Play in an aheadset. Updated.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TheBomber

Re: Play in an aheadset. Updated.

Post by TheBomber »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 12:42pm If it works would you guys consider it a permanent fix,
Years ago, maybe. But not now. I guess it all depends on your wealth and value of life, as worst case is something moves, the headset binds and you lose steering. I'd be looking to try and get that fork crown race cut properly and then change all or part of the headset as required.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

slowster wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 12:18pm 1" JIS headset (crown race nominal internal diameter 27mm) and 1" Euro/ISO fork (fork crown race nominal external diameter 26.4mm)?*

* From https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... ion-system.

If so, I presume you need either:

A.) to fit a new Euro/ISO headset, or at least the bottom part of one, or

B.) to find and fit a crown race from a Euro/ISO headset that would be compatible with the lower cup of your existing headset. My guess is that might be very difficult/impossible.
As you say, very difficult/impossible to find. I did find a 1” iso crown race in the USA, but they won’t ship to the UK :(
But thanks for pointing out what I need.
I would buy a complete headset if I could find one and it doesn’t cost too much.
Beauty will save the world.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Your crown race looks worn. May be worth investing in a new headset. These come with 2 crown races to suit both Jis and iso sizes.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/mp ... set-black/ :wink:
The top cap is naff with this version but you could reuse your existing cap.

I like these headsets and think they are very good value.
Link here to a description I posted previously.
viewtopic.php?t=129433

Sjsc also have individual crown races. You will have to enquire about Iso or Jis. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

rjb wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 1:35pm Your crown race looks worn. May be worth investing in a new headset. These come with 2 crown races to suit both Jis and iso sizes.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets/mp ... set-black/ :wink:
The top cap is naff with this version but you could reuse your existing cap.

I like these headsets and think they are very good value.
Link here to a description I posted previously.
viewtopic.php?t=129433
your not going to believe this rjb but have actually just this second found that one myself, but thank you very much for letting me know that it's suitable for my needs as I was about to ask that :)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Well done, let us know how you get on.

It's gone very quiet down your way. Have Tesco's reclaimed their lorry yet or is it still acting as a bridge support. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I ordered from your link at £12.99 and that’s what it cost.
My link said £21.99, how odd?

The bridge actually looks better now as they cleared away a lot of overgrown greenery that was all over the place.
To get from one side of the bridge to the other when the work was being done was a mile detour, not so bad but had to endure Mutley Plain traffic.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 1:33pm
slowster wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 12:18pm find and fit a crown race from a Euro/ISO headset that would be compatible with the lower cup of your existing headset. My guess is that might be very difficult/impossible.
As you say, very difficult/impossible to find. I did find a 1” iso crown race in the USA, but they won’t ship to the UK :(
It's not clear to me what you meant. 1” iso crown races will not all be the same, so there is no guarantee that just any 1” iso crown race will be compatible with your lower headset cup. I guess it *might* be possible to mix and match races and cups from different brands or models if they use ball bearings, but cartridge bearings have multiple specific dimensions (internal and external diameters, position and angles of bevels), and I doubt that it would be possible to mix and match races and cups from different brands' cartridge bearing headsets unless they both happened to use exactly the same cartridge bearing.

I think the 1" threadless headsets sold by SJS are probably all ISO standard (some are even marked EC30, which denotes the ISO standard size)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets-1-ahead/ - you can see the £21.99 headset is a different model to the one rjb suggested.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

slowster wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:27pm
slowster wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 12:18pm find and fit a crown race from a Euro/ISO headset that would be compatible with the lower cup of your existing headset. My guess is that might be very difficult/impossible.
It's not clear to me what you meant. 1” iso crown races will not all be the same, so there is no guarantee that just any 1” iso crown race will be compatible with your lower headset cup. I guess it *might* be possible to mix and match races and cups from different brands or models if they use ball bearings, but cartridge bearings have multiple specific dimensions (internal and external diameters, position and angles of bevels), and I doubt that it would be possible to mix and match races and cups from different brands' cartridge bearing headsets unless they both happened to use exactly the same cartridge bearing.

I think the 1" threadless headsets sold by SJS are probably all ISO standard (some are even marked EC30, which denotes the ISO standard size)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headsets-1-ahead/ - you can see the £21.99 headset is a different model to the one rjb suggested.
Well i am even more confused now, are you saying I need to get the more expensive one.
I don't mind that, just want to get the correct one.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:40pm
slowster wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 2:27pm

Well i am even more confused now, are you saying I need to get the more expensive one.
I don't mind that, just want to get the correct one.
Just reread the above and it makes more sense to me now, I don’t intend to mix and match but use the whole headset, still not sure what the difference is between the two headsets but will have another look.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I think the more expensive one is lighter and better quality but does the same job, is that correct folks?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:01pm I think the more expensive one is lighter and better quality but does the same job, is that correct folks?
That would be my take as well. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Your fork crown diameter is 0.08mm less than the nominal diameter of an ISO fork. Therefore I think the main issue is what the actual internal diameter is of the crown race that you get with the headset, and you probably have to buy a headset and measure the crown race yourself to find that out. The actual internal diameter needs to be small enough to provide a good interference fit on your 26.32mm fork crown, i.e. ideally an actual internal diameter between 26.17mm to 26.27mm (0.05mm to 0.15mm smaller than the actual fork crown diameter*).

* From https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... and-facing:
The fork crown race is seated onto the fork crown. Generally this is press fit, with the inside diameter of the crown race being smaller than the fork crown. To determine the fit, measure both the inside diameter of the fork crown race and the outside diameter of the fork crown. A difference between 0.05mm to 0.15mm is generally considered acceptable. Differences less than 0.05mm may be a weak fit and may come loose during use. A strong bearing compound is recommend in weak fits.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

slowster wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:44pm
Vetus Ossa wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:01pm I think the more expensive one is lighter and better quality but does the same job, is that correct folks?
That would be my take as well. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Your fork crown diameter is 0.08mm less than the nominal diameter of an ISO fork. Therefore I think the main issue is what the actual internal diameter is of the crown race that you get with the headset, and you probably have to buy a headset and measure the crown race yourself to find that out. The actual internal diameter needs to be small enough to provide a good interference fit on your 26.32mm fork crown, i.e. ideally an actual internal diameter between 26.17mm to 26.27mm (0.05mm to 0.15mm smaller than the actual fork crown diameter*).

* From https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... and-facing:
The fork crown race is seated onto the fork crown. Generally this is press fit, with the inside diameter of the crown race being smaller than the fork crown. To determine the fit, measure both the inside diameter of the fork crown race and the outside diameter of the fork crown. A difference between 0.05mm to 0.15mm is generally considered acceptable. Differences less than 0.05mm may be a weak fit and may come loose during use. A strong bearing compound is recommend in weak fits.
Thank you.
I think the cheaper one will be sufficient for my needs.
Fingers crossed.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Good choice. Just reuse your existing top cap to set the preload in place of the nylon one supplied. :wink:
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Right ho rjb. Hope to have it up and running sometime next week.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I had all the various bits to hand about 13:30 and everything was installed in a half an hour or so. Turned out to be a simple job when I knew what I was doing and had the right parts.
Thanks to everyone for walking me through this and particularly to jrb for leading me to the right headset.
This is a wonderful site isn’t it.