New rims needed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Halla

New rims needed

Post by Halla »

Good Morning All

I need new wheel rims as there is a split around the spoke hole of an Mavic MA3, which I understand is quite common.

I ride primarily on our very rough and pot holed roads, which probably caused the damage.

The bike is a steel framed Dawes Audax from 2004

I would like to re-use the spokes, which are good quality.

The bike has covered no more than 10000 miles.

The hubs are Quando sealed and still running smoothly.

Are these hubs worth re-using?

Am I correct, .that the ERD of the replacement rims should give a good size match?

I have looked on the Spa Cycles website and the ERD is not always shown!!!

Is there anywhere else that I can find out the ERD of specific rims?

OR should I just buy some nice new SPA built wheels?

I ride about 1000 miles a year on this bike and will probably reduce this as I age past 70 next year.

Sorry (edit)

Thanks for your help.

Andy
iandusud

Re: New rims needed

Post by iandusud »

If your hubs are running smoothly there's no reason not to do as you suggest and simply replace the rims using the original spokes, which is what I do in those circumstances. Assuming the rims are 700c the ERD for the MA3 is 607mm so you are going to have to find replacement rims with a similar ERD. It's worth checking you existing spokes to see where they come to in the nipple. In theory they should just reach the bottom of the slot in the nipple. In practice they may be longer or shorter and this will influence your choice of available rims. For example if the spokes come to the bottom of the slot in the nipple you would get away with an ERD of 603mm.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

iandusud wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 11:17am If your hubs are running smoothly there's no reason not to do as you suggest and simply replace the rims using the original spokes, which is what I do in those circumstances. Assuming the rims are 700c the ERD for the MA3 is 607mm so you are going to have to find replacement rims with a similar ERD. It's worth checking you existing spokes to see where they come to in the nipple. In theory they should just reach the bottom of the slot in the nipple. In practice they may be longer or shorter and this will influence your choice of available rims. For example if the spokes come to the bottom of the slot in the nipple you would get away with an ERD of 603mm.
+1 for what iandusud has suggested. My current (nothing special) Tiagra front hub & spokes are now on their 4th rim
geomannie
Halla

Post by Halla »

Thank you for the relies.

So far I have found the Exal XR2 to be a close match at 606mm ERD.

This should be ok as I normally use 25mm tyres

Great shame that the ERD measurement is not commonly available.

I have trued the wheel, but not sure if it should be ridden, although there is damage at only one spoke hole.

Thanks again

Andy
drossall

Post by drossall »

You probably know this, but strap the new rim to the old one with anything that comes to hand, and with the valve holes lined up. Then move the spokes across. Saves re-lacing the wheel.

I'm not convinced about the bumps you've ridden over causing the damage. Can be various things, including just the age of the rim. Older or well-used rims will also have worn brake tracks, of course, leading to potential side-wall failure. You're replacing the rims anyway, so not really a concern, but something to watch out for. New rims will generally have indicators to help you to monitor wear.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Halla wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 5:28pm Thank you for the relies.

So far I have found the Exal XR2 to be a close match at 606mm ERD.

My experience with these rims is that they are 'illegitimate' tight when trying to get certain tyres on.

I think I was running Gatorskins and my pal was using Contis. Bleeding from the fingernails and eyeballs trying to get them tyres on!!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Whilst off roading some years ago,my rear mech went into the spokes and ripped a spoke and nipple out of the rim,leaving a 6-7mm hole.New rim.....or so I thought until brucey suggested a small backing plate in the well of the rim.Tried this ,with some silicon filling the gap(just to prevent water entering),still using this(disk)rim to this day.Now your rim ,a rim brake I assume,may be approaching end of its useful life anyway but if not,try it.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

The Exal rims are keenly priced but my last experience with them (albeit with a different model the LX17) was not good.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144485&p=1586480&hi ... 7#p1586480

The valve hole was poorly drilled and although I filed it down and kept the rim and built it up the external width of the rim was not even resulting in a pulsed sensation while braking.

I realise this is a sample size of 1 but it was enough to put me off buying them again.

Steve
Halla

Post by Halla »

Thank you for the replies.

I have not heard much about the quality of Excal rims.

I am in contact with SPA Cycles trying to get more information about the Kinlin rims which I had not heard about until recently. It is matching the ERD which is my main concern, and this information seems to be missing.

Thanks Andy
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

I need new rims on my Campag Khamsin,which are otherwise in good order and running smooth. I'm not sure I have the tech chops to build and true a wheel, however. Would it still make sense to buy new hoops and get the LBS to do it for me?
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

If you download the spoke calculator spreadsheet from https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.xls, one of the tabs in the spreadsheet contains a listing of about 1000 rims, The first column of the list is the ERD for each rim, and if you sort by that, you can easily see all the rims with the same or very similar ERD.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Steve O'C wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:30am The Exal rims are keenly priced but my last experience with them (albeit with a different model the LX17) was not good.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144485&p=1586480&hi ... 7#p1586480

The valve hole was poorly drilled and although I filed it down and kept the rim and built it up the external width of the rim was not even resulting in a pulsed sensation while braking.

I realise this is a sample size of 1 but it was enough to put me off buying them again.

Steve
I built up a dynohub wheel last winter using an Exal ML21 rim and have no complaints about the quality. This only goes to demonstrate that there may well be a difference in design spec or manufacture between one model of rim and another. It is even possible that different models are made by different manufacturers (Do Exal make their own rims or are they out sourced?).
Keezx

Post by Keezx »

Kinlin ADHN has ERD 605 , not expensive and quite good in genertal quality.
drossall

Post by drossall »

That helps. I've been looking for some rims of that ERD to replace my DRC ST19s.
Bice

Post by Bice »

geomannie wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:28pm
+1 for what iandusud has suggested. My current (nothing special) Tiagra front hub & spokes are now on their 4th rim
How have you managed this? I have never worn out a rim commuting in London or on my road bikes. They have lasted years. Admittedly, no serious hills and most braking is just lights and junctions. Are you using on muddy country roads in winter? Or live in the Dales or something?

Re OP Re ERD, Spa Cycles and SJC were completely wrong for ERD on Sputnik 26 inch, so I would always order a rim and then get the right spokes. Given you already have spokes, you are right to chance it with a given ERD, and this is anyway a more common rim. Good luck.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch