Moulton TSR leading link

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rogerzilla

Re: Moulton TSR leading link

Post by rogerzilla »

The F-frame has no provision for preload adjustment, so I may add half an inch of aluminium rod between the spring abutment and the spring. This is pretty much the same as winding a TSR adjuster up 10-12 threads, making the dodgy assumption that the F-frame spring will also be a bit too compressed, and the front end too low, under my weight.

It does depend on my thumb being strong enough to push it all up the steerer so I can get the brake bolt in!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

According to my copy of Tony Hadland's comprehensive history of Moulton's original design, changes to the F frame front suspension can be made in a number of ways, although probably the easiest way to firm it up is to place an additional spacer between the spring and the spring abutment, as shown below. I just used a short piece of wooden dowel. An alternative to thumb pressure is place a suitable length of something stout between the floor and the protruding spring abutment and then lean on the top of the fork steerer, having padded it out suitably first. This gives you both hands to deftly pop the brake / brake bolt in the 'ole.
F frame front suspension diagram
F frame front suspension diagram
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Although I would not recommend or suggest it, it is ok to ride with the lock nut loose. I have done although that was forgetfulness rather than a deliberate choice

The trick to which I sometimes forget is that you need to have the frame sections at quite acute angles to get the hook in.

I have thought about getting a t shirt or cycling shirt with the following on:
No it doesn't fold
No it isn't electric
No it isn't a Brompton
It's a Moulton
It is as fast as a normal bike
Yes there's not many about
brumster

Post by brumster »

simonineaston wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 10:03pm I've refined my answer to that old chestnut down to two words - "gear ratios". If they've got any sense, they think about it and think it over. If they haven't got any sense, it usually confuses them enough for me to escape...
My reply was " Just as fast as larger wheels ! "
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

faster.... we can keep the world speed record up our sleeve, in case it's needed ! According to the enthusiasts' website here, it still stands.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The AM might be faster and hold a speed record, but a TSR is slow, non-aerodynamic, heavy, and laborious.
Still a good ride though! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman

Post by Norman »

I've just got back from a short ride on the Somerset levels, (all my rides are short!) and I'm still happy with the bike, so I'll certainly be keeping it.
Is there any technical reason the front wheel isn't quick release? Can I fit a QR spindle instead of the solid spindle?

Most of my rides are car assisted and I'm wondering if splitting and re-assembling the bike is likely to cause any damage or wear and tear after while?
The alternative is to lay the back seats down and take the front wheel out, hence the question about QR hubs. The car is small, a Nissan Micra.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Absolutley no reason why you shouldn't use a front wheel with a QR. Splitting TSRs shouldn't result in undue wearNtear, either. The hook/cup are made from hardened steel as far I know, the bolt and its receiver likewise. Tip: if you find the pedals catch annoyingly on car boot wells, MKS make natty removeable pedals which are totally adorable.
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My TSR came with QR front and rear.
Miche hubs.
28h front and rear.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mic ... prod164267
Mick F. Cornwall
igauk

Post by igauk »

simonineaston wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:09pm
faster.... we can keep the world speed record up our sleeve, in case it's needed ! According to the enthusiasts' website here, it still stands.
The key here of course is 'fully streamlined' otherwise Mick F's experience mirrors mine. I've been asked if I'm riding it for a bet, and if I made it myself...
Moulton TSR 30
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

My new (June) Moulton cone came with qr hubs front and rear. From memory yours is an A8 so nutted on rear but front should be ok. Although if you have a ring spanner handy in the car track nuts should be no problem.

I used to dismantle my tsr often and the powder coat has chipped and flaked at the joint and needs a refinish 6 years on. I hope the new paint is better. Other than that there should be no issue..
Norman

Post by Norman »

Thanks all.
I ordered the MKS removable pedals with the TSR A8. Unfortunately whoever put the package together forgot the little yellow spacers that stop the pedals removing themselves while you're riding! Fran from the Trad Cycle Shop posted a pair but by then I had taken my Shimano pedals from the other bike and will probably continue with them.
Really good quality pedals, they survived being under water as I waded through the river in Glen Feshie years ago, and no water got in.

My next job is removing the flat bars and fitting Allrounder patten. A few hours with totally flat bars and my wrists hurt whereas I find the Allrounders are just the right angle for comfort.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Yeah some of them older APBs / early TSRs, you sneeze and whole lot of powder coat comes flaking off !!
S