Softening a Brooks Leather Saddle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iandusud

Softening a Brooks Leather Saddle

Post by iandusud »

I get on well with Brooks leather saddles out of the box, however this has not been the case for my wife. We have a tandem and I fitted it out a pair of new B17 Imperials over three years ago. We have since covered over 4000 miles on it. My saddle is nicely broken in but my wife's one is as hard as ever with no indentations. She has tried many saddles and finds the Brooks to be the best BUT suffers from coccyx pain. She has tried other saddles, notably with a cut out to eliminate pressure on the coccyx, which has solved this problem but have caused all sorts of other issues. I'm now tempted to take drastic action to soften up the leather. I have read all sorts of suggestions from soaking in hot water to the application of Neatsfoot oil. So I was wondering if anyone here has treated a Brooks saddle in this way with success?

Cheers, Ian
hoogerbooger

Re: Softening a Brooks Leather Saddle

Post by hoogerbooger »

Should it seem relevant:

My B17 has been on a lightly used tourer since 1989 and has no indents, or apparent changes to original shape . I use brooks proofhide and have only once tightenedthe nose a tad.

I found it very comfortable. Then after not using for while and lending to a friend I found it very uncomfortable. After some very slight changes in set back and level I now find it comfortable again. Seems to me a firm saddle is less forgiving.

As you change the set back the pressure & rub points change.

For touring I find a firm gel saddle more forgiving & both me and my missus find cut outs helpful. But still hard find one thst really suits
old fangled
531colin

Post by 531colin »

iandusud wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 11:25am I get on well with Brooks leather saddles out of the box, however this has not been the case for my wife. We have a tandem and I fitted it out a pair of new B17 Imperials over three years ago. We have since covered over 4000 miles on it. My saddle is nicely broken in but my wife's one is as hard as ever with no indentations. She has tried many saddles and finds the Brooks to be the best BUT suffers from coccyx pain. She has tried other saddles, notably with a cut out to eliminate pressure on the coccyx, which has solved this problem but have caused all sorts of other issues. I'm now tempted to take drastic action to soften up the leather. I have read all sorts of suggestions from soaking in hot water to the application of Neatsfoot oil. So I was wondering if anyone here has treated a Brooks saddle in this way with success?

Cheers, Ian
Neatsfoot oil will soften the leather, but you can't stop it at a particular point.
Cut yourself 2 bits of broom handle (or similar) use them to "drum" on the leather where she wants it softer......the softening will stop when you stop hitting it, and you can work on a small area at a time.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

531colin wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 2:07pm
iandusud wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 11:25am I get on well with Brooks leather saddles out of the box, however this has not been the case for my wife. We have a tandem and I fitted it out a pair of new B17 Imperials over three years ago. We have since covered over 4000 miles on it. My saddle is nicely broken in but my wife's one is as hard as ever with no indentations. She has tried many saddles and finds the Brooks to be the best BUT suffers from coccyx pain. She has tried other saddles, notably with a cut out to eliminate pressure on the coccyx, which has solved this problem but have caused all sorts of other issues. I'm now tempted to take drastic action to soften up the leather. I have read all sorts of suggestions from soaking in hot water to the application of Neatsfoot oil. So I was wondering if anyone here has treated a Brooks saddle in this way with success?

Cheers, Ian
Neatsfoot oil will soften the leather, but you can't stop it at a particular point.
Cut yourself 2 bits of broom handle (or similar) use them to "drum" on the leather where she wants it softer......the softening will stop when you stop hitting it, and you can work on a small area at a time.
How about a ballpeen hammer? With regard to softening the leather the reason I'm considering it is simply because it is a lot harder than the leather on my saddle.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Go gently! The leather softens because you are breaking fibres!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Warm damp cloth hour or two before you ride and then ride?

Softens the leather allowing it to mold to shape.

Cheers James
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jamesh wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 4:02pm Warm damp cloth hour or two before you ride and then ride?

Cheers James
Have you used this method?

Ian
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

iandusud wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:35am
Jamesh wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 4:02pm Warm damp cloth hour or two before you ride and then ride?

Cheers James

Ian
I have, following this bloke's procedure. It worked.

http://www.billbostoncycles.com/brooks_pro.htm

IIRC I didn't do the full re-sealing bit, but the saddle didn't appear to complain. It was almost 10 years ago and I forget the details.

NB the saddle remains hard afterwards: you've just re-moulded it without softening it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Audax67 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:52am

Cheers James

Ian

IIRC I didn't do the full re-sealing bit, but the saddle didn't appear to complain. It was almost 10 years ago and I forget the details.

NB the saddle remains hard afterwards: you've just re-moulded it without softening it.
Thank you. I had already read this article (as well as many others!) which is why I asked if you had used this method. I'll give it a go. I'm also tempted to enlarge the cut out towards the rear of the saddle, but on step at a time.

Ian
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

iandusud wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 11:25amI get on well with Brooks leather saddles out of the box, however this has not been the case for my wife. We have a tandem and I fitted it out a pair of new B17 Imperials over three years ago. We have since covered over 4000 miles on it. My saddle is nicely broken in but my wife's one is as hard as ever with no indentations. She has tried many saddles and finds the Brooks to be the best BUT suffers from coccyx pain. She has tried other saddles, notably with a cut out to eliminate pressure on the coccyx, which has solved this problem but have caused all sorts of other issues. I'm now tempted to take drastic action to soften up the leather. I have read all sorts of suggestions from soaking in hot water to the application of Neatsfoot oil. So I was wondering if anyone here has treated a Brooks saddle in this way with success?
You could swap the saddles, so your wife gets the nicely broken-in one. After all, first rule of tandeming: the stoker is always right.

As for breaking in a Brooks saddle, this is Lon Haldeman's method: https://pactour.blogspot.com/2011/01/br ... addle.html.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mrs Rjb is a real figit on the tandem. She would regularly go through a saddle every year. She dismissed leather saddles as being too hard, but when I fitted a well used Brooks it turned out to be the most comfortable saddle she has ever sat upon. It's been on for 3 years now and has had the sides laced up.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

iandusud wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 10:19am
Audax67 wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:52am

Ian

Thank you. I had already read this article (as well as many others!) which is why I asked if you had used this method. I'll give it a go. I'm also tempted to enlarge the cut out towards the rear of the saddle, but on step at a time.

Ian
Dunno about Brooks, but some saddles are multi-layer and might not take kindly to having their holes enlarged.

And I have to ask if you've tried a Selle Anatomica, which is the comfiest saddle I've ever had. They're supple leather, and the two halves flex quasi-independently. You need to lace the sides or they spread and rub, but once that's done they're wonderful. S.A. do special offers at Christmas, too, or at least they used to.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

rjb wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 12:24pm Mrs Rjb is a real figit on the tandem. She would regularly go through a saddle every year. She dismissed leather saddles as being too hard, but when I fitted a well used Brooks it turned out to be the most comfortable saddle she has ever sat upon. It's been on for 3 years now and has had the sides laced up.
Which model?
rjb

Post by rjb »

iandusud wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 12:54pm
rjb wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 12:24pm Mrs Rjb is a real figit on the tandem. She would regularly go through a saddle every year. She dismissed leather saddles as being too hard, but when I fitted a well used Brooks it turned out to be the most comfortable saddle she has ever sat upon. It's been on for 3 years now and has had the sides laced up.
Which model?
Its a sprung model. Possibly a B66 flyer but the single rail version and its the mens version that she has. (Shes only 133Kg) so a lightweight.
Just checked it's a champion flyer.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Greg Lemond used to use the “shaping by water method” on his leather shoes, before synthetics took over.