Quick release wheel problem

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Petersull

Re: Quick release wheel problem

Post by Petersull »

Sorry for troubling you guys with my silly newbie problems. I may be best just going back to the shop I bought it from as it is still under warranty. Thanks for your input, I thought it may be some common problem you were aware of and have solution for.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Petersull wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 9:07pm It may possibly have something to do with the disk slotting into the pads, but it is difficult to tell while I'm on my own with no one to support it while I check. It used to be so easy, but is obviously getting worse.
It is important that the brake lever of hydraulic brakes is not squeezed while the wheel is removed, otherwise the self-adjusting nature of the brakes results in the pistons moving closer together, reducing the gap for the disc to slot in between the pads.

I suggest you get a torch and shine it to see what the gap between the pads is. If you have closed the gap, then you need to push the pistons back. A description of how to do that is in the link below, three quarters of the way down the page.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... stallation
Petersull

Post by Petersull »

Thanks for the suggestion slowster. I've just checked and there is sufficient gap between the pads to get the disc in.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Petersull wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 8:54pm I've just taken the front wheel out and taken the attached photos. Spent 10 minutes trying to refit the front wheel unsuccessfully in the comfort of my own garage but can't do it at all now! Never had it that bad previously after getting it out of the car ready for a ride. It just won't go back into the forks.
If you have not already done so, try fitting the wheel without the quick release skewer in the axle. If the wheel will not then go in the drop out slots, that suggests that the quick release is not the problem, and it should make it a bit easier to identify what the source of the problem is. If the wheel does go in the drop out slots, you can then fit the quick release skewer, tighten the nut and clamp it.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Turn the bike upside down on its handlebars (protect BMS if needs be) and the saddle and wrestle at your leisure, take the quick release right off, once you can see the wheel drops in easily (or not) you can retry with the quick release fitted, turn bike right way up and retry, if you struggle that way it's probably that you aren't holding things in alignment.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Once a week,I put the bike in the car which fits in without removing wheels.Not a big car,Nissan Quashquai,but seats fold flat and front forks/wheel ,rotated 90deg,slot behind the front seat.I,m assuming you can,t do something similar?
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Petersull wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 9:11pm Fausto99 you may be correct. I could have lost a washer during my tribulations outside before a ride, but not sure if there was one on the lever side.
How does the front QR compare to the rear? Do they both have the same washers, in the same order?
Richard M
Cardiff
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

As others have suggested try the wheel without the skewer.
We all, especially with modern forks, have to spin the skewer to release the wheel due to the security lips.
As far as I'm aware there are no washers, loose or otherwise, on QRs.

Are those suspension forks? If so have they twisted or gone out of line?
(I doubt it as they should have a brace to keep them stable unless the brace has come loose.)
Front drop outs are usually 4 inches (100mm) across the inside of the dropouts. Just check they haven't spread for some reason.

Have you got a different skewer you could try ?
You'll never know if you don't try it.