Erickson Gizmo alternative

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Erickson Gizmo alternative

Post by mattsccm »

Have been searching for a Gizmo for years but no joy and now I woinder if anyone has ever come up with an alternative. For those that don't know, the Gizmo allowed the use of a triple chainset and mech with double STi levers.. It just added one more chunk of cable pull. Such a thing would be handy for me allowing use of a triple alongside my hydro road brakes. I could use a threaded adjuster but something easier to use would be better.
Any bright ideas?
tatanab

Re: Erickson Gizmo alternative

Post by tatanab »

An idea ---------- old Shimano Dura Ace down tube rear stops have/had a 3 position clicking cable adjuster. Just maybe one of those will give enough cable movement. If you can find one cheaply enough it may be worth trying.
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 726 times
https://www.bankruptbikeparts.co.uk/ind ... t_id=21608
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Funnily enough one of those did pop up on an old thread. I think that there was not enough cable pull but it may be worth a look. Ta.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Anyone use one of these on their bikes?
https://www.cyclebasket.com/m9b0s313p28 ... _Adjusters
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Something called logic would suggest you abandon hydro braking.
I should coco.
rjb

Post by rjb »

The dura ace d/t adjuster wont pull sufficient cable. It doesnt pull enough to change a single cog on the cassette, its only useful for a small amount of trimming. Possibly meant for trimming after a wheel change during a race. :wink:

previous discussion and some ideas to pursue here. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=107621

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You must be flaming joking Valbrona :lol:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I started that thread rjb in 2016. Still no further on :roll:
rjb

Post by rjb »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 6:54pm I started that thread rjb in 2016. Still no further on :roll:
I think Bruceys idea of using a thumb shifter on the down tube fed from your sti lever may be your best option. 1 click should give you an extra chainring. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
slowster

Post by slowster »

It might be worth buying a Shimano SM-CB90 Inline Quick Release Brake Cable Adjuster to experiment. It's designed for brake cables, not gear cables, which might cause problems unless the fit of the outer cables can be improved with ferrules. Presumably it releases a similar amount of cable as the QR on a dual pivot brake - I don't know if that would be sufficient.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/shim ... ch-smcb90/

mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Yeah I keep coming back to that but then forget about that project for a year. :D