What force does a quick release skewer create?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gxaustin

Re: What force does a quick release skewer create?

Post by gxaustin »

I tighten mine so I can undo them. I can tighten them more but then need tools to undo them.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

gxaustin wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 11:29pm I tighten mine so I can undo them. I can tighten them more but then need tools to undo them.
I hear ya. I remember as a kid closing them with my foot to make sure they are tight enough.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
RickH

Post by RickH »

gxaustin wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 11:29pm I tighten mine so I can undo them. I can tighten them more but then need tools to undo them.
It also helps if you orientate the lever so the end of it is in open space rather than along a frame tube or fork leg (without going into Velominati rules about QR orientation in this discussion :wink:). Then you can get your fingers behind the lever to release it, even if you have been a bit too enthusiastic with the tightening! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

"velominati rules" - hahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Similar skewers that have an allen bolt (but look like QR skewers) say to tighten them to 7 Nm.

Doesn't sound like much to hold a wheel in place, but I assume it grips on the same way a QR does.

These:

fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Manc33 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 4:51pm Similar skewers that have an allen bolt (but look like QR skewers) say to tighten them to 7 Nm.

Doesn't sound like much to hold a wheel in place, but I assume it grips on the same way a QR does.

These:

The above clamp (or not) in the same way wheel nuts do - the QR skewer multiplies the force (of the palm) via the cam - I suspect the QR clamping force is significantly more than the 7Nm used on the devices above, which is, of course not the clamping force figure, because that is changed via the thread pitch :lol: .
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

fastpedaller wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 5:08pm
Manc33 wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 4:51pm Similar skewers that have an allen bolt (but look like QR skewers) say to tighten them to 7 Nm.

These:

The above clamp (or not) in the same way wheel nuts do - the QR skewer multiplies the force (of the palm) via the cam - I suspect the QR clamping force is significantly more than the 7Nm used on the devices above, which is, of course not the clamping force figure, because that is changed via the thread pitch :lol: .
It can't be multiplied by more than 4 though just because the thread is fine. :lol:
(7Nm x 4 = 28Nm and that's still just under what Park Tool say for solid axles)