Caring for tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bjlabuk

Caring for tyres

Post by bjlabuk »

I have just ordered two new 700 x 25c tyres for my road bike, as the treads on my existing ones are looking worn. I have also noticed the sidewalls are cracked - indicating the rubber is beginning to break down. Does anyone know of any 'spray on' or 'brush on' preventative treatment to maintain tyres in a healthy condition and prevent the sidewalls from cracking ? I know you can get 'tyre shine' spray for autos but I am not bothered about how shiny my bike tyres are, and I obviously don't want to make the tread slippery.
simonhill

Re: Caring for tyres

Post by simonhill »

How old were your old ones? What mileage have you done on them?

Personally, I have never done anything to the sidewalls apart from clean them. The tread is usually worn out before I worry about the sidewalls. The only exception was on one of my Supremes that got a damaged sidewall due to dropping down a pothole. (Supremes are folding and have rather delicate sidewalls).
bjlabuk

Post by bjlabuk »

2 years old, about 1000 miles. Rear tyre no tread left and sidewalls cracking, front tyre no tread left but sidewalls okay. Did a bit of research and have ordered some 303 Tyre Balm and Protectant, which is water based. Hopefully if I treat my new tyres with this it will keep them in good condition.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bjlabuk wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:35pm 2 years old, about 1000 miles. Rear tyre no tread left and sidewalls cracking, front tyre no tread left but sidewalls okay. Did a bit of research and have ordered some 303 Tyre Balm and Protectant, which is water based. Hopefully if I treat my new tyres with this it will keep them in good condition.
I tend to see anything with the word "balm" in it as somewhat hyped.
What is this stuff supposed to do?
And it's water based?
Like the often water-based rain/wet roads you will be riding through?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

No experience of 25 tyres, but 1000 isn't much mileage for them to be down to no tread. Maybe better quality tyres would be better at lasting.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

What pressure perhaps your running under pressure?

Also the grit on the roads varies with location.

Cheers James
bjlabuk

Post by bjlabuk »

Okay the reason I went for this stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/303-Tire-Balm- ... B06XQ32LVZ was because it wasn't too expensive and claims to prevent 'dry rotting' (sidewalls cracking) etc. Being water based it doesn't have any harmful solvents in it. If it turns out to be useless then so be it and I won't have wasted too much money.

Pressure wise, I check my tyres are fully inflated before each ride. I mostly ride on country roads which don't have a smooth surface, but have a surface dressing of chippings.

I will see how my new tyres fare - Vittoria Zaffiro Pro V G 2.0 700x25c.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

bjlabuk wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:35pm 2 years old, about 1000 miles.
Crikey that's bad. Are they a well known brand ?

I wouldn't worry about getting tyres with tread pattern as I'm informed from reading this forum that tread pattern is irrelevant on a pure road bike. They are not like car tyres where the tread is used to move water to stop aquaplaning. Road bikes push the water out simply through tyre pressure on the road - you would need to travel at an impossible speed to aquaplane. In fact having a tread reduces your grip on the road as the amount of rubber contacting the road is reduced by the grooves. Anyone who has driven a 4x4 on the road with off-road knobbly tyres can testify how much the grip is reduced by the gaps between the rubber blocks.
Last edited by Jules59 on 19 Sep 2021, 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjlabuk

Post by bjlabuk »

They were Vittoria Zaffiro's too, only more basic. They came with my Boardman road bike.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Sweep wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 5:18pm
bjlabuk wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 4:35pm 2 years old, about 1000 miles. Rear tyre no tread left and sidewalls cracking, front tyre no tread left but sidewalls okay. Did a bit of research and have ordered some 303 Tyre Balm and Protectant, which is water based. Hopefully if I treat my new tyres with this it will keep them in good condition.
I tend to see anything with the word "balm" in it as somewhat hyped.
What is this stuff supposed to do?
And it's water based?
Like the often water-based rain/wet roads you will be riding through?
They sell something similar for boats :lol:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheap tyres. 2 years isn't bad.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

bjlabuk wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:51pm They were Vittoria Zaffiro's too, only more basic. They came with my Boardman road bike.
Maybe you got a bad batch - it can happen - seen it with car tyres where side walls have severely cracked in 18 months.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If your cheap like me! Try wiggle tyres.
Great value at £10 - 12 ride better than cheap mainstream tyres.

Cheers James
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

mattsccm wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 7:53pm Cheap tyres. 2 years isn't bad.
I agree, 2 years isn't too bad, but it is the 1000 miles that make it not so good. That is 10 miles a week, which is hardly excessive.

Could it be that the bike isn't used much and the tyres go a bit flat leading to cracking of the sidewalls while it is stored sitting on them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Is it possible that Vittoria produces OEM bike 'specials' to a lower spec than their regular tyres?