Campagnolo Chorus 11-speed FD (2015-on) - plastic insert

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Richard D

Campagnolo Chorus 11-speed FD (2015-on) - plastic insert

Post by Richard D »

I don’t know how many people run a Campagnolo front derailleur, but most models use a small plastic insert on the outside edge of the FD cage. An insert which in my case seems determined to go missing every few months - at which point it gets next to impossible to trim the thing to give you reliable downshifts while avoiding unshipping the chain on up-shifts. Irritatingly, as well as going missing regularly the cost to replace a piece of plastic about the size of a couple of matchsticks is a tenner a time.

I’ve 3D-printed a replacement that, whilst not quite as pretty as the OEM part, works completely reliably and only costs pennies to reprint if it goes walkabouts. At some point, I should upload it to my page on Thingiverse, because I cannot be the only person forever replacing the damned things.
foxyrider

Re: Campagnolo Chorus 11-speed FD (2015-on) - plastic insert

Post by foxyrider »

5 of my 6 bikes run full Campag (everything from SR downwards) and I have to say i've never 'lost' that bit of plastic! OTOH, if I do, I know where to come! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Richard D wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 12:51pm ... a Campagnolo front derailleur, but most models use a small plastic insert on the outside edge of the FD cage.
Can you upload a picture of it please?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've had a few Campag front mechs over the eons, and never had one with anything plastic on them at all, so I can't help at all.
Seems like a backward step to fit plastic parts on a front mech.
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Are they similar to these 10s inserts?
https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Campagn ... 24351.aspx
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Annoyingly Campagnolo appear to have redesigned the insert with every single FD redesign!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I just found the plastic insert I had to remove from my campag xenon 10 speed front mech, so it's unused and as new. It was the only way I could make the mech work with an 8 speed chain when I went to an 8 speed shimergo setup. If any interest I will post it to you for £5 to any UK address.

Similar but not identical to this.
127527.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D