Which Bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Fraz101

Which Bike?

Post by Fraz101 »

I have a MTB just now which I use for my short commute to work which is on and off the road up onto some pavements etc, it suits my needs perfectly. I have been enjoying cycling a lot more recently and got to thinking of getting something I could use for more than my short commute (cycling to supermarket,visiting friends etc nothing of great distance, maybe 10-12 miles max in total to somewhere.

My friend has a giant contend road bike which he kindly let me try this morning, after a short ride I realised a bike like that may not be 100% ideal to suit my needs, it was obvious going up and down kerbs etc would not be ideal on such a bike.

I did buy myself a Giant Rapid 3 a couple years ago which is a hybrid however I didn’t enjoy going longer road cycles on this as it had flat bars instead of drop bars. I ended up selling it on as I tended to use my trusty MTB instead (giant rock se)

I guess I’m looking for best of both worlds which may not be possible to achieve?

Does anyone have any advice on what would suit my needs best?

Something that’s light and fast but I can also use for shorter rides and not always stick to the road on and can take a little bit of pavement riding too. I like the thought of trying drop bars to help with slightly longer journeys but not sure?

I’m a complete novice when it comes to knowing what’s best etc so sorry in advance
rotavator

Re: Which Bike?

Post by rotavator »

It sounds as if you need an uber fashionable GRAVEL bike, i.e. one with drop bars, wide tyres and disc brakes. There are plenty to choose from but availability may be poor. Good luck.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Fraz101 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 6:47pm I have a MTB just now which I use for my short commute to work which is on and off the road up onto some pavements etc, it suits my needs perfectly. I have been enjoying cycling a lot more recently and got to thinking of getting something I could use for more than my short commute (cycling to supermarket,visiting friends etc nothing of great distance, maybe 10-12 miles max in total to somewhere.

My friend has a giant contend road bike which he kindly let me try this morning, after a short ride I realised a bike like that may not be 100% ideal to suit my needs, it was obvious going up and down kerbs etc would not be ideal on such a bike.

I did buy myself a Giant Rapid 3 a couple years ago which is a hybrid however I didn’t enjoy going longer road cycles on this as it had flat bars instead of drop bars. I ended up selling it on as I tended to use my trusty MTB instead (giant rock se)

I guess I’m looking for best of both worlds which may not be possible to achieve?

Does anyone have any advice on what would suit my needs best?

Something that’s light and fast but I can also use for shorter rides and not always stick to the road on and can take a little bit of pavement riding too. I like the thought of trying drop bars to help with slightly longer journeys but not sure?

I’m a complete novice when it comes to knowing what’s best etc so sorry in advance
Have to admit the Giant Rapid, a flat bar road bike is precisely what I'd have recommended. Particularly for someone adjusting from a MTB flat bar bike. Why do you think drop bars would help on longer journeys? They can make a difference on long day rides, but have to admit I'd never choose them for general mixed use.

If the initial tyres on the Giant Rapid are a bit light for too much gravel path use, I'd merely change them for something a bit heavier duty when the originals wear out, allowing for heavier "off road" use. Same with the wheels.

I toured on a cyclocross / gravel bike for 15 months and though kept it for general use for a few years, never found it particularly satisfactory. Although it "looked" like a road bike with drop bars, it was far too an upright riding position to remotely compare with a road bike for road use. And heavy drop bars weren't that great for off ride roading
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

How about a Giant Antroad? Drop bar, low geared, go anywhere bike, similar to the Contend. There's an Anyroad 1 and Anyroad 2, the second with cheaper parts. Prices of used models are about £350 to £500 on the likes of Gumtree.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210924-210927.png
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

I struggled on longer road journeys with the flat bar as my hands and arms were stuck in the same position for too long and caused numbness etc. I thought drop bars may help as I would be able to change positions of my hands and arms?

I have been offered a virtually brand new Boardman ADV 8.8 that I am considering, it sounds like it may be something worth considering that may suit my needs?
Last edited by Fraz101 on 24 Sep 2021, 9:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Double post
Last edited by Fraz101 on 24 Sep 2021, 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Double post
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Fraz101 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 9:26pm I struggled on longer road journeys with the flat bar as my hands and arms were stuck in the same position for too long and caused numbness etc. I thought drop bars may help as I would be able to change positions of my hands and arms?

I have been offered a virtually brand new Boardman ADV 8.8 that I am considering, it sounds like it may be something worth considering that may suit my needs?
I'd go for it if the price is right.

Sora groupset 9 spd for performance and economy.

Triple butted frame, disc brakes carbon forks, job done!

Great bike you won't get an significantly better bike for less than £2k.

Cheers James
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Thanks for all advice

I bought the boardman adv 8.8

Hopefully it suits my needs well