Garmin and linux

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tinnishill

Garmin and linux

Post by Tinnishill »

This is a bit of a minority interest and I don’t see much about it on line so I thought that I would share what I know.

Garmin’s published advice tells the user how to use their kit along with a Windows PC, with a little bit of advice for MAC users; I have never found much for linux users. I find it useful to be able to drag and drop GPX files between a laptop and the Garmin; tracks from the Garmin for editing with GPSprune, tracks from cycle.travel or other online track or waypoint generator to the Garmin.

I own an Etrex 10, and a Foretrex 301. I have three (primary school surplus, £45 each) laptops using different versions of Linux.

The Etrex 10 and the Foretrex 301 share the same connector cable; it has a male USB A plug at one end and a male Mini USB at the other end.

The Etrex 10 (updated to version 3.7 of Garmin’s software) plugs in to any of the Linux laptops and appears as an external memory without a fuss; drag and drop works as expected. Either the current GPX track or any saved tracks can be identified individually and moved.

The Foretrex 301 is a bit older and runs version 2.6 of Garmin’s software. When plugged in to a Linux computer it also appears as an external memory but any GPX tracks are completely invisible. Using the Ctrl+H command doesn’t help.

I also own an Android phone and an Android tablet. I discovered that I could use a Female USB A to male Micro USB adapter to connect the Garmin cable to an Android device; the Garmin then appears in the Android File Manager as an external drive. It is possible to hunt through the Garmin files to locate the Current.GPX file, copy it and then paste it into the Android downloads folder. Next unplug the Garmin from the Android and plug the Android into the Linux Laptop where it will appear as an external drive. It is possible to drag and drop the Current.GPX file from the phone or tablet onto the laptop. If the Current.GPX file is opened on the laptop using GPSprune, the individual saved tracks can be identified and separated out.

Like I said this is of minority interest but it might be useful for any one using an older Garmin.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Jdsk

Re: Garmin and linux

Post by Jdsk »

Tinnishill wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:15pmThe Foretrex 301 is a bit older and runs version 2.6 of Garmin’s software. When plugged in to a Linux computer it also appears as an external memory but any GPX tracks are completely invisible. Using the Ctrl+H command doesn’t help.
Does it work with drag and drop/ copy and paste on computers using OSs other than Linux?

Does it use the same privileged folder /automatic import workflow as the newer Garmins?

Thanks

Jonathan
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

by Jdsk » 27 Sep 2021, 8:22pm
Does it work with drag and drop/ copy and paste on computers using OSs other than Linux?
I no longer have access to a PC or Mac that I could test. My memory says "yes".
Does it use the same privileged folder /automatic import workflow as the newer Garmins?
I don't know what that means, and I don't own (and couldn't afford) a newer Garmin that I could compare with.

Cheers.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The female USB A to male micro USB cable you describe above in known as an OTG (On The Go) cable.

I’ve previously used one to get images from a camera onto an old Android tablet.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tinnishill wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:34pm
I don't know what that means, and I don't own (and couldn't afford) a newer Garmin that I could compare with.
I think that's what you're describing with the Etrex 10... mount as a volume... drag and drop/ copy and paste the file into Garmin/New Files... and the Garmin automatically imports them into its database.

This is different from the workflow that involves a Garmin program on the computer to move the file into the Garmin device.

If the Foretrex 301 mounts as a storage volume but doesn't allow the New Files method on the Linux machine then I'd:
1 Check the manual and support pages.
2 Try that workflow on a Windows computer or a Mac
3 Look for a program that will run on the Linux machine and talk to the Garmin device.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 6:23am The female USB A to male micro USB cable you describe above in known as an OTG (On The Go) cable.

I’ve previously used one to get images from a camera onto an old Android tablet.
Similar question to your method ...........

Is it possible to connect a Garmin device to an iPad?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:34amIs it possible to connect a Garmin device to an iPad?
"Garmin Product Compatibility With iPads":
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=y ... u07OsrYrkA

Jonathan
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

I also use a Garmin (Etrex 30, posh eh?) and am entirely linux based.
One other thing to look out for is if you use an external memory card in your Garmin then this mounts as a separate drive with a very similar name and the same folder structure. It's easy to get confused and put your files on the wrong one, which the Garmin device itself then totally ignores.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:34am
Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 6:23am The female USB A to male micro USB cable you describe above in known as an OTG (On The Go) cable.

I should have added what my devices are.
Garmin Edge20 - has it's own connector with USB into a computer.
Garmin Montana 600 with Mini USB on the back using a lead with USB to the computer.

When I asked the question of Apple some years back, they said it was impossible ........ but technology moves on, so I wondered if a lead could be cobbled together to plug into the iPad and using an app.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:56am
Mick F wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 9:34am

I should have added what my devices are.
Garmin Edge20 - has it's own connector with USB into a computer.
Garmin Montana 600 with Mini USB on the back using a lead with USB to the computer.

When I asked the question of Apple some years back, they said it was impossible ........ but technology moves on, so I wondered if a lead could be cobbled together to plug into the iPad and using an app.
As in the linked article above I don't know of a way to do this with a wired connection. It may be possible with a wireless connection.

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Apple provide a camera connection kit which allows a camera to connect, via a cable, as a mass storage device.

I’ve never had any joy with not photo devices.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I asked the question on the discussion forum.
Been a member for years, and remained one when they re-did the forum software.
http://www.gpsrchive.com/Montana/index.htm
Mick F. Cornwall
sjs

Post by sjs »

Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 6:02pm Apple provide a camera connection kit which allows a camera to connect, via a cable, as a mass storage device.

Cheap android phone with an OTG cable, email or bluetooth between phone and ipad? Probably cheaper and a lot more flexible than any extra gizmo Apple might sell you.
Syd

Post by Syd »

sjs wrote:
Syd wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 6:02pm Apple provide a camera connection kit which allows a camera to connect, via a cable, as a mass storage device.

Cheap android phone with an OTG cable, email or bluetooth between phone and ipad? Probably cheaper and a lot more flexible than any extra gizmo Apple might sell you.
I have no need for legacy device support and certainly wouldn’t give an android device any of my time to accommodate it.

I’ve owned two android devices, years apart (to see if it had improved since my first experience) and hated every minute of that ownership.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Syd wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 7:25am
sjs wrote:

I have no need for legacy device support and certainly wouldn’t give an android device any of my time to accommodate it.

I’ve owned two android devices, years apart (to see if it had improved since my first experience) and hated every minute of that ownership.
Come on, no need to mince your words!