Moulton TSR leading link

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Norman

Moulton TSR leading link

Post by Norman »

I am now the proud owner of a Moulton TSR A8 and I already have a question for the Moulton experts here.
Adjusting the leading link suspension, the handbook instructions say slacken the four screws, then tighten until you just can't move the washers.
Does this mean that any slackening back from that point will make no difference to the suspension?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Moulton TSR leading link

Post by Mick F »

I would say, that the "washers moving with a finger-nail" is a starting point.
I like mine just a little bit tighter.

Also, the instructions say that the nylon washers should be unlubed and dry.
When my TSR was brand new, I had a play with the leading links and found they had grease in there. If the people who make them put grease in, that's good enough for me.

I remove the links from time to time, clean them, and then reassemble with fresh grease.

The suspension spring is adjustable, and I screw mine up a bit as I don't like it too bouncy, and the tighter leading links dampen it nicely too.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

The service instructions say to tighten just to the point where you cannot move the washers with a finger nail.
I find that just when they need a shove is about right. I then usually go for a short ride with an Allen key in the pocket to fine tune and they don't need much.

If you slacken the dampers off much more than that then there is a risk of slop and play which could lead to wear. tighten them much more than that and you lose the benefit of the suspension.

I spray them every now and again with GT85 with kit hen roll behind the links to catch any overspray and stop the rims becoming lubed.

The other bit of guidance is that the links should be roughly horizontal when suspension is loaded (rider sitting on bike). that can be tuned with the preload on the adjuster above the brake. Wind it up a bit and get an assistant to check the link positions. Then lock it off with the lock nut. A 15mm spanner does nicely for that.

If you ever disassemble the front suspension, remember when reassembling that the links only fit one way around so mark them. The distances between the bolts is not the same.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Oh and happy moultoneering!

I hope you enjoy the new bike and have many happy miles.
Two other tips from experience.

The bikes like the tyres to be quite hard imo. Soft underinflated tyres seem to fight the suspension and really slow the bike for me.

I also found that moving the saddle as far forward as I could seemed to help as well. Before Moultons I always had saddle pushed back. It seems to move the weight very slightly forward from the rear suspension and again may improve performance slightly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, they will go on wrong, but it's obvious that they're wrong.
A good idea is to photograph them correctly assembled and keep the photo for reference.

This is mine.
SP dyno hub and radial spokes.
IMG_0738.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman

Post by Norman »

Thanks for all this, I thought there would be some experts here! I've also sent my cheque to the Moulton Bicycle Club.
I discovered a Moulton service instruction sheet so I've printed that.

This weekend is a Rough-Stuff Fellowship meet so I can try the Moulton on some Chiltern tracks.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I remove the links from time to time, clean them, and then reassemble with fresh grease.
Me too - I go with the finger-nail / washer thing too. The damping adjustment is something you'll play with once then you realise it's not that significant and it's likely that for the rest of your TSR ownership (may it be long and healthy...) you will ignore.
Of more importance to new owners is getting the pre-load on the front suspension spring right. For example, at 9.5 stones and favouring comfort, mine is backed right off.
front suspension adjustment, Moulton TSR
front suspension adjustment, Moulton TSR
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I see you have the Nutrak tyres! :D :D

Excellent tyres and superb value for money.
Mick F. Cornwall
Norman

Post by Norman »

One thing I noticed on a very short test ride was vibration, not serious but I think it could be after a longer ride.
Does the preload affect that? I haven't touched that bit yet.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

If you're getting vibration then you probably need to back off the damping very slightly by loosening the leading link bolts very slightly.

Small diameter tyres are high pressure do create vibration on certain circumstances and road surfaces. The Moulton suspension is designed and does do a very good job of minimising it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, mine vibrates a bit. It's not like floating on air at all, but it depends on what you're used to with a "normal" bike.
My Mercian has a light springy 531c frame-set so it's a good ride, but I know other people on alu bikes have a horrible time of it on rougher tarmac.

The Moulton suspension gets rid of bumps excellently.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I see you have the Nutrak tyres!
Yes, they're good - thanks for the recommendation. :D Nicely cheap at the time - I think they were about than a fiver each, taking the p&p into account.
One thing I noticed on a very short test ride was vibration,
You'll hit the sweet-spot after tweaking the variables - tyres, their pressure, the spring pre-load - there's even a softer spring available if necessary - and the damping. The whole point of the suspension system is to allow the user to employ high enough tyres pressures at the same time as reducing vibration. Moulton spent a lot of time & energy testing the system to achieve that very aim.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Norman

Post by Norman »

The tyres were pumped hard when the bike arrived and I haven't changed that.

I'm a bit puzzled by the pre-load adjustment, I've read (here?) that it should be set so that when sitting on the bike the link plates are horizontal.
simonineaston wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 5:41pm
Of more importance to new owners is getting the pre-load on the front suspension spring right. For example, at 9.5 stones and favouring comfort, mine is backed right off.
When you say 'backed off' is that the direction that says 'raise'? Does that mean raising the front, sprung section, in relation to the fixed section?
Norman

Post by Norman »

Sorry, I got part of my post mixed with Simon's reply.
I was saying...............
When you say 'backed off' is that the direction that says 'raise'? Does that mean raising the front, sprung section, in relation to the fixed section?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hi Norman - my use of the phrase "backed-off" was probably unhelpful in the context of the mechanism lying vertically! See here, the threaded collar and locknut I was referring to. The slim nut arrowed red is simply a locknut, the collar that adjusts the spring pre-load (said spring unseen as it lies up in the steerer tube) is arrowed blue. The collar has flats machined into it, immediately above the locknut, for a slim spanner to effect adjustment. The collar as shown in the photo is at the lowest point of adjustment and applies the least amount of preload to the spring. I described this situation as "backed-off". The higher up the threads the collar climbs, the more preload is appled to the hidden spring. The locknut is employed to make sure the amount of pre-load is maintained. Hope that helps.
close-up of front suspension adjustment
close-up of front suspension adjustment
S