Data Sheet for on old Carrera Vulcan ( not current one )

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
busta

Data Sheet for on old Carrera Vulcan ( not current one )

Post by busta »

Ive emailed Carrera about a week ago but no joy as yet. Ive done a quick search and can find people selling the same bike but still no joy.

I need to replace the bearing ball cages in the aheadset.

I guessing size 5/32" but the guy in the shop mentioned there may be another measurement that's difficult to tell unless i take the old ones out. He also suggested looking for a Data Sheet that could detail what's needed prior to taking it apart.

The bike is older and looks different to the new Vulcan, here is a photo. Can anyone explain what these other measurements are and where i can find out what i need.

I took the headset apart myself to deal with a bit of play but as the play is still there and the balls fell out of the cage ( apparently this is a sign of wear ) Then its the cages that could be the cause and should be replaced.

https://ibb.co/GFg99XK

Bonzo Banana

Re: Data Sheet for on old Carrera Vulcan ( not current one )

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Carrera is just a Halfords brand and they import from different factories for different models and it pretty much can change each year. Luckily they are normally generic bikes using standard components they don't use proprietary components. You could replace with a new headset or if its a loose bearing or caged bearings just use new bearings. If its sealed bearings they are probably a standard size.

I have a Apollo model with a similar frame. It doesn't have the better quality components fitted to it like yours. The Apollo has very low end components but the frame itself is very similar if not identical visually although yours may be better, maybe butted tubes where mine are straight gauge.

Most bike brands don't have any factories themselves they are all buying from a range of factories in Asia. There are no Specialized, Trek, Cannondale factories etc.

I know currently Halfords are buying a lot of bikes from an Indonesian factory Insera Sena, In the past they have used Giant, Merida and Fuji-Ta.
busta

Post by busta »

wow. that was an education :) ive just watched a Fuji-Ta production vedio lol

I had no idea. Ive seen sooo many carrera bikes.

I didnt think about replacing the whole headset but have noticed some headsets come with cages.

Im assuming the headset wont wear as quickly as the bearings so ill try and get replacement cages.

Im guessing just any Aheadset Ball Cages, 5/32" will do as there dont seem to be much choice in the 5/32 range so as you say , maybe its a generic thing.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. Ive no idea what other measurement the guy in halfords was on about. Fingers crossed all will be good.

thanks for your time and incite.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Why don,t you just ditch the cages and put loose balls in there with the advantage of having more of them?
busta

Post by busta »

Never thought of that. To be fair i was a little scared of loosing the bearings when they popped out and ideally i would like to replace like for like. Mainly convenience i guess. That and lack of confidence/knowledge.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Cages can buckle and damage the headset if a bearing cracks and breaks up and forces the cage to bend out of position. Loose bearings is the best option for strength and reliability although makes servicing slower unless you have sealed bearings. Caged bearings is what makes assembly cheaper at the factory they just drop them in but and end user can improve that by fitting loose bearings. Weldtite do some very high quality british made bearings that are a huge and cheap quality upgrade to many bikes.
busta

Post by busta »

Ah, i see your ease of use at the factory point.

Ok so is it these on Bay im guessing?

Weldtite Ball Bearings & Grease 5/32" TF2 Lubricant Lithium Grease
5/32" 3.9688mm Ball Bearings 54 balls used on headsets

ill have to find a you tube vid on installation but i guess its fill the bucket up with grease, plop them in the grease and sandwich everything together.?