Why am I eating through chains so fast?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Duradulo

Why am I eating through chains so fast?

Post by Duradulo »

TL;DR: why am I going through chains so fast even with summer on-road riding?

In spring I replaced the chain & cassette on my usual bike as it was skipping and measured at >1% wear. It had gone on new just before Christmas and done perhaps 1500 miles – not a lot but I put it down to the horrible conditions at that time of year. However by the end of June it again needed replacing, after a similar mileage. This time I made an effort to clean more regularly, using two chains and swapping over once a week, with the not-in-use one being shaken up with white spirit before drying and re-lubing.

Having just measured one of these chains at between 0.75 and 1% I conclude that it is something other than a lack of care that is causing them to wear so fast (unless I’m doing it very wrong, which given that the 11sp chains on my road bike last many times longer seems unlikely).

Could chainline be an issue? The crankset/BB fitted to the bike (by me) used Spa’s suggested measurements but I’ve not checked it – looks straight visually comparing to the top tube though. Maybe the components are just poor quality? Something else wonky that’s stressing it? Tendency to use the same gear ratios?

7 speed setup, chain is KMC X8, Shimano HG-41 cassette, friction shifting. Been using Muc-Off wet lube, applying a large drop per roller and then wiping off after a while.

Any ideas appreciated as although parts are cheap enough I’d rather save my time and money for beer than replacing drivetrains!
Jupestar

Re: Why am I eating through chains so fast?

Post by Jupestar »

Something has to be wrong. Assuming you are not an absolute Gorilla mashing the gears.

Firstly, Is this a new problem? since the crankset was fitted, or was it originally fine,
I'd be looking at the front chainrings first, What state are the chainrings in?.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I had a similar problem with KMC chains. Try SRAM, which always seem reliable to me. Don't buy the cheapest one in the range, it doesn't have hardened pins - all others do.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

How are you checking for wear? Previous threads on this subject have exposed some chain wear tools as being way too pessimistic, wrongly showing that new chains are worn.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Duradulo wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 2:57pm This time I made an effort to clean more regularly, using two chains and swapping over once a week, with the not-in-use one being shaken up with white spirit before drying and re-lubing.
White spirit? You might be making things worse by cleaning with such a harsh degreaser. If is better to lightly clean more frequently; without deep cleaning, which will rid the inner bearing faces of lubricant which are also difficult to get lube into.

The winter wear could be acceptable. But using in a wet lubricant in the spring and summer may also make things worse as it attracts grime. Use a dry lube little and often. However, it does sound like an odd amount of wear for a 7-speed chain.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I recall reading a few similar comments abouts about KMC 8 speed chains wearing quickly, e.g. viewtopic.php?p=1281793#p1281793.

I don't recall similar complaints about KMC X9-93, the 9 speed equivalent of the KMC X8-93 chain.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Are you riding mostly off road?
lubricating chain shouldn't be need if you're swapping chains over each week.
I've used KMC chains for a number of years and find them very reliable.
I keep 3 chains in use and swap them over every 500 miles.
A set of 3 chains will last me between 10/12000 miles.
I ride 50% on tracks.
Cleaning is key and putting a dirty chain back on a bike is pointless.
A poor chainline on a bike can accellerate wear so I'd check that first.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

LinusR wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:16pm
Duradulo wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 2:57pm This time I made an effort to clean more regularly, using two chains and swapping over once a week, with the not-in-use one being shaken up with white spirit before drying and re-lubing.
White spirit? You might be making things worse by cleaning with such a harsh degreaser. If is better to lightly clean more frequently; without deep cleaning, which will rid the inner bearing faces of lubricant which are also difficult to get lube into.
My thoughts too.
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

squeaker wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 10:06am
LinusR wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:16pm
My thoughts too.
And along the same lines... why does anyone who starts with a solvent (as opposed to a surfactant) then introduce a water phase, whether it's hot and soapy or not?

Thanks

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 10:08am
squeaker wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 10:06am
LinusR wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:16pm White spirit? You might be making things worse by cleaning with such a harsh degreaser. If is better to lightly clean more frequently; without deep cleaning, which will rid the inner bearing faces of lubricant which are also difficult to get lube into.
My thoughts too.
And along the same lines... why does anyone who starts with a solvent (as opposed to a surfactant) then introduce a water phase, whether it's hot and soapy or not?

Thanks

Jonathan
I'm clueless about chain cleaning. I used to use proper chain degreaser but ran out and switched to White spirit and it appeared to work well (got the muck out) and I did then rinse out with soap & water - probably because that was what Id been doing with degreaser and didn't think about it.

So when using white spirit, is it best to use white spirit and then leave it to dry ? (I'd certainly prefer no soap/water). Does white spirit leave any residue (or and problem residue)?

Ian
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 12:05pm

So when using white spirit...
Don't use white spirit. In the winter use a wet lube but wipe off excess after lubing. Don't over lube.
Clean the chain (and the rest of the bike) little and often with warm soapy water (I use cheap washing up liquid in a very weak solution). Don't let crud and grime build up. Keep the bike clean. Don't jet wash it. (I use a gentle, hand-pumped garden spray.)
After washing spray with GT85 or WD40 (edit: just the chain, not the whole bike!). I spray GT85 onto a cloth and run the chain though it. Then lube as normal. Don't overlube, and wipe off excess lube.

In the drier months use a dry lube. Clean little and often as above.

Some observations. Winter riding in a city in all weathers will wear out chain and components very quickly. City roads are filthy and this will will wear out bike components along with road salt. Full mudguards will help. I now ride a cheap, single-speed, fixed-gear bike with full mudguards in London all year round. The chain and single cog lasts several years. So do the brake blocks (front and rear). Tyres get replaced more often than chains.
Last edited by LinusR on 28 Sep 2021, 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duradulo

Post by Duradulo »

Thanks for all the replies. I know chain cleaning is a bit of a hot topic - as usual when people swear by seemingly contradictory methods I've come to suspect there's not much difference in reality. In any case, the white spirit deep cleaning has only been done since July, before then I was wiping down to remove as much grime as possible before adding fresh lube and willing again, every couple of weeks.
Jupestar wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 4:41pm Firstly, Is this a new problem? since the crankset was fitted, or was it originally fine,
I'd be looking at the front chainrings first, What state are the chainrings in?.
The crankset was fitted not long after I bought the bike, in late 2019. I think it's been an issue since then. The chainrings look fine to me, no sign of 'shark-teeth'.
slowster wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:23pm I recall reading a few similar comments abouts about KMC 8 speed chains wearing quickly, e.g. viewtopic.php?p=1281793#p1281793.

I don't recall similar complaints about KMC X9-93, the 9 speed equivalent of the KMC X8-93 chain.
This is interesting (also hamster's comment). I have some Wippermann chains for the next replacement so would be very pleased if it's as simple as this!
Duradulo

Post by Duradulo »

rotavator wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:13pm How are you checking for wear? Previous threads on this subject have exposed some chain wear tools as being way too pessimistic, wrongly showing that new chains are worn.
Using a cheap drop-in gauge, but by the time it's showing 1% the drivetrain feels noticeably rough when riding and soon after I'll get some slipping under load, so I don't think it's too inaccurate.
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you have a double or triple chainset, wear might be accelerated by "cross-chaining". It seems quite common these days to ride with the chain on big ring and biggest sprocket, rather than finding a better chain line.
Duradulo

Post by Duradulo »

Short update: swapped to a Wipperman chain early last year which is still going strong after about 4000 miles, so it does seem that the 8 speed KMC chains are poor as pointed out by slowster.