Crazy mystery chirping screeching noise

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tripletail52

Crazy mystery chirping screeching noise

Post by Tripletail52 »

Hi, My road bike is making a crazy mystery chirping screeching noise and for the life of me I can't figure out where it's coming from. It's really difficult to explain the problem to a local bike shop person as the noise only starts when I start cycling. Anyway they don't seem very interested.

I uploaded the sound here: https://soundcloud.com/steve-choi-85934 ... bike-noise

1. The noise didn't gradually grow louder. It suddenly appeared one rainy day and is still here.

2. It starts when I get up to a good speed. It continues even when I'm coasting.

3. Spinning the wheels when the bike is mounted to the stand does not create the noise. (So my weight on the bike must have something to do with it.)

4. It's not the brakes. The noise is separate from whatever noise the brakes make.

5. It's not the tyres. My bike has disc brakes and there's nothing rubbing against the rim or the tyres.

6. The noise is not constant. It can be gone for a few days and come back. It visits the bike when it wants to.

Am I hearing things or can you also hear it in the audio file? How do I get rid of it?? Somebody help me please!
mig

Re: Crazy mystery chirping screeching noise

Post by mig »

does the bike have mudguards?

if so it sounds like a wheel may be slightly loose in the dropout and shifts to rub the tyre against the inner of the mudguard maybe in one or two spots in the revolution.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

My best guess is one you've ruled out. ...A light tyre rub on something.

Doesn't sound metal...ly.

something strange like metal saddle rail moving within plastic frame?
old fangled
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Disc pads touching the rotor? What happens if you move the brake lever(s)?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Seagoon

Post by Seagoon »

Is the front derailleur cable rubbing on the rear tyre ?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If it started during a ride in the rain, then it sound like something small got washed into somewhere it shouldn't be.
As it still there while you are coasting then a wheel bearings or calliper may be the source of the noise.
Take the wheels off and spin the axles carefully be hand, what you're feeling for is a rough/sticky spot that maybe a sign of a bearing on the way out.
While the wheels are off, double check there's nothing stuck/trapped in the bottom of a calliper. Also have a good look at the rotors that there's not a worn line on one that may indicate that somethings rubbing on it.

Luck ......... :D