Apple

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jdsk

Apple

Post by Jdsk »

New cycling features for Apple Watch announced in today's Event: Ride detection, fall detection and notification, and a new eBike algorithm:
https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/14/apple ... en-riding/

Jonathan

PS: And some new products:
https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-events/september-2021/
simonineaston

Re: Apple

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers, Jonathan. I'll spring for a 7 when when the next dividend lands... ;-) Funnily enough my techie chums were asking me how well the watch copes with my using a 'leccy Brompton and needles to say were most amused to learn that Cupertino's finest didn't do too well !
Last edited by simonineaston on 18 Oct 2021, 7:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 8:01pm New cycling features for Apple Watch announced in today's Event: Ride detection, fall detection and notification, and a ...
(My bold and colour)
Fall/incident detection is a feature I've yet to be convinced about. It's available on my Garmin but not enabled.

I suppose a lot depends on exactly how it operates but my concern is something minor happens and you e.g. get up, dust yourself off and happily continue on your ride only to later discover family members in a panic not knowing what to do because they received a fall/incident alert.

Maybe I should enable it and set myself to be the "contact in event of" person and see how it works but I assume it would notify even without user confirmation (e.g. you call and knock yourself unconscious it becomes daft is it sits there asking you for permission to call for help!).

Of course different people are in different circumstances so benefit from different features so not criticising it but questioning how widespread a benefit it actually is and hoping everybody with it enabled has considered its potential impact e.g. your contact is on a city break in Amsterdam for the weekend when you pick yourself-up and overlook the "I've contacted the emergency ..." screen notification!

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Apple's own press release: "Cycling, Workout, and Fall Detection Updates":
https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2021/ ... d-display/

Jonathan
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 8:01pm
Fall/incident detection is a feature I've yet to be convinced about. It's available on my Garmin but not enabled.

I suppose a lot depends on exactly how it operates but my concern is something minor happens and you e.g. get up, dust yourself off and happily continue on your ride only to later discover family members in a panic not knowing what to do because they received a fall/incident alert.

Ian
My Garmin Explore has incident detection, it allows about 20 seconds to cancel an alert.
I've knocked the GPS off the bars on its lanyard and the "about to send alarm" is loud enough (first time you think 'air raid?)) to allow time to stop, retrieve dangling GPS, take glove off and cancel the alert being sent.

My wife also has same model GPS and she's activated it accidentally on occasion but is slower to realise that full gloves need removing :shock: so I've had the odd alarm followed by a text saying oops.
The one time it was a real alarm I didn't get an oops text and no reply to an are you OK text, so I navigated to the location and found her bike under a car and her on a back board being assessed.

I'm on the incident report list for 2 older friends when they ride solo, I'm a sort of filter for delayed reactions causing spousal worry, no alerts yet but wait until we get into insulated gloves weather!

The linked tracking feature also allows my wife to track me so she knows when to put the coffee on at home or where to intercept to meet me on a tour.

The tracking/detection can be enabled on a ride by ride basis for anyone not wishing to be tracked, say if you are going to the LBS for n+1 :wink:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The tracking/detection can be enabled on a ride by ride basis for anyone not wishing to be tracked, say if you are going to the LBS for n+1 :wink:
haha! I could do with that alert... !! "Don't do it, Don't do it, Don't do it..."
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iOS 15 (and iPadOS 15) launched:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_15

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 12:36pm
Jdsk wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 8:01pm New cycling features for Apple Watch announced in today's Event: Ride detection, fall detection and notification, and a ...
(My bold and colour)

Maybe I should enable it and set myself to be the "contact in event of" person and see how it works but I assume it would notify even without user confirmation (e.g. you call and knock yourself unconscious it becomes daft is it sits there asking you for permission to call for help!).

Of course different people are in different circumstances so benefit from different features so not criticising it but questioning how widespread a benefit it actually is and hoping everybody with it enabled has considered its potential impact e.g. your contact is on a city break in Amsterdam for the weekend when you pick yourself-up and overlook the "I've contacted the emergency ..." screen notification!

Ian
One of the few things that might convince me to wear a watch of any sort.

It detects the fall and offers to call the emergency services or another contact... so you press no, I'm fine.
Or you're unconscious and it makes contact as best it can - which is far better than no contact being made at all.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NickJP

Post by NickJP »

If the fall detection is anything like that on Garmin devices, it's a complete waste of time. The great majority of users switch it off, because it false alarms on a regular basis when enabled.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Upto 18 hours battery life!!!
I'll stick with my Garmin Fenix which lasts two weeks thank you very much!
Syd

Post by Syd »

NickJP wrote:If the fall detection is anything like that on Garmin devices, it's a complete waste of time. The great majority of users switch it off, because it false alarms on a regular basis when enabled.
Swirched on on my Edge 1030. Only time it has ever triggered is when I actually did crash.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Syd wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 6:18am
NickJP wrote:If the fall detection is anything like that on Garmin devices, it's a complete waste of time. The great majority of users switch it off, because it false alarms on a regular basis when enabled.
Swirched on on my Edge 1030. Only time it has ever triggered is when I actually did crash.
Mine (on a 1030) false alarmed several times - a couple of times when just braking for an intersection - so I switched it off and haven't used it since. Look on the Garmin support forums and you'll see multiple people complaining of the same problem.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I had a Applewatch series 4.
I sold it and bought a Garmin watch.
I've had iPhones since day 1 but find the watches lagging behind other smart watches,especially when it comes to battery life!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

What happens when you crash but don't need help? I have come off the MTB more than once, have been winded, bust wrist etc but haven't needed the wife to rush to my aid. Getting to the device to cancell an alert though may be the least of my worries.
But then I don't take a phone with me either.