Spanner

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Spanner

Post by rjb »

Anyone recognise this tool. Bought today at a boot sale. It looks like a bike tool. 15mm pedal spanner with an 8 mm socket and 2 c lockring spanners. It's very substantial, 5mm thick and just over 6 " long. It has 2 button headed M6 stainless screws at one end. Can only think it's to extend the tool to give more leverage. It didn't have the accompanying part if that was it's intention.
It's not a thin steel tool, possibly stainless, but slightly magnetic.
IMG_20211009_163950.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Valbrona

Re: Spanner

Post by Valbrona »

It's that ultra rare Campag multi-tool that fits in the large Campag tool case that nobody can ever get hold of ... worth £500!
I should coco.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

The two M6 screws could be for turning an eccentric bottom bracket. Thorn supplied a 15 mm spanner with similar screws for loosening and turning EBBs.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Pedal wrench, and is one of those hook spanners for an S&S coupling ?
Good call on the EBB adjuster. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

jb

Post by jb »

You bought a tool you had no use for? Reminds me of the time I nearly bought a tool for testing the tension on Sopwith camel wing guide wires, but decided the supply of Sopwith camels was limited. :D
Cheers
J Bro
rjb

Post by rjb »

jb wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 8:13pm You bought a tool you had no use for? Reminds me of the time I nearly bought a tool for testing the tension on Sopwith camel wing guide wires, but decided the supply of Sopwith camels was limited. :D
au contraire, The pedal spanner is very handy and more so the C spanners which fit my bottom bracket lockrings and the smaller one fits the lock rings on my headset. Now i know the 2 screws fit an eccentric i can also use it on my tandem.

Unlike the minature Nubrex grease gun i picked up from a junk shop. Little did i know they came originally with Lambretta scooters. :D
But it was a bargain and a nice looking tool, i'm sure i will find a use for it - greasing hubs maybe, just need to get a roundtuit. :lol:

https://images.app.goo.gl/N6Doho1S3NwLJEWd6
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
jb

Post by jb »

That looks very similar to the one I have that came with our Ajax Empire Lawnmower (inherited) and is now used for a variety of tasks except lubricating lawnmowers.
Cheers
J Bro
freiston

Post by freiston »

It was only when I opened the larger image that that spanner stopped looking like it was sinking into/floating on a layer of thick white foam - did anyone else suffer from that optical illusion?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

yes
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Definitely.

(or defiantly, as it seems often to be rendered nowadays :? )
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

freiston wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 11:48pm It was only when I opened the larger image that that spanner stopped looking like it was sinking into/floating on a layer of thick white foam - did anyone else suffer from that optical illusion?
I saw the image as normal until I read your post, now my brain has switched its interpretation!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

freiston wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 11:48pm It was only when I opened the larger image that that spanner stopped looking like it was sinking into/floating on a layer of thick white foam - did anyone else suffer from that optical illusion?
Yes.

I suspect that it's caused by the shadowed edge along the top of the object. Shadows are usually below the object that causes them. and we make up an alternative explanation: in this case that the object is depressing a soft material.

Does the effect disappear when the shadow is below the object?

I don't know why the larger image would lessen the effect.

Jonathan

IMG_20211009_163950.jpg
IMG_20211009_163950.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 399 times
freiston

Post by freiston »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 11:31am I suspect that it's caused by the shadowed edge along the top of the object. Shadows are usually below the object that causes them. and we make up an alternative explanation: in this case that the object is depressing a soft material.
That was my thinking too
Does the effect disappear when the shadow is below the object?
Yes
I don't know why the larger image would lessen the effect.
The Gestalt psychologist in me tells me that when looking at the larger image, I effectively isolate smaller parts of the image, such as the internal curve of the C spanner, and the overall effect is lost.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

No.....but then again I do have only one eye,no 3D in other words.