Boardman 8.9e Hybrid bottom bracket torx bolts loosening

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Liam100

Boardman 8.9e Hybrid bottom bracket torx bolts loosening

Post by Liam100 »

I bought a Boardman 8.9e bike in June, after a couple of weeks of riding a creaking sound developed whilst pedalling which progressively got worse in the coming days. It turns out the Torx head bolts that secure the bottom bracket to the frame had came loose, I retightened but after around a weeks worth of riding I needed to tighten them up again . I've been doing this for around 3 months and now the thread has stripped on the frame for one of the Torx bolts.

the bike was returned to Halfords and I was informed that a new frame had been ordered (pending wait time) they cited the bike having no suspension and being susceptible to vibration for the Bolts loosening and then the bike being used with loose bolts as the reason for the threads being damaged.

When I asked what they recommended to prevent the bolts loosening again they told me that every few days "I would have to do a little bit of maintenance and tighten them up" which I was not happy about, I told them i didnt feel that it should be on the customer to do that and then after a little more awkward conversation they said they would apply thread locker if necessary which still leaves me in doubt.

I plan on contacting Boardman directly to see what their response is for this, after a little internet digging I can see that this seems to be a common problem for this bike .

I am very interested to know if anyone else has had a problem with this and what response/solutions were offered.

I feel like the bike should be engineered to handle vibration and feel disappointed that this has happened considering the price of the bike.
531colin

Re: Boardman 8.9e Hybrid bottom bracket torx bolts loosening

Post by 531colin »

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... -8.9e.html
This?
An electric bike with a Fazua drive system?
My first comment is that a brand new bike should work, and if it doesn't I think you have some sort of comeback under the consumer legislation.
The Fazua drive system is used by various bikes from different manufacturers.....are these troublesome bolts part of the Fazua bit or part of the Boardman bits? Several people using this forum have Fazua powered bikes, you might have more response with "Fazua" in the title.
There is a bit of this forum for E bikes, and a different forum called pedelecs which is worth looking at.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Do you want to return it and get your money back?

Jonathan
Liam100

Post by Liam100 »

Apart from the torx bolts problems I'm really happy with this bike. And I feel an anti vibration solution is available, threadlocker/spring washer/nordlock washers etc

So I'm waiting to see what halfords Come back with and how it goes with the new frame before I Consider the Money back option.
Liam100

Post by Liam100 »

Thx Colin 531 I will search those other sections of the forum and yes the bike you linked is the one I have.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd suggest some locktite should do it.
Not sure which one would be best others will know better.

Cheers James
m21s21

Post by m21s21 »

I have the same problem, stopping and tightening screws - i would be really interested to hear how Halford resolve this or what thread lock works.

I have only had my bike for a few weeks, it was a replacement for a previous one returned after 2 yrs 11 months on warranty because the bottom bracket was noisy

Cheers Mark
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 12:45pm I'd suggest some locktite should do it.
Not sure which one would be best others will know better.
m21s21 wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 1:49pm I have the same problem, stopping and tightening screws - i would be really interested to hear how Halford resolve this or what thread lock works.
"How to Choose the Right LOCTITE® Threadlocker":
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... ocker.html

Jonathan