QR Gravel wheels - tubeless.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
slowster

Re: QR Gravel wheels - tubeless.

Post by slowster »

If you have not done so already, it might be worth looking at the options offered by The Cycle Clinic and DCR Wheels. According to its website banner The Cycle Clinic currently has a 1 to 2 week wheel build queue, and DCR Wheels keeps stocks of some of its standard offerings, so either might be able to supply you before you go to Skye.

Although they 'brand' their wheels and components, both are quite open that they are 'just' re-branding rims from the likes of Kinlin, i.e. they are simply wheels made with good quality components by wheelbuilders with good reputations.

The Cycle Clinic in particular looks like it has a wide range of gravel type wheels, offering something for everyone in terms of price, weight, width etc.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... ake-wheels

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/road-disc-gravel-cx/
Syd

QR Gravel wheels - tubeless.

Post by Syd »

Thanks slowster I’ll look into those.

I have had some DCR wheels previously and they are well built.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I got a pair of Hope wheels, so I could run 2 sets of wheels with different tyres & switch easily - Pro4 hubs & their 23mm Endura rims (now superceded by Fortus 23 rims - https://www.hopetech.com/products/wheel ... -23-pro-4/ - no idea what the difference is). Pro4 hubs have a QR option (which is what I have). Mine seem to have been pretty bombproof in almost 4 years of use.

Quick edit to add I'm running nominally 40mm tyres on them.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mattsccm wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 6:13pm Second hand then? So many new bikes have through axles that peoples spare wheels are worthless yet hard to find :roll:
I have 4 disc braked bikes, 1 in each material and 11 pairs of wheels. If I could be bothered to sort them out they would sell but they might be handy one day :lol: Not everyone is like me. How about a wanted advert? Try the gravel forums and Facebook
Bamboo, magnesium, injection-moulded plastic and...? :wink:
Daipink

Post by Daipink »

I thought most, or at least a lot, of thru axle hubs could be converted to quick release with an adapter? If this is the case I think the only barrier would be hub width for your frame.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Some can, as you say, with adaptors.

Not all wheels come with the required adaptors and I don’t know if they are standard or wheel specific when it comes to buying them separately.
busb

Post by busb »

Jamesh wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 7:45pm Do all road / gravel bikes have the same disc - fork / stay geometry ?

I have no knowledge of disc brakes.

Cheers James
Seems so. Hermes finally go around to delivering the cassette for my new rear wheel. Both rotors slotted into their callipers just fine. Did some minor adjustments then went for a ride this evening. 1st offroad in nearly 20yrs. Hell of a blast.

As an aside, I can't figure out why so-called gravel bikes have drop bars - their handling is stifled by them! Mountain bikes have wide bars for a reason.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Gravel bikes are aimed more at rough roads than no roads, AIUI.
busb

Post by busb »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 9:34am Gravel bikes are aimed more at rough roads than no roads, AIUI.
Absolutely! My 1st 2 MTBs were rigid but did have a lower top tubes, 26x2" knobblies but crap cantilever brakes, my Ridgeback does have very decent MTB hydraulic disc brakes with 160mm rotors & enough clearance to take 40c tyres. I wouldn't want to run anything much wider than my 35c ones without innertubes on rims with a 20mm internal width. This gravel conversion suits the available offroad where I live & my advanced years! It also means I only have to juggle wheels rather than a 3rd bike.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The 2020 Mavic Allroad UST Wheelset and Michelin Power Gravel tubeless tyres both arrived today.

An absolute breeze to set up and get tyres mounted. The wheels are through axle but come with the required adapters to make QR compatible and, using 6 bolt rotors, maintains compatibility with all the other wheels at home.