New rims needed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jamesh

Re: New rims needed

Post by Jamesh »

Bice wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 10:46pm
geomannie wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:28pm
+1 for what iandusud has suggested. My current (nothing special) Tiagra front hub & spokes are now on their 4th rim
How have you managed this? I have never worn out a rim commuting in London or on my road bikes. They have lasted years. Admittedly, no serious hills and most braking is just lights and junctions. Are you using on muddy country roads in winter? Or live in the Dales or something?

Re OP Re ERD, Spa Cycles and SJC were completely wrong for ERD on Sputnik 26 inch, so I would always order a rim and then get the right spokes. Given you already have spokes, you are right to chance it with a given ERD, and this is anyway a more common rim. Good luck.
Some geographic area have a very abrasive rock which when wet becomes a very good abrasive paste and quickly wears rims out.

Cheers James
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Bice wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 10:46pm
geomannie wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:28pm
+1 for what iandusud has suggested. My current (nothing special) Tiagra front hub & spokes are now on their 4th rim
How have you managed this? I have never worn out a rim commuting in London or on my road bikes. They have lasted years. Admittedly, no serious hills and most braking is just lights and junctions. Are you using on muddy country roads in winter? Or live in the Dales or something?

Re OP Re ERD, Spa Cycles and SJC were completely wrong for ERD on Sputnik 26 inch, so I would always order a rim and then get the right spokes. Given you already have spokes, you are right to chance it with a given ERD, and this is anyway a more common rim. Good luck.
I think you have answered your own question. All year round hilly cycling on filthy roads, plus having been using OpenPro rims with notoriously thin walls.
geomannie
Bice

Post by Bice »

I am in a club in Hampshire, which does have some serious hills (as does Surrey: ludicrously these home counties have some of the steepest climbs, more to do with ancient property rights rather than geography: ie how on earth did Leith Hill in Surrey ever work as a road before engines?)

I only use my Open Pros on the summer bike (the Italian steel frame); the Trek which I use in winter has Bontrager or another mass manufactured wheel.

You can wear out rims there, if you ride out a lot all year. But the main problem in Hants is flint and punctures.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch