Moulton TSR leading link

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Norman

Re: Moulton TSR leading link

Post by Norman »

Ah I see! So the more I lower the collar (blue arrow) the more spring there will be in the front suspension?
I notice in the photo that yours is screwed almost all the way down, whereas mine is quite a way up..
Something to work on tomorrow.

On the subject of vibration, until recently I had two touring bikes, a Longstaff and an Epgrave, and neither suffered vibration except on really bad roads, which is why I noticed it on the Moulton.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is mine.
IMG_0740.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

re your first para, Norman, I think we're in agreement, although I would describe the least amount of pre-load (as in my example) as setting the internal spring to its most flexible. Raising the collar pre-loads or stiffens the spring but doesn't reduce the amount of movement that the leading links can travel through.
re the second para, I'm puzzled by your description of vibration as it was Alex Moulton's express intention to reduce vibration, when using small wheels with high-pressure tyres. However as it is a long time since I used an old-fashioned bicycle, fitted with large wheels, I can't really comment on the similarites / differences between the two experiences.
I'm sure a few hundred miles on the Moulton will enable you to iron out any teething troubles and set everything up to best effect.
PS I like the Mendips and used to go there a lot to walk :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Norman

Post by Norman »

The collar on your machine and on Mick F's is much further down than on mine. Something to look at.
The vibration I noticed was via the handlbars. It wasn't severe but I wondered how it would be after several hours.

I'm not quite on the Mendips but a couple of miles north of here and you start climbing.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I have quite a high preload on mine as I'm gravitationally challenged. There's still entry of bounce in the suspension though and it's nice and supple.
IMG_20210920_170818.jpg
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

And another one. This was set up so the links were level when loaded. No idea why the forum software has turned it on its side!
20210920_215141.jpg
11 threads showing, same as gazza's, so I guess he is about 12st 10lb!

Edit: I have the "race spring" so my preload will be different anyway.
Norman

Post by Norman »

This morning I screwed down the pre load so that only two or three threads were left, then took it up the road and back. It feels better, or maybe that's my imagination.
'Up the road and back' means a country lane leading out of the village, so not super smooth tarmac.

Now something in the front is rattling! Maybe I had the leading link plates too loose so I've tightened them slightly.
I'll get there eventually!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'll get there eventually!
I'm sure you will. :-) Once it's all dialled in, you won't revisit it that often. It's pretty much "set and forget".
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Ha. I wish I was as light as Roger!
That's a Cone with the dual rate spring as it's basically an SST.

Norman. It'll dial in. Just takes a little time. Just be steady and don't make too make adjustments at once.

Gaz
Norman

Post by Norman »

Thanks for all the help everyone. This morning I took it for a short ride, six miles with a couple of stiff hills. One the flat it handles beautifully, and going up the hills I can't blame the bike for my lack of power!
Moulton at Pylle.jpg
I think I might change the handlebars to 'Allrounder' pattern, which I have on my other two bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brilliant!

From your photo ........... change of subject here ................. I see you have the standard plastic mudguards.
One single stay on the front.

The front mudguard may crack like mine did as predicted by Brucey. Ideally, it needs two pairs of stays.
I managed to join the crack by fitting a spare mudguard bridge and using spare stays - suitably bent to avoid the leading links.

Since fitted alu mudguards.
Problem solved.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Somewhat surprisingly I never cracked a front mudguard, but I did break rear ones.
The proper Moulton alloy guards which came with my bike are brilliant though and well worth the money. Decent strong stays and just look smashing
IMG_20210911_074125.jpg
Norman

Post by Norman »

I'll watch out for the mudguards, hopefully I won't have to spend more money on new for a long while.

I notice the Moulton Club has two Ms on their badge. Why two?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nobody in the whole world knows...
S
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

So good they named it twice? It's based on the original Moulton head badge, the one above here (the forum software turns all.my vertical pictures sideways!) The one on the right is the earlier "reborn" AM badge - they use a red and blue one now, which IMO isn't as nice. When my TSR gets resprayed, it will have the earlier type instead.
20210923_074239.jpg