QR Gravel wheels - tubeless.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’m finding myself starting to venture more off the beaten track on my old(ish) Fuji bike. It was originally tagged as an adventure bike at the time on purchase and has plenty of space for tyres up to 45 mm.

It’s currently on a Kinesis wheelset that are ideal to set up tubeless as the well is quite deep making it nigh on impossible to seat tyres so I plan to keep my GP4 season tyres on those and buy another wheel set to swap out.

Wheels need to be QR compatible, both front and rear, with a Shimano freehub. Will need to buy rotors so 6-bolt or centre lock isn’t relevant.

Looking at what available I’m beginning to confuse myself with all the standards!

Anyone using a similar setup that works?

Would like to keep budget (wheels only) under £400.
Last edited by Syd on 18 Sep 2021, 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Re: QR Gravel wheels - tubeless.

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You could use the same type of hubs you have now, assuming you're happy with them, which you seem to be, and have new wheels with tubeless rims built up by a local wheelbuilder. Or knit them yourself if you have the skill and time.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sadly I don't have the time to build my own and the wheel builder I know is stacked up with work till next year. I'd also rather not cannibalise my current wheels.
pq

Post by pq »

As I recall Hunt have at least one set of wheels which would tick your boxes. Possibly Scribe and maybe Cero too.
One link to your website is enough. G
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Syd wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 4:41pm Sadly I don't have the time to build my own and the wheel builder I know is stacked up with work till next year. I'd also rather not cannibalise my current wheels.
I didn't mean cannibalise your current wheels, but get more hubs of the same type. Fair point about time though. If you did decide to go that route, https://www.ryanbuildswheels.co.uk is a wheelbuilder I can recommend from personal experience.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I have found that wide tyres, e.g. 38mm, do not stay properly seated on the bead of the rim on my Kinesis Crosslight wheels. Finally this summer I bought a pair of wheels from Spa to replace the Crosslights. However, I have not yet got around to ftting them, because I also want to make a few other changes at the same time.

For what it's worth, I chose XT M756 hubs and Kinlin XR-26RTS rims. The Kinlin XR-26RTS rim seems to be generally highly regarded, e.g. favourable comments on the The Cycle Clinic's and DCR wheels' websites.

I wanted (for what are probably unjustifiable irrational reasons) 36 holes front and rear (Spa are out of 36 hole rear M756 hubs according to their website, but they still had some in stock which they were keeping back for full wheelbuilds and complete bikes). The XR-26 rims are only available in 36 holes in the RTS assymetric version, but I wanted that anyway for the reduced dishing and resulting stronger wheel. Spokes were Sapim Race with Leader on the rear drive side, with brass nipples. They are doubtless not as light as the Kinesis wheels with their low spoke count and alloy nipples, but I have not bothered to to weigh them.

I have not yet compared the bead shoulder and well of the XR26RTS with the Kinesis rim, but this is the profile:

Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I’ve looked at Hunt’s site but build times are now into November and I’m hoping to get something working by the time I go to Skye in October.

Anyone tried UST compatible rims? Are they able to be fitted with tyres other than UST? (With sealant of course).
Syd

Post by Syd »

It’s Kinesis Crosslight (V2 or 3 can’t quite remember) wheels I was working with slowster. From your experience I reckon I’ll stick to keeping them with tubes and the GP4 tyres
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Second hand then? So many new bikes have through axles that peoples spare wheels are worthless yet hard to find :roll:
I have 4 disc braked bikes, 1 in each material and 11 pairs of wheels. If I could be bothered to sort them out they would sell but they might be handy one day :lol: Not everyone is like me. How about a wanted advert? Try the gravel forums and Facebook
Syd

Post by Syd »

Been searching all afternoon and think I might be getting somewhere.

Found the 2020 Mavic Allroad UST Wheelset in stock well under budget, and 6 bolt so can make use on disks I have. Whilst looking into UST tyres I found some feedback on Michelin Power Gravel tubeless tyres that said, whilst they wear a plan to mount on one particular wheelset went on easily on the Mavic Allroad.

The Allroad come with adapters to QR included so might be one option.

Bookmarked the pages whilst I search for other options but may come back to that combination.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Do all road / gravel bikes have the same disc - fork / stay geometry ?

I have no knowledge of disc brakes.

Cheers James
busb

Post by busb »

I was out exploring a few weeks ago on my Giant Defy when I ended up running out of tarmac & ended up crossing gravel on treadless 25c tyres. I stayed upright with some effort. This was my 1st offroad in about 17yrs.

I enjoyed it so much, partly due no near-misses with motor vehicles that I looked into buying a MTB again to discover the choice is laughable at the moment. I decided to buy a new pair of wheels instead, obviating the need for a 3rd bike. These have skewers to fit my hybrid with adaptors to fit the Defy's thru-axles if required - this flexibility was one reason why I went with Hunt that will take axles up 15mm dia.

Much to my surprise, the Schwalbe 35c X-ONE ALLROUND's went on with some effort by hand. The rotors fitted fine but the supplied rings splines are non-standard so fitted the Shimano ones instead. The new cassette arrives next week but the lock-ring won't fit to the free-hub body so will be contacting Hunt Monday.

If any of you go with Hunt, I doubt if you will have the same issue with their free-hub & you'll have considerable axle flexibility if you want to swap between bikes.
busb

Post by busb »

Jamesh wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 7:45pm Do all road / gravel bikes have the same disc - fork / stay geometry ?

I have no knowledge of disc brakes.

Cheers James
I'll let you know next week - I'm presuming they do, otherwise I've made an expensive mistake!
Syd

Post by Syd »

There are different standards such as QR, a couple of variants of thru-axle and Boost.

In QR I believe disc brake hubs are a bit wider that rim brake ones but remain the same width within their type.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Anyone any real life experience of the Superstar Components V6 hubs?

Been reading mixed reviews on them.