Having difficulty finding a bike to replace my current one

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SupermanVsSnowman

Having difficulty finding a bike to replace my current one

Post by SupermanVsSnowman »

I intend to replace my current bike as it's getting on a bit and I really can't afford to be without a functioning one. Plus I want hydraulic brakes as I am not impressed by the mechanical discs on my current bike, they're ok but not great. I am looking for a touring bike with the following criteria:

Hydraulic disc brakes
Drop handlebars
Front and rear racks
Front and rear mudguards
Absolutely NOT press fit bottom bracket.
Not an e-bike

Needs to be reliable as I don't drive any more. Too many speed cameras, too much traffic and too much hassle and too much expense just to be stuck in traffic or stuck behind a dawdler.

Have checked the usual online places (google, tredz, crc)but there is nothing that matches all the above criteria. Thought I would ask for advice here. I'm not even aware of that many online shops. Am hoping someone could recommend a few places to check out or where to avoid.

Do you consider aluminium a good material for regular heavy use? Mostly road use with light off-roading. Looking around £1500ish.
PH

Re: Having difficulty finding a bike to replace my current one

Post by PH »

This Spa Elan would be on my shortlist.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s223p35 ... draulic%29

Hydraulic brake, drop bar groupsets are expensive, getting on for half your budget, that's going to restrict your choice.