Does any decent wired bike computer with average cadence exist?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Manc33

Does any decent wired bike computer with average cadence exist?

Post by Manc33 »

I don't want a wireless bike computer telling me my max speed was 99.99 MPH so I want a wired one, but thought I might have a look for one with average cadence. Cateye sell the Strada Cadence model but that only shows you your cadence while pedaling on the bike. I want something that shows max/average cadence or at least the average, where it saves it as part of the trip info.

Are there any bike computers that are simply a cadence computer where that's all it shows you? I've got not problem adding another gizmo to my handlebars.

China probably sells them but I have had at least 4 bike computers like "YS" and "SunDing" and they all just break, or never work properly to start with, hence "decent" in the thread title. It baffles me that a company like Cateye isn't making this.

If I know my average cadence and I know my average speed, I can enter that cadence on my all singing all dancing gear inch calc and see what gears I'm using at that average MPH - that's what it's really for, I don't care what the cadence itself is lol.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Tigerbiten

Re: Does any decent wired bike computer with average cadence exist?

Post by Tigerbiten »

I do it the other way around.
I know my speed in MPH and I know my gear inches at that speed so I can work out my cadence.
Start from 100" gear spun at 100 RPM equals 30 MPH.
So ....
30 x gear/100 x cadence/100 = speed in MPH.
Therefore ...
333 x Speed/gear = Cadence.

Easy .......... :D
2_i

Post by 2_i »

You could still try to find Sigma 16.12. For a while Sigma Sports sold them as replacement parts, outside of their official lineup.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Does the average cadence given by bike computers include when you're coasting downhill? If so it doesn't seem to be very useful as I would want to know my average cadence when pedalling.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tigerbiten wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:59am I do it the other way around.
I know my speed in MPH and I know my gear inches at that speed so I can work out my cadence.
So ....
Therefore ...

So if I'm doing 20mph on a 50 X 20 what's my cadence?

700c obviously!

Cheers James
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jamesh wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 9:22am
So ....
Therefore ...

700c obviously!

Cheers James
It depends on you r tyre size but the answer is around 100rpm

https://www.bikecalc.com/cadence_at_speed
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Jamesh wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 9:22am
So ....
Therefore ...

700c obviously!

Cheers James
Gear inches = chainring/sprocket x wheel diameter.
Using 27" for the wheel diameter gives you a 50/20x27 or 67.5" gear.
333 x 20/67.5 = 98 rpm.
You can get more exact by plugging your own wheel diameter in.

Luck ........... :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thanks just needed it for Belgium this afternoon.......!

Cheers James
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

iandusud wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 1:57pmIt depends on you r tyre size...
That's the genius of Tigerbiten using gear inches to do it. The wheel size is factored into it.

I think my gear inches calc needs a new table adding :mrgreen:

I worked out my cadence is about 56 then, going off my average speed. :lol:

A bike computer isn't needed if it can be done the way Tigerbiten said, the other way around. 8)

Asking for average cadence (not just cadence) from a bike computer is asking too much. I looked at that Cateye Strada and there's quite a few reviews with people complaining that it just stopped working etc. Maybe looking for a Sigma 16.12 (like 2_i said) makes more sense. It was Sigma that people complaining about the Cateye said they swapped back to when their Cateye stopped working. Personally I never had a problem with my cheap one (Velo 7 wired).

EDIT: My chart sort of already does it and I didn't realise it, if you juggle the cadence figure until the MPH matches your average speed for the gear you use most often on a flat road, that's roughly your cadence. I just need to add a note about juggling the cadence (trial and error) to work it out, by looking at the speed in MPH, assuming you know what gear you're using most of the time on the flat.

Revised: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147712
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Manc33 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:21pm
That's the genius of Tigerbiten using gear inches to do it. The wheel size is factored into it.
Yes but the gear inches are based on a nominal wheel diameter that doesn't take into account the tyre section. It was alright back in the day when people were riding on 27" x 1 1/4" wheels, which had a diameter of 27", or 26" x 1/4" or 26" x 1 3/8" wheels which had a diameter of 26". Now we have wheels with a fixed rim size, say 700c with bead seat diameter of 622mm, onto which we fit anything from 20mm to 57mm and more, so tyre section can have a significant effect on calculations of gear inches.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Your could always go the whole hog, with wires, and get Shimano Di2 with a D-Fly module linked to a Garmin, or similar device. Feed the resultant file into DI2stats.com and you can see exactly what gear you were in, and when, along with all other data :D
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

iandusud wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 8:59pmYes but the gear inches are based on a nominal wheel diameter that doesn't take into account the tyre section.
Does on (my own) calc I linked to at the bottom on my last post. :P

That lets you put in the circumference in mm (easy to measure wheeling the bike along a tape measure using the valve as a start/end point) then it tells you how many inches to enter into the main box so it can do all its working out (after entering chainring and sprocket teeth).
Syd wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 9:04pmYour could always go the whole hog, with wires, and get Shimano Di2 with a D-Fly module linked to a Garmin, or similar device. Feed the resultant file into DI2stats.com and you can see exactly what gear you were in, and when, along with all other data :D
I thought about maybe strapping a Go-Pro to the chainstay and filming the cassette while riding, that would be cheaper than Di2 :lol:
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

iandusud wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 8:59pm
Yes but the gear inches are based on a nominal wheel diameter that doesn't take into account the tyre section.
Gear inches is chainring/sprocket x wheel diameter.

A 27" wheel is a 700C wheel with 32-622 tyres on.
So it's only a little big for a road bike with skinny tyres and a little small for a MTD with balloon tyres.
But it works fine as a first approximation for 700C wheel.
I'll use the exact wheel diameter if I'm calculating the exact gear inches of a bike.

Luck ....... :D
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Tigerbiten wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 4:19am
iandusud wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 8:59pm

Yes but the gear inches are based on a nominal wheel diameter that doesn't take into account the tyre section.
Gear inches is chainring/sprocket x wheel diameter.

A 27" wheel is a 700C wheel with 32-622 tyres on.
So it's only a little big for a road bike with skinny tyres and a little small for a MTD with balloon tyres.
But it works fine as a first approximation for 700C wheel.
I'll use the exact wheel diameter if I'm calculating the exact gear inches of a bike.

Luck ....... :D
Absolutely, I wouldn't argue with that and it's what I do. The reason I made the comment was to give precise answer to the question about cadence at a particular speed with a specific gear with a 700c wheel. :)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

In Yorkshire I'm too busy worrying about the next hill to work out cadence!

Cheers James