without the motor.
That looks great, but rather your legs than mine!
I was glad to have a granny ring!