Are you tempted by Speedplay?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

Are you tempted by Speedplay?

Post by Valbrona »

1/ Not cheap. The newer Wahoo versions feature improved pedal design; sets you back an extra ~£30 over old stock Speedplay. (If you didn't know, Mr Yian Xang Wahoo now owns Speedplay). Cheapest Speedplays come in at ~£100.

2/ Speedplay is based on a 4-bolt cleat. There are some Speedplay-specific shoes out there, invariably only in 'regular' fit, invariably only stocked by bike shops in places like Milwaukee.

That means adapter plates for people like me. Adds extra stack, but end result is still lower than most, if not all other systems out there.

But adapters are a huge faff ... every time you want to access the three bolts to adjust fore and aft, you have to remove the cleats, each of which is fixed onto the adapter plate by four small screws with threadlocker.

3/ No English language section in the instruction manual that came with mine. Personally, I think that should be a crime.

4/ 'Made in Vietnam'. Nuff said.
I should coco.
rogerzilla

Re: Are you tempted by Speedplay?

Post by rogerzilla »

I think they were bought by people who wanted the lightest possible bike...a bit like Jacques Anquetil moving his bottle from the bike to his jersey pocket on climbs.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

A lot of people like the float they give. I do. To pricey for me though as I would want lots of sets for each bike. I also wreck cleats so Chinese Look copies are much more economical.
Buying Speedplay is no different to buying an Iphone though
pwa

Post by pwa »

A good pedal can last a long time, so if someone perceives a real benefit to be had, why not? For me, regular SPDs have enough float so I am fine.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I have the Speedplay Syzr pedals on multiple bikes. Unfortunately that's one model that seems to have bitten the dust after the acquisition of Speedplay by Wahoo. However, the Syzr cleats are extremely hard wearing - after several years of use, I haven't yet worn out a pair - and I have a couple of spare pairs, so I should be right for quite a few years yet.

I went with the Speedplay pedals because the float is in the cleat, not the cleat/pedal interface, and you can completely eliminate all float by locking down the two grubscrews in the cleat. I detest float in pedals, and these seemed to be the only option for avoiding it, other than going back to quill pedals with slotted cleats and toeclips and straps.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Speedplay?
They've gone, to be replaced by the new manufacturer who bought the name and some of the designs.
The website is a completely different thing too.

I have two pairs of Speedplay Frogs and two pairs of spare cleats.
Excellent pedal, and sadly Wahoo have dropped it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

NickJP wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 7:46am I have the Speedplay Syzr pedals on multiple bikes. Unfortunately that's one model that seems to have bitten the dust after the acquisition of Speedplay by Wahoo. However, the Syzr cleats are extremely hard wearing - after several years of use, I haven't yet worn out a pair - and I have a couple of spare pairs, so I should be right for quite a few years yet.

I went with the Speedplay pedals because the float is in the cleat, not the cleat/pedal interface, and you can completely eliminate all float by locking down the two grubscrews in the cleat. I detest float in pedals, and these seemed to be the only option for avoiding it, other than going back to quill pedals with slotted cleats and toeclips and straps.
Aren't your knees at Risk?

Just thinking aloud!

Jonathan might be able to comment?

Cheers James
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

They are used by people who want a mid-foot cleat position as they offer the easiest way to achieve it.
Also people who want a lot of float. I first came across them 12 years ago on a CTC tour when an American rider, who threw his left knee out by almost a foot, used them for extreme float.

I switched to them a couple of years ago for the former reason. I can't say I love them but I've not worn out a set of pedals, or even cleats, yet.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I switched to Speedplay earlier this year from Look Keo.
I much prefer the range of adjustment.I have ITBS(Iliotobal Band Syndrome) and being able to adjust the cleats laterally really helps on longer rides.Engaging takes some time to get used to but once mastered is no harder than any other system 8)
I currently have them on my bike and indoor bike and will be ordering another set for my Winter build.
You can still get Speedplay Zero SS with walkable cleats for around £140.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Jamesh wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 9:09am
NickJP wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 7:46am I have the Speedplay Syzr pedals on multiple bikes. Unfortunately that's one model that seems to have bitten the dust after the acquisition of Speedplay by Wahoo. However, the Syzr cleats are extremely hard wearing - after several years of use, I haven't yet worn out a pair - and I have a couple of spare pairs, so I should be right for quite a few years yet.

Aren't your knees at Risk?
I doubt it. I've ridden somewhere around three quarters of a million kilometres over the past half century or so; I road raced for about 30 years of that time, and I've had no knee problems outside of banging them up in crashes. When I started we all used quill pedals with cleats and toeclips and straps, where the foot is rigidly held in one position. Then in the 1980s we had the original Look pedals with the black clip-in cleats, again no float; then I used Keywin pedals for quite a few years, which similarly held the foot in a single position. The only pedals I've ever used that allowed the foot to move around were the Eggbeaters that I put on my touring bike, and I never felt that the movement was needed, so when the Syzr came along and I saw that I could eliminate the float, I equipped my bikes with them.
borisface

Post by borisface »

I've been using speedplay zeros and frogs for years now and done something like 40k miles on them. They've been fine but not without their niggles that mainly relate to the design of the cleats of the zeros. The cleats wear, can be tricky to adjust correctly and can be a bit finicky to get right. I haven't used the new design cleat but the screws for the old ones used to wear quickly due to walking and could be a real pain to extract as the heads became worn. I needed some new cleats but baulked at the price and also the set up faffing so tried some time pedals which were considerably cheaper for both pedal and cleat than the speedplay cleats on their own. Other than getting used to a single sided engagement, I can't say that I notice any difference. More recently I've also been using crank bros eggbeaters which are also very good. Both pedals have nice degrees of float and having had knee issues in the past, these haven't recurred. Importantly both pedals and cleats were cheap, easy to set up and I haven't had any issues with cleat wear. So I'm not sure I'll be going back to speedplay.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

borisface wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 1:03pm I've been using speedplay zeros and frogs for years now and done something like 40k miles on them. They've been fine but not without their niggles that mainly relate to the design of the cleats of the zeros. The cleats wear, can be tricky to adjust correctly and can be a bit finicky to get right. I haven't used the new design cleat but the screws for the old ones used to wear quickly due to walking and could be a real pain to extract as the heads became worn. I needed some new cleats but baulked at the price and also the set up faffing so tried some time pedals which were considerably cheaper for both pedal and cleat than the speedplay cleats on their own. Other than getting used to a single sided engagement, I can't say that I notice any difference. More recently I've also been using crank bros eggbeaters which are also very good. Both pedals have nice degrees of float and having had knee issues in the past, these haven't recurred. Importantly both pedals and cleats were cheap, easy to set up and I haven't had any issues with cleat wear. So I'm not sure I'll be going back to speedplay.
I've been on Time since they came on the market; started off with the TBT version with separate front and rear cleat.

Lateral adjustment is a bit lacking though - you get a high and a low Q Factor setting, 2.5mm being the difference. This might work for most crankset/shoe combinations, but then buy a new pair of shoes or new crankset and you might find that you 'fall out of range'. New shoes of mine have drillings that place my feet substantially further outboard than my old shoes, so I have hit a problem.
I should coco.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Double sided pedals, really easy to clip and unclip, 4 bolts shoes reduces the height and saves the adaptor

Don’t buy the knock offs cleats on eBay.

Push grease through the pedals, and oil the cleats and they will last ages.

I use them and like them, but much like everything, advantages are probably very marginal for the cost…. I have road SPD on my road bike in Italy and I can’t say it makes a huge difference.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm still using the original look delta pedals. I've got 4 pairs of them including 2 double sided pairs with flats on one side. :D
I prefer the cleats with no float, works for me and no knee problems.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

After having fitted the pedals and cleats ... I've lost the will to go out and set them up.

Really, you need a home trainer to do most of the set up on. And a carpeted floor so as not to damage the cleats without their covers.

There is no indication whatsoever, anywhere on the planet I suspect, as to the Q Factor of these pedals. Although I note the standard Wahoo Speedplays come in 53mm Q.
I should coco.